Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky+ for christmas

This is a discussion on Sky+ for christmas within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; hey guys, I have a few questions so I will save alot of random banter and outline them, 1) I ...

pootsey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bicester
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky+ for christmas

hey guys,

I have a few questions so I will save alot of random banter and outline them,

1) I want to buy a sky+ box for my dad as a christmas present...any ideas on how to do this without him knowing?

2) is there anyway if I do the above I can carry on using the standard sky box (hiding the 2nd wire from installation) until xmas day when my dad can open up a box with the sky+ tuner in it?

3) How long would sky typically take to get round and install this second cable to my living room from the moment I order it?

4) Will sky just accept a 30 installation charge if I get a sky+ box from the likes of ebay and will they need to reprogram my viewing card sort of thing?

also... just as an idea:
      5) if I wanted would sky fit another coax cable to my dads bedroom at the same time as fitting the other cable for sky+ which would allow us to easily have multi room in the future or use our standard box for the free to air channels?

Thanks alot for your time and help

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky+ for christmas

Quote Originally Posted by pootsey View Post
      1) I want to buy a sky+ box for my dad as a christmas present...any ideas on how to do this without him knowing?
      Make sure he is out on the day of install. Then once the installer has gone , swap boxes over. You will probably have to ring Sky to pair the cards with the units

2) is there anyway if I do the above I can carry on using the standard sky box (hiding the 2nd wire from installation) until xmas day when my dad can open up a box with the sky+ tuner in it?
      I would have thought so see the bit out pairing above.

3) How long would sky typically take to get round and install this second cable to my living room from the moment I order it?
      Mine was within 7 days, however I would assume Sky are getting busier so I would ring to check.

4) Will sky just accept a 30 installation charge if I get a sky+ box from the likes of ebay and will they need to reprogram my viewing card sort of thing?
      Don't think so. It will cost you about 30 if a local installer does it, as long as you get a quad LNB with the Sky+ box off ebay

5) if I wanted would sky fit another coax cable to my dads bedroom at the same time as fitting the other cable for sky+ which would allow us to easily have multi room in the future or use our standard box for the free to air channels?
      afaik Sky will relocate the other box for you
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ooh that was quick, thanks.

now just to convince sky to sell me the box for 99 instead of 150.

I don't really want to pay 180 (inc installation) for sky+.

youravinalarrrf is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: MYBD
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited Broadband
      Router: Plusnet Hub Zero 2704n
      Thanks

My advice would be to try and find a local Sky ASA installer and see if they can do you the Sky+ Box @ 49 + 30 upgrade install deal currently doing the rounds as per this thread

Depends how the wiring of your existing install was done but I would try to avoid a Sky install if you can as from experience they will now only do the bare minimum and simply run any additional cables round skirting and over doors etc. They will not run cables under floors etc unless you do the work (furniture, carpets, lifting floorboards and in some cases even drilling) for them. A local installer is likely to be much more sympathetic to your requirements and run wires where you want them.

If you want to keep the existing box working until Christmas you will have to pair the card to the box then and NOT before.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by youravinalarrrf View Post
      My advice would be to try and find a local Sky ASA installer and see if they can do you the Sky+ Box @ 49 + 30 upgrade install deal currently doing the rounds as per this thread

Depends how the wiring of your existing install was done but I would try to avoid a Sky install if you can as from experience they will now only do the bare minimum and simply run any additional cables round skirting and over doors etc. They will not run cables under floors etc unless you do the work (furniture, carpets, lifting floorboards and in some cases even drilling) for them. A local installer is likely to be much more sympathetic to your requirements and run wires where you want them.

If you want to keep the existing box working until Christmas you will have to pair the card to the box then and NOT before.
      Okay, I'll check out my local fitters and get some quotes from them.

Just one thing...by the card pairing statement are you saying I'm gonna have to wait until christmas day to get my card paired to the sky+ box...if so is sky support open then and am I able to just phone them and say thats what im doing.

thanks!

Thanks

Yes. If you pair your card to the new box before Christmas it won't then work with your existing box. ie it won't decode your current subscription channels on the existing box.

Don't know if they open Christmas day. You would need to phone them and ask them to pair the card to your new box and enable the sky+ features.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

When the installer calls, he will pair the card to the box. After he has gone ring Sky unpair it from the Sky+ back to the normal one.

Xmas day, pair it back if Sky are open, if not just wait till Boxing Day for the full use of the Sky+

Sky may be able to automate it for you, no idea.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

Good thinking Batman!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sounds great, my dads actually working all christmas eve (I know, what a bore) so I could get it paired then if support isnt open on xmas day...

just gonna contact sky now to see when they are open around xmas.
      Last edited by pootsey; 18-11-07 at 10:26 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

lmao guys, you'll love this.

the two local firms that have got back to me have quoted in access of 150, I'd be better getting sky to fit the whole thing as that way I can upgrade it for 99...gonna keep looking locally though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast