Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Alternative PVR to Sky+

This is a discussion on Alternative PVR to Sky+ within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi Guys, Sky+ would make my life complete but sadly i live in rented accomodation and im not allowed to ...

mcyi9jm2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161 2480990
      Broadband ISP: Tiscali 1 meg
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Alternative PVR to Sky+

Hi Guys,
      Sky+ would make my life complete but sadly i live in rented accomodation and im not allowed to have the extra wiring installed, this leaves me still wanting a hard drive recorder.

Does anyone know if you can get one that records automatically when you autoview a program or do you have to set it seperately to the sky box like with a video recorder. They all seem to have freeview tuners and program guides and im not interested in any of that, just a means of recording digitally so if anyone has this kind of set up id love to know what your using.

Thanks
      mcyi9jm2

2. Advertisement
      Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Alternative PVR to Sky+

Freeview PVRs cannot record from external sources.

Maybe hunt around for a TiVo?

Or buy a Sky+ box yourself, & just use a single LNB feed & put up with having to use "workarounds".

I live in a building with a communal dish, so only have one feed, yet have Sky HD with Sky+ functions (eBay purchase, self installed).

I use an SPS1 smart priority switch to split the feed. The switch has a flylead which goes to pin 8 on the Sky HD box's TV SCART. When the Sky HD box is turned on, the voltage on pin 8 tells the switch to give priority to tuner 1 (the main viewing tuner, although it is also used for recording what you watch, or dual recordings). When the Sky HD box is turned off, the lack of voltage on pin 8 tells the switch to give priority to tuner 2 (the main one used for recording, e.g. background or unattended recordings).

Not a solution for a Sky+ box though unfortunately, as you need to use the TV SCART for the TV! (as I have Sky HD, I use HDMI, so the TV SCART on the STB is free to connect the flylead to).

Other workarounds, for one feed on input 1, are to schedule dummy recordings, which start before & end after what you *actually* want to record. The box will uses input 2 to record the dummy recording, & fail, & then tuner 1 will be used for what you really want.

mcyi9jm2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161 2480990
      Broadband ISP: Tiscali 1 meg
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Tezcatlipoca, it had never occured to me that you could use sky+ with only one feed, ive read about the workarounds and it seems livable with until i move to a place with to two feeds, i wish sky would modify the + box though to cope with one feed without the workarounds..

I've read some confusing messages about having to leave the sky + box on the channel you want to record when using one LNB, could you or anyone clarify if it has basic sky+ functionality with only one feed when using dummy recordings i.e. can i do a series link and record programmes on different channels as long as the times aren;t conflicting and would it always have to be left on standby..

I guess this is a sky+ post now so am happy to repost there if any mods want that.

Thanks

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Yeah, I also wish Sky would realise that there are *many* people out there who simply can't have two feeds, & modify the box accordingly. Just a little setting to tell the box it only has one feed, so it knows to use the correct tuner & doesn't confuse itself.

Ah well.

OK, if you just have one feed & it's connected to LNB1 -

You can record what you are watching.

You can schedule unattended recordings in the Planner, to be recorded when the box is on Standby, so long as you have some sort of dummy recording scheduled, which starts before & ends after what you actually want to record.

You can do a Series Link, & you can record programmes on different channels - but you can only record one thing at a time, and all unattended recordings require the box to be in standby (if it is turned on rather than in standby, it can only record what you are watching).

There's loads & loads on this over at DigitalSpy, probably much more detail, although it would require a bit of searching.

One thing I've read of people doing is to set a manual 24hr recording of a radio channel, so that tuner 2 is always kept busy.
      Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 18-11-07 at 11:43 PM.