Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky + using a Communial Dish

This is a discussion on Sky + using a Communial Dish within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi, Just in the process of moving house. The flat I'm moving into has a communial dish and 2 sky ...

Sambuca is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky + using a Communial Dish

Hi,

Just in the process of moving house. The flat I'm moving into has a communial dish and 2 sky connections are provided on the wall in the lounge.

The builder has advised me that only one of the connections will work and it will be up to the tenants to share the cost of an addtional reciever and enable two signals (which could take a long time for everyone to agree).

Is there a device/adapter that would allow me to run 2 signals for my sky + box from the one working connection and won't cost a fortune? Long shot I know but you guys will know better then me.

Also, what type of cable will I need to run from sky + box (female connection) to wall connection (also female connection). Don't know the correct names for the connection types. Take it I could pick up a cable from a high street store (dixons, maplin etc).

Cheers for help

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky + using a Communial Dish

There is no way to get two connections from one that will allow you to use Sky+ properly. If you fit a splitter you will still only receive either the horizontal or vertical channels and if the programs you want to watch/record are on different ones you will have problems.

You need to get another connection to either the dish if there is a spare point on the LNB or the satellite distribution point if you have one.

You can still use your Sky+ box but can only record what Sky channel you are tuned in to (ie watching)

The connection you want is an f-f plug (not sure if you will be able to buy this over the counter).