Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sony RDR HXD 870 & Sky + connections

This is a discussion on Sony RDR HXD 870 & Sky + connections within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi there, anyone out there got any advice about connections? Trying to connect my sony dvd recorder so that it ...

tubelad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: getting sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sony RDR HXD 870 & Sky + connections

Hi there,

anyone out there got any advice about connections?

Trying to connect my sony dvd recorder so that it will recognise Sky + so I can record.

At the moment I can't get it to recognise the Sky + signal.

For a basic set up I have a IXOS XHT611 scart from Samsung tv to Sky box (tv scart) and a QED HDMI from tv to recorder.

In order to get the recorder to recognise the Sky, do I run the same type scart lead from the Sky box's VCR scart to the DVD recorder's Line 1-decoder or Line 3 - TV? And then there's an RF cable, does this run from the Sky box RF1 to the DVD Recorder's digital arial 'IN' ?

Is that correct? Is there anything else i need to do?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sony RDR HXD 870 & Sky + connections

I would think you should connect from the VHS Sky socket into the decoder socket. Alternatively you could also use the RF cable from the Sky+ out to the Sony aerial, this would need to be tuned in as a channel on the Sony box. You should not need both. I am not sure about the HDMI cable, this could be your problem. To check, run a Scart cable from your Sony box TV socket to your TV.

I have my Lite-on set up like this and it works perfectly. I also have a scart cable running from the Plus box to the TV Scart No1. I can copy from the hard disk to a DVD and check the progress by flipping to Scart No2 on the TV. This allows me to watch the TV while copying on the fly.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

tubelad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: getting sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This is not working.

What I need is an actual picture example featuring my equiptment

getting very fed up!!!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Have a look at this page Connecting components

If this URL does not take you there, go HERE and select the Connectivity link and navigate to what you want to do. For some reason the 870 is not shown, but the 860 should do.

I hope this help

NB. Make sure the scart leads are good quality, preferably with a full pin layout.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

nognolan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have an Sony 860 DVD recorder, and would suggest you connect the Sky+ TV out to Line 3 In on the DVD Recorder via a scart. Keep the HDMI connected between DVD Recorder and your TV.

This set up has main two benefits over your current one, or one that uses the VCR out or RF aeriel connections on the SKY+:

- The Sky+ TV Out on the Sky+ is better quality (RGB) than the VCR Out or the RF aeriel connection.
      - The DVD Recorder will upscale the Sky picture to up to 1080i before sending it to the TV. On the 860 I have to have the DVD Recorder switched on to achieve this as the pass through to HDMI doesn't seem to work when it's powered off.

You will probably also have to check the LINE settings in the DVD menu's to ensure you have RGB associated to Line 3, and I recall there may be a setting for the resolution on the HDMI too - I think I have mine set to 'automatic' so the DVD Recorder upscales to the HDMI at the highest resolution that it can.

As long as you then have the DVD Recorder input selected to Line 3 it should record anything put out from the Sky+ (including recordings played out using the Copy function in the planner), and you will be able to watch Sky+ on the TV. The TV will also need to be set to the HDMI line in setting to watch the upscaled picture.

Beware though that following a power cut, the DVD Recorder may reset itself back to Line 1, so you may occasionally wonder why you have lost the ability to see Sky+. Just set it back to Line 3 using the Input Select button on the remote.

I haven't done these but I think these may be other opportunuties you have by not using the VCR Out or RF Aeriel connections on the Sky+ for your main Samsung TV watching:
      - The VCR Out on the Sky+ can be used to another piece of equipment, such as a VCR or another slave TV elsewhere in the house.
      - The RF aerial out on the Sky+ can also be used with a magic eye connection to another TV in the house.

I hope that helps.
      Last edited by nognolan; 19-09-07 at 11:13 AM.