Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Noisy sky plus box

This is a discussion on Noisy sky plus box within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi, just wondered if anyone else has this problem. I recently got a new sky plus box installed. It's great ...

ebacardi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Noisy sky plus box

Hi, just wondered if anyone else has this problem. I recently got a new sky plus box installed. It's great except for one thing, it is quite noisy. When it's recording you can hear the hard disk and fan running which is fine. But when it's not recording, it STILL makes the same noise. Do the disk and fan never go off even when you're just watching the tv? It's a Thomson 160 model. Has anyone got a Pace TDS470N - are they any quieter? Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      jeffnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Noisy sky plus box

got the same problem as you, I've just called up sky and booked an engineer to come out as the noise from the fan/box is louder than my telly!! will update forum after Monday

D24601 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sutton-In-Ashfield
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ebacardi View Post
      Hi, just wondered if anyone else has this problem. I recently got a new sky plus box installed. It's great except for one thing, it is quite noisy. When it's recording you can hear the hard disk and fan running which is fine. But when it's not recording, it STILL makes the same noise. Do the disk and fan never go off even when you're just watching the tv? It's a Thomson 160 model. Has anyone got a Pace TDS470N - are they any quieter? Thanks.
      Well have to say i have that pace sky+ box & i cant hear a thing from it at all,

But i know what you mean about the fan noise,But my noise is the Funia DVD recorder when thats recording(not very often these days)
      D

big bob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCCAR
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I have the Pace box and i can hear the hard disc but it's only very faint and has no effect on my viewing.

jeffnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

my sky+ box is thompson

jamesyboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've had all three box types since I started with sky plus two months ago and the thomson is by far the noisiest!

The first one I had was a pace which broke and was replaced with an amstrad which broke and was sluggish.. which was then replaced with a thomson which broke and was the noisiest thing in the world.

Replaced with a fourth box (again a thomson) which is pretty quiet but still noiser than the other two makes..

Simple thing - if you ain't happy get it replaced

James

justjames is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: THAD
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi. I am new to sky+, but I have the Pace TDS470N. Bought off ebay with knackered hard drive, replaced with upgraded 250gb and I have to say its very quiet. It stays cool even when recording and watching recordings at the same time. I have turned off anytime and instant rewind as I never use them. The fan is silent, I can hear the hard drive whiring but only when I sit next to it. When I put it into standby this morning before I left for work, I listened to see if the hard drive would spin down and within 20 seconds it did. Hope this is of some help.

rwdjones is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi JustJames,
      Are you saying that the hard disk within these can be replaced with any purchased hard drive?
      I have a Thomson, if and or when the drive fails (out of warranty) i would like to replace it with a larger drive.
      Regards Bob

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

@rwd, you can upgrade the hard drive yourself, try a google search on the subject - I found a few links on other forums so did not feel it would be right to post a link here.

justjames is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: THAD
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@ rwdjones
      The hard drive in a sky+ and HD box is basically a pc hard drive, however ones supplied in the box are 'consumer electronics' grade, which means they generally run at 5400rpm and have several error checking etc functions turned off.

Sky+ boxes, from what I have read, seem to be very choosy about which drives they will accept. However I have not had any trouble using a Maxtor 250gb code STM3250820A in my Pace TDS470N. Its a 7200rpm desktop drive, seems to work quickly and quietly. You will have to check compatibility with the Thomson.

There is a long post on Digital Spy forums under sky+, its a sticky at the top, about upgrading your hard drive which you may find usefull. Once you have selected your hardware it is very easy to replace the hard drive, just like a small computer really. The internal configuration is different between each manufacturer as I believe Thomson boxes hold the hard drive in a plastic container with a fan. For my Pace it was a matter of undoing a couple screws to get the case off and four screws inside. Detach the ribbon cable and power, swap hard drive and plug cables back in. Five mins max. You will need a security torx bit to take off the case, but this is a couple of pounds from maplins. James

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast