Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Noisy sky plus box

This is a discussion on Noisy sky plus box within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; I have a Thompson box and suffer from the same problem. One thing you could try is to to disable ...

greyseal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Noisy sky plus box

I have a Thompson box and suffer from the same problem.

One thing you could try is to to disable the 'Anytime TV' (press 'services' on your remote then select 6 - Anytime TV')

Apparently this records certain programs that Sky think you might want to watch. I'm not sure what the selection criteria is.

This means that your box could be recording for hours, at any time during the day.
      I was told by a Sky help desk operator that this couldn't be turned off. She obviously hasn't checked the options available.

I did this months ago and noticed that the HDD switched off about 1 minute after putting the box to standby.
      Unfortunately the noise has just returned so there must be something else keeping the HDD running.

2. Advertisement
      VaughanS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01908
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The continuous whirring of the hard drive and fan, is I assume, necessary for the system to degrag the hard drive, which when you think of it will need to be done on a daily basis to maintain optimum space usage of the hard-drive, just like with any other computer hard drive. There is no manual access to system defrag - so you'll have to accept that the hard-drive will remain on even when the Sky Plus box is turned off until defrag is complete, which can take hours!

satguru is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

BE CAREFUL what you change in here - you could stop your Digibox working. I will accept no responsibility if you go delving into this menu and you change something you shouldn't have..... Proceed AT YOUR OWN RISK!
      press SERVICES, then number 4, then number 0, then number 1, click on SELECT. then number 7 sky+ planner rebuild. this restarts your sky box and fan should go quit if didn't help do number 8 and reset box at your own risk!

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I'm not sure why you think restarting the receiver would cause the fan/HDD to quieten down. Chances are that the drive and fan are just getting to that age where they are wearing out and unless you leave it turned off they will be just as noisey when you turn it back on.

You could turn off anytime as already suggested above, you could also turn of the instant rewind facility, this will greatly reduce the amount of usage on the hard drive but eventually, you will need to look into replacing the receiver or the parts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123