Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky+ Over running programs recording problems

This is a discussion on Sky+ Over running programs recording problems within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Just had a sky+ installed and thought i would take full advantage and record the f1 today. All looked good ...

fezz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Parkstone (When it works)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky+ Over running programs recording problems

Just had a sky+ installed and thought i would take full advantage and record the f1 today. All looked good and i watched it back this afternoon only to find it stopped 5 laps before the end!!! Gutted!!

Phoned sky to be told its a known issue and all sky+ boxes can only record programs that over run or under run by +/- 5minutes.

Sky's response was to watch the reply tonight or they can tell me who won. Grrrrrrrr......

Anyone else encountered this? They couldnt even tell me when/if it will be fixed

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky+ Over running programs recording problems

Why on earth did you ring Sky, they didn't broadcast it and cant be held responsible if it over runs.

By default you can set the box to add x mins at the front and end of the program, but its the broadcaster that is responible for sending the right signal.

Ie, if ITV had reaslied that the GP was going to over run, then tehy could have updated the EPG info which would have meant athat the sky+ box automatically continued to record. As ITV didn't do this, the box stopped recording based on the time that ITV had said it would end in the epg.

You need to pass the feedback to ITV as they could have prevented this from happening if they kept their EPG info up to date.

Recording live events will always be a risk, just like VHS when your 3hr tape ran out!!!

In the future, you could always set the 'next' program to also record.

fezz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Parkstone (When it works)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

reddwarfcrew: sky said it was a fault with their boxes and they were looking into it! they said it happens to every channel so its not ITV specific

Exchange:
      Thanks

yes that's right., it does happen to every channel, my post only mentioned ITV as the F1 was on ITV!

What they mean is that they are working with the broadcastors to try and get them to provide updated EPG info to prevent the problems from happening, but if the broadcastors don't play ball, there is nothing that sky can do.

The same happened with the Open on the BBC yesterday, the open was due to finsih at 7.05pm on the EPG, the bbc did update the EPG to run till 8pm.... but not until 7.10pm so any sky+ recordings would have already finished. Not Sky's fault, but BBCs.

Sky take the brunt of complaints even thou it is not their fault so it is in Sky's interest to try and do something, but it would be better if they explained the real situation to customers..... obviously you are reliant on the member of staff having the right level of knowlege, which is the case with every companies call centre.

My original post still stands, the reason why your program didn't record in full was ITVs fault and not Sky's, plain and simple.

Exchange:
      Thanks

You may be interested in this thread which backs up what I have said:

European GP - Overrun=End Missed - Digital Spy Forums

The official response from ITV (who admitted it was their fault):

"Thank you for your email and comments which have been noted.

Unfortunately the race overran and we kept with it until the end but we had British Super bike fans patiently waiting for their programme.

It is not possible to change an EPG during a live programme as we never know if it will overrun. To add to this, it takes several hours for a change in EPG to become effective – this is the case for BBC and Sky too, so even if we had been able to change the EPG on this occasion it would have not made any difference to the recording made on your Sky+ box.

I am sure you can appreciate that for ITV to keep sports events free to air, it is necessary for us to obtain advertising revenue to facilitate this, hence the commercial breaks.

Kind Regards,"

There comment about taking hours to change the EPG is rubbish as I proved with the Open Golf on the BBC.