Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky + and phonelines

This is a discussion on Sky + and phonelines within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; I currently have a Sky digibox which is NOT plugged into the phoneline and works perfectly well. We have been ...

uren is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky + and phonelines

I currently have a Sky digibox which is NOT plugged into the phoneline and works perfectly well. We have been told by SKy that we need a phoneline for Sky +. I understand that we need it for installation, but what features would we miss out on if we did not have the Sky plus box?

2. Advertisement
      Tim1964 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hoddesdon
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky + and phonelines

Did you mean "what features if the phone was not connected"?

Your box is subsidised by a company that hopes you will use the dial up from the box to order movies/PPV events/online shopping/Online games etc.

You can pay a one off fee of 25 (I think) to not have to have the box connected to the phoneline.

If you did mean "what features would we miss out on if we did not have the Sky plus box?" then you will not be able to record one channel while watching another/record 2 channels at once and still be able to watch a recording at the same time/pausing and rewinding live TV.

If anyone still watches 'live' with Sky+ then IMO they've missed the whole point of the Sky+.

For more details check out Sky+

uren is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry - I meant what would i miss out on if I didn't have the phoneline connected which you have answered.
      Thank you

onebubblygal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: littleborough
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky+ boxes are designed to be "future proof", the phone line allows the box to download software updates etc, for the first 12 months the phone line has to be connected to a working landline, this is mandatory. Ps: manual enablement is not permitted with sky+, at the point of sale, no phone line no sky+ box!

Sue

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

sorry but software updates are done via satellite and not phone line.

You only have to have it plugged in if you buy a subsidised box. If you buy one off ebay, then you dont need a phone line and can easilly get the sky+ features switched on by sky, it does not need to be plugged in the phone socket to get the sky switched on as it is a satellite update as is pairing up the box with the viewing card.

You can do the pairing of the box manually without phoning sky, but for that you do need the box to be connected to teh phone line as the box dials out.

onebubblygal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: littleborough
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that information, will have to check with my employer tomorrow. If I am wrong then we will have to change the training and information we give out to the customers. If you buy a box off e bay you still need the phoneline to be connected as this is stated in terms and conditions of the sky+ subscription, also sky dont provide information to a sky+ box via the satellite, it is done via the modem in the sky+ box which needs to be connected to your phone line.

Sue