Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Getting sky+ what is the best way to connect to TV

This is a discussion on Getting sky+ what is the best way to connect to TV within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi, new user here i currently have sky digial and i'm getting sky+ instaled on monday. Currently I have my ...

leekey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Getting sky+ what is the best way to connect to TV

Hi,

new user here i currently have sky digial and i'm getting sky+ instaled on monday. Currently I have my digibox connected with a scart lead and picture quality is pretty good asd it is a new 32" LCD tv. I was wondering though would I get a better picture if I connect my new sky+ box with s-video?

thanks in advance

Lee

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: Getting sky+ what is the best way to connect to TV

Connect mine using RGB, but do you go TV Sky DVD recorder, or TV DVD recorder Sky?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

At present my system is set like this

Sky Scart RGB 1 to TV Scart RGB1
      Sky RF 1 to VHS Video RF In
      VHS Video RF Out To TV RF In
      DVD Player Scart (only one scar socket) to TV Scart RGB2

I don't have a DVD recorder as yet thats why I'm getting Sky+ installed on Monday so i can watch one sky channel why recording another because with present setup I can video only the sky channel I am watching!

The TV I have is an AOC LCD 32" which I don't think is a bad tv for the price (385 5yr warrenty fully delivered) and it has the following inputs on it

21Pin SCART1 (RGB , S-Video or CVBS ) x 2
      HDMI x 1 (Audio/Video with HDCP)
      CVBS (Composite) x 1
      S-Video x 1
      Y,PbPr x 1
      Audio L/R x 1

Now would I get a better picture using one of the other inputs on my TV from my new sky+ box when i get it instead of scart?

Thanks again

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

So you've been recording to your VCR via RF? Why didn't you run a Scart lead to it from the digibox?
      Scart is a connection, S-video is a signal. You can get S-video adaptors to run through a Scart connector.....
      Use Scart and set the digibox to output an RGB signal, that way you get the benefit of Scart switching as well as the best picture output
      You might want to look for an upscaling DVD player which you could connect via the HDMI socket though. Mine seems to hugely improve the image from every disk I've run through it so far.
      Last edited by greyrider; 05-07-07 at 11:54 AM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Greyrider thanks for your comments,

I'm not to bothered about the video recorder as a i am getting sky+ on monday and I will no doubt in the very near future buy a DVD player/recorder. My original question was basically when I have sky+ fitted would I get a better picture useing something else instead of RGB scart?

Regarding DVD upscalers I have read on many various forums that the quality of the picture really depends if the dvd has a better upscaller than the TV. I have asked questions before in other forums about using a DVD player/recorder with upscalling and connecting sky so the chain would go

SKY scart RGB out to DVD scart RGB in
      DVD HDMI out to TV HDMI in

and again the responses I have had before basically saying that yes you might get a better dvd playback if the upscaller on the dvd player is better than the TV and as long as the dvd player/recorder can pass the sky signal through you will be able to watch sky but the picture quality will be no better than using sky to TV with RGB scart.

Anybody know any different?

Thanks again

Exchange:
      Thanks

Actually, I didn't mean to suggest plumbing the digibox through the DVD player - I have mine connected solely to HDMI for playback as it's not a recorder. As far as I'm aware (and that doesn't say much), unless the DVD has a digital tuner, any external signals are passed through with no upscaling taking place. And I did answer your original question too. It seems that until I can afford a SKY HD box, all will remain in the eye of this beholder
      Last edited by greyrider; 05-07-07 at 02:17 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

greyrider,

sorry mate you did answer my question i shouldn't speed read, lol btw I do have output as RGB as I said in first post the quality is pretty good but i was wondering if there was a way to get it better.

so we are both agreed that you cannot upscale the sky signal through a dvd upscaller to get a better picture, here's another thought what about once my Sky+ has been installed if I buy a sky HD box and install it myself, but don't subscribe to HD at an extra 10 per month I think I read on here in the HD forum that the HD box does upscale SD sky maybe that will give me a better picture quality, like an upscaled dvd ??

There are so called authorised sky retailers on ebay selling HD boxes for about 175, if you got sky+ already then it should be just a case of changing boxes over and calling sky to pair your card with the box. If you just got standard sky then you need a quad lnb and extra cable again not that hard to set up IMHO.

Lee
      Last edited by leekey; 05-07-07 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Thought of something else

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yep, everything I've read states that the Sky HD box does upscaling, hence my slowly growing pile of pennies. And, of course, without a subscription you'd still get anything the BBC throws out in HD. Once you've Sky+ in place, then yes, changing to a HD box is "merely" a matter of swapping the connections over and then ringing to get your card paired up.

Miracle_Boy66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSHAM
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Just incase anyone picks up on this thread & is still unsure about which is better, S-video or RGB Scart. I've tried to write a simplistic version of how the two are different.

RGB (Scart) gets it's name from the way the signal is split. RGB Means RED, GREEN & BLUE. The signal is seperated into 3 seperate colours, which should reduce signal "noise" as the 3 colours are not being bundled together down the same signal path.

S-Video works by splitting the signal not into 3 but into 2. These two singals are Luminance (brightness) & Chrominance (Colour)

Both should work better than the standard RF signal from an Arieal

It is well documented that RGB is far better than S-Video signal quality wise.

HDMI is of course designed to work with High Def equipment, Something I've yet to explore so can't really comment on that.

Hope this helps somone out!!!