Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New user

This is a discussion on New user within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Now that Sky+ is free for Sky subscribers I'm thinking about getting a box (I just have the standard box ...

ianb11 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

New user

Now that Sky+ is free for Sky subscribers I'm thinking about getting a box (I just have the standard box at the mo).

Do I have to buy the box from Sky as 99 + 30 installation seems a bit expensive?

If I don't get it from Sky will it just work out of the box or do I have to "register" with Sky?

Lastly, is it easy enough to install myself (same connections as existing box etc) or do I need to get someone in?

Thanks!

2. Advertisement
      greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: New user

You can buy from anywhere, there's a lot going on Ebay - I couldn't have one from there, no guarantee, no buy - Sky installers, local press. Some people claim that ringing Sky and threatening to cancel will get you one free or vastly cheaper, but I doubt that'd work as you have a broadband contract....
      Once installed, you have to contact Sky and ask them to pair your viewing card to the new box, you'd have to do this if you only changed to a new, standard one. If you've a standard box then you'll need to make sure that the LNB on your dish will take a second cable - quad LNBs aren't usually fitted as standard installs. So you may need a new LNB and then either replace your existing, single line with a paired set (shotgun) or run another length alongside it - don't forget to buy a pair of F connectors. Easy
      If you don't replace the LNB and stay with a single cable, the box will still work but will only record the same channel that you're presently watching. There's a not bad description here eBay.co.uk Guides - How to Install Sky Digital Sky Plus Sky yourself
      If you do fit a quad LNB, you'll also be able to run the Sky+ in one room with your "old" box in another, without a viewing card it'll only pick up the free to air channels, you can either bung them 10 a month for a multi-room subscription (requires permanent 'phone connection) or buy a freesat card for 20, one off payment, and use it for the free to view stuff freesat from Sky - A new way to get free digital satellite TV
      If you get it done by a Sky installer, chances are it'll also mean a new contract and you'll need the 'phone connected. I threw money at a neighbour's son who then, reluctantly, spent all of five minutes up the ladders to make the connections at the LNB for me.
      Last edited by greyrider; 04-07-07 at 09:59 AM.

ianb11 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi.

Appreciate your comments, I didn't think it was as simple as just changing the box!

When Sky used to charge a tenner for the Sky+ subscription I didn't think it was worth it but now it's free I'm a little more tempted but don't really want to pay them 99 for the box & 30 to install it.

I'm not convinced I could do it myself (my cable currently goes over the roof) so if I could pick up a cheap box I may consider it.

I'm not sure I trust eBay either though!!

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Actually, doling it is a lot easier than reading about it, if you see what I mean. I cheated - we moved the box from the front of the house to the rear - and drilled holes under the weather boarding and ran the cables through the loft space. The hardest part is changing the LNB. Mine was held in by a plastic push in pin which levered out, the LNB then slid out of the dish arm and the new quad one slotted in it's place, no problem. The F connectors are a screw fitting and everything was throughly wrapped up afterwards with self amalgamating tape.