Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky + Engineer rant!

This is a discussion on Sky + Engineer rant! within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; This is my first time posting on these boards but have been lurking and browsing for a while. Afraid my ...

Rabbitgirl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 020 8303
      Broadband ISP: Sky + with Family Package
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky + Engineer rant!

This is my first time posting on these boards but have been lurking and browsing for a while.

Afraid my first thread is a rant!!!

I have had Sky+ for a few years now and find that my boxes generally last about 9 months max before the hard drive starts failing. Okay the first time around as in warranty but the replacements are only covered for 90 days so I took out the extra cover.

My most recent box started showing the tell tale signs about two months ago but I could NOT convince customer services to let me have an engineer until last Friday when they said one would be with me between 8am and 1pm on Sunday. At 8am I get a call saying he would be with me between 1pm and 6pm. No, I said I have to go out this afternoon the call is scheduled for before 1pm. The engineer said "I have too many jobs to do before 1pm" so I said "okay, get your supervisor to call me to reschedule". He hangs up but turns up at the house at 9.30! He literally threw a new box into my living room. Took out the old one (didn't even look at it), connected the new one and then told me I would have to ring Sky to get the software installed myself. That I did.

After an hour I tried to rewind the cricket..... the box froze......... made an awful noise and turned off!! I rang Sky, gave them model and version number etc, they told me to check all connections, re-power and "it will now be fine". I went out leaving it to record that afternoon.

Came home, tried to playback recorded programme, box squeaks and crackles constantly, then froze and turned off.

Rang Sky again - "check all your connections" Again gave them the version and model number "no your software is correct" ring us if it fails again. "Can I just book another engineer visit?" "No it's isn't necessary". Recorded programme has been wiped from the planner.

Watching telly... box still squeaking and crackling......... box turns off!!! Rang Sky again - repeat of previous performance.

Same thing happened again half an hour later....... rang Sky.. this time on hearing the model and version number I am told that I need a software download which I do. I manage to watch telly for an hour before bed.

Next morning I set it to record something and go on school run. Come back, playback recorded programme - still squeaking and shuts down after five minutes. Ring Sky and say I MUST have an engineer but I have the school run to do - helpful agent says that's fine and schedules the call for 9.20 to 1pm today. Box turns off at 11am on Monday and turns off every 5 minutes if you do get it to successfully power up. Unable to watch telly from 12am Monday onwards as box simply doesn't work.

Today at 8am just as I'm leaving call from engineer to say he is on his way! I say the call should have been scheduled for after 9.20 he says no I'm on my way now. I say well I'm taking my children to school now. He hangs up! Get back to a message saying that call has been cancelled as "you are unable to be at home during the scheduled time span".

Rang Customer Relations - they say the call hasn't been cancelled the engineer WILL be here between 9.15 and 1pm. Well it's 1.20 now........ What's the betting he'll arrive when I'm out collecting my children from school!

So wish I could get cable here...........

2. Advertisement
      Rabbitgirl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 020 8303
      Broadband ISP: Sky + with Family Package
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky + Engineer rant!

Okay, so engineer showed at 5pm. Installed a further refurbed box! It worked for a while but has turned off 3 times in the last 24 hours!

I've had an e-mail from customer relations saying a "Senior Customer Engineer" has been booked for the 19th and to call (the normal 0870 number) if not convenient. Well I called to see whether it was an am, pm or all day call and guess what.......... no record of any engineer being booked at all! "Customer Relations don't book engineer visits madam"!

Any suggestions for what I need to do to get a working Sky+ system?

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If your outisde your 12 month minimum contract threaten to leave, that usually bucks them up or if that don't work ask them for their legal departments address as you are suing them and want to know where to send the court paperwork.

Taking somebody to court is fairly cheap now and can be done over the internet for the court paperwork (it starts at 30 and head up the larger the claim you make.)

Either one of those routes should be sufficient.

Mr KP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wembley
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Threats may or may not work, but I wouldnt bet on an engineer coming to your residence anytime soon as they are so elusive. May be you want to check that your Sky+ box gets enough airflow over it as overheating can damage it and can cause it to malfunction. Do not put anything on top of it.