Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Grainy picture sky+ with samsung 32 lcd

This is a discussion on Grainy picture sky+ with samsung 32 lcd within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; I got sky+ installed last weekend and my setup is as follows: - Sky + box (Thomson) linked to Samsung ...

hungry_hog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Grainy picture sky+ with samsung 32 lcd

I got sky+ installed last weekend and my setup is as follows:
      - Sky + box (Thomson) linked to Samsung LE32 LCD via RGB scart (Progold cable). Sky+ box is in 16:9 mode, RGB, medium contrast.

The picture is not bad but slightly grainy / pixellated. Compare this to the xbox360 connected via component which looks awesome.
      Also have a Samsung DVR player (upscaling) connected via HDMI. Again looks grainy.

When I run the xbox it uses "game mode". the DVR and sky+ do not have "modes" as such and I am guessing this is why they do not look quite right. Anyone else in a simlar situation who can help?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      madrat is offline Banned
      Exchange: Hinckley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Grainy picture sky+ with samsung 32 lcd

Basically HD TV's are crap unless you have a HD feed or an up scaler. I spent 600 to find this out. Luckily I got a refund.

hungry_hog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

so you're saying i need sky hd to get the benefit?

which only has about three HD channels...

oh well at least i'm futureproofed...

Shadowman is offline SkyUser Clan Leader
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

where u menctioned modes there are you watching sky on av1 or just chanel 9 or 0 on the tv

madrat is offline Banned
      Exchange: Hinckley
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I'm affraid so yes you need SKY HD or a HD feed to get the full benafit of a HD TV

jimmycobra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: shaw
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

while i don't doubt that a hd picture is better than a standard digi picture im almost sure most lcd and plasma have an upscaler in the TV. that's why upscale DVD players have had a mixed review, as most people say they cant tell the difference between a standard DVD player and an upscaler, they say that an upscaling DVD player only lightens the load for the TV. the resolution of a flat screen TV and the quality of the upscale chip play a big part in PQ. the quality of the transmission is also a factor how much information is in the stream, im not sure that all the sky channels carry the same size of data per minute, please forgive me if i am wrong as i only half noticed this a while back. but i recorded a film on a channel a short while later it was on again on another channel but the recorded file was smaller even after i edited out the adverts on both. which would suggest that some channels carry a better picture than others. this is more evident when viewing freeview sources. i have spent hours in front of my Hitachi plasma and configured it in all ways imaginable even the sky+ ends up as component feed to the TV it gives a softer picture. make sure you are not viewing from the vcr out from sky as this is only composite and is an inferior standard i have sky+ TV out to the DVD recorder and view it through that i can set it from the DVD recorder to either RGB or component with progressive scan this happens to give what i see as a good picture.