Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

The Box keeps beeping!

This is a discussion on The Box keeps beeping! within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi folks, I've just had Sky+ installed today. Its a Thomson DSI 8210. So far so good, though the installers ...

deskmonkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bishop Auckland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The Box keeps beeping!

Hi folks,

I've just had Sky+ installed today. Its a Thomson DSI 8210. So far so good, though the installers left a canny mess outside, and seem to have joined one of the cables inside with insulation tape! And didn't wire up a permenant telecom line either, but am not sure whether thats my responsibility or not.

The Box works though.

My question though is that the box seems to be beeping a couple of times every five minutes or so - the missus is getting a bit miffed.

Is there a reason for this?

2. Advertisement
      Shadowman is offline SkyUser Clan Leader
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: The Box keeps beeping!

at the sound of the beep the time will be lol

there should be no beeps -on its owne though perhaps beep noise was left on for changing chanels go into its set up and take a look

although for the instalaction itself that is 1 shoddy piece of work they have done i would ring up and get it redone sorted the only reasion for the duct tape was if they ran out of cable although it will work fine you might get problems later on

most installers ive seen like to use normal tv cable and not the thicker proper cableing i had the problem once where the wind nicked the cable on the guttering water got in and down to the box-well u can imagion the mess of that
      - the guy 2 doors down from me constintly has to go around replacing the cables the sky installers put on as it is the cheapeast crap they can buy for the install--his words while the tv cableing works fine it is not what should be getting used

as for the mess outside the house that should have not been the case i beleave it is a contractor sky hires to do installs so they arnt too good it seems where you are at

Thanks

The contractor actually mentioned that he'd never had one that beeped - at first we thought it was because it was going through updates etc from Sky, But as its doing it now as well thats obviously not the case.

The installation was a pile of pants. They were supposed to be booked in for a sky+ install and multiroom installation. Both of them rushed through the job far too quickly. They didn't even set the remotes up, nor changed the settings from 4:3 to 16:9.

As they haven't installed any telecoms cable, am I expected to do it myself or do I contact sky and get them to sort it out?

Russ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Bridge (ESLVB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER115
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Have a look here regarding the "beep"? > "Thompson" Sky+ box - Digital Spy Forums in particular post #22

Also, regarding the wiring being the cheapest crap they can buy, in our experience if you actually get one of Sky's own installers rather than a '3rd party engineer', they use the better quality gear and do a far better job of it.
      http://www.speedtest.net/

Users armed with a little knowledge are dangerous things!
      Step away from the keyboard slowly............your right to use the internet has been revoked!
      You have a 'PEBKAC' problem

Exchange:
      Thanks

hi yes contact sky and tell them so send some one that knows what there doing to do the job

russ your right though the one i had was and is known to be one of Sky's own installers-the main one for this area
      and used the crappy cable though with hired 3rd party installers therell indeed be good and extreemly dodjey ones

anyhow contact sky informe them this is not on and to get it installed and installed right this time they also are supposed to show you the basicks on how to use your remote it -the beeping now looks like it is no where near set up to how it should be

we got multy room set up last year i now have half a brick missing half way up the house instead of 1-2 holes drilled through as the noobe decided to use a blunt bit and changed that to something else end result dam big hole witch they didnt fix despite telling them to get it sorted all this from a sky installer

Thanks

[QUOTE=Russ;77185]Have a look here regarding the "beep"? > "Thompson" Sky+ box - Digital Spy Forums in particular post #22
      QUOTE]

Cheers for that, but thats not the noise. The noise sounds similar to the low battery warning a smoke detector gives off to alert you. Its almost identical but not as loud.

It happens randomly around 8 or 9 times an hour.

irvin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ellesmere Port
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

regarding the phone line..... Yes, ring Sky and tell them he didn't do it. The same happened to me and they sent someone out to do it F.O.C. You HAVE to have multiroom connected to phone line 24/7 cos they DO check to make sure your mate ain't getting the full package for a tenner via your box!!

They will send you three warning letters and after that you will be charged full price for your 2nd box!!!!

Thanks

Thought I'd let you all know that my sky+ installation is all sorted - A proper sky engineer came out on Sunday afternoon, had to spend just over an hour and a half redoing some of the contractors work. That weekend he'd been to 3 others, redoing work sub-contractors had done.

He's replaced two coaxial cables with one new flat cable (has two inside the casing). Its really flat and enables it to be laid under carpet. He had to realign the dish too.

He also put in the telecom cable to both boxes.

Mega impressed with the service he provided - its a pity Sky's reputation is being damaged using sub-contractors, seems a bit of a false economy really.

Exchange:
      Thanks

glad to hear you got sorted looks like the engineer did a good job -though dosent suprise me on his having to re do most all of the old instalacion lol now go forth and enjoy sky+

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

So, what was the beeping, and how did they fix it (if it has been fixed?)