Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky+ "wont touch our box"

This is a discussion on Sky+ "wont touch our box" within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Greetings, we recently aquired a Sky+ box from my grandmother, who purchased a new one on account of problems with ...

aknm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wigan
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Sky+ "wont touch our box"

Greetings, we recently aquired a Sky+ box from my grandmother, who purchased a new one on account of problems with her previous box. Not to her knowledge, the previous box was in working order, and has now kept her old one and given the replacement to us. When I phoned Sky about installing this box given to us by my grandmother, they said it was fine.

A few days later we had problems with the box, and after contacting Sky, they sent out a technician to sort out the problem, 65 and a new box. Then when I went to record a program, and decided to watch another channel, all opther channels on Sky were not recieving a signal. Again I contacted Sky, they now say they WILL NOT touch our (new) box as it is "classed" as secondhand, and we are to get a freelance technician to come and install another cable...Any body have the same problem or is it just me, am I being unreasonable?

AKNM

2. Advertisement
      Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky+ "wont touch our box"

I wouldnt say you are being unreasonable,
      Let me get this correct, You PAID an additional 65 for a new box when the Technician came to sort the problem?
      So you dont use the old one from your nan?

If you are using a new one from Sky, Then a) They should look at it within the 12 Months unless they explicitly said it was excluded for some reason - Very unlikely.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If Sky provided you with the (reconditioned) box then it is warranted for 90 days. The "secondhand" comment from the Sky agent is just stupid - ignore it. Sky don't care whether they supply the box or someone else. In any event they supplied it so if it is faulty it's their problem.

However, the second part of your post makes me wonder whether you are saying the box is fine and you just don't have two cables which is a requirement for recording on Sky+?

If so then this should probably have been covered during the 65 service call but without knowing your discussions with Sky (and the engineer) you may have problems persuading them to come out again.

aknm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wigan
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky basically said that they will not put in another cable now? Its really confusing, they wont touch the new box because the previous one was second hand. And also said that an engineer should not of been dispatched to put in the new box. ARRR!!!!

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Which call centre did you get through to.. The Indian seems to have a habit of giving people the run around?

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I think Sky may be right you know!

- you had normal sky with single cable/lnb
      - you then replaced your normal sky box with a sky+ from granny (still one cable and single lnb)
      - then the box broke and sky came out to replace it at 65 (standard replacement of box)
      - now you are complaining as the sky+ features don't work.

If the above is correct, then sky are spot on because at no point have you paid to upgrade your lnb and cabling. The 65 you have paid is standard for replacing the box. They will not updgrade your LNB as you have never paid anyone to upgrade it in the first place.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but sky are right. Give you local installer a call who will replace the lnb for a quad lnb and 2nd cable for c50.