Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky protection plan.

This is a discussion on Sky protection plan. within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; I have just recieved a letter from Sky telling that my 1sy year is almost over along with the warrenty ...

Imajica is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky protection plan.

I have just recieved a letter from Sky telling that my 1sy year is almost over along with the warrenty of my sky equipment. They are offering a protection plan at 8.25 a month!! Yes it covers +box and dish and router etc. but it still seems very expensive, almost another 100 a year. Does anyone know of an alternative company that will offer cover for a more realistic figure?

Thank you.

Paul

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky protection plan.

Are you sure the letter was from Sky? Look at it a bit more closely.

Sky, appear to have a very dodgy relationship with an organisation that pesters Sky's customers to take out unnecessary and expensive (in my opinion) warranties. I can only assume that Sky give this company customer's contact details, maybe with some form of commission involved?

You asked who else supplies Sky warranties? Don't bother. If anything goes wrong with your Sky TV System (box, dish etc) and it is out of warranty, Sky will charge you 65 for a service call which will cover all replacements etc with no additional charges. Only if you needed two or more service calls for unrelated problems each year would a warranty make "sense".

As far as I am aware, the Sky router will be replaced for free if faulty outside of warranty - at least that's what I recall from the T&Cs.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

We had this company phone us up a few months ago and I wasn't convinced that this was Sky, even though they claimed to be them and I was even less convinced that I should give them bank/credit card details over the phone to them and I asked them to send me the information to me by post (just to get rid of them) and surprise surprise no paperwork appeared.

I agree with Saturday that you shouldn't really need this at 100 a year, although if a Sky box packs up can you buy a new one from Sky rather than have it repaired if it is outside warrenty?

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky use Domestic and General - However everytime they call they say they are ACTUALLY Sky, Just quiz them with, What services you have and then they usually turn around and say they arent.

If they are like that when you take out a service whatever will they be like when it actually breaks down.

To those who brought there Boxes from a Retailer, Currys, Dixons, etc ect, You usually have extra warrantly through them.

colinb1604 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01670
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As with all insurance products it is all a gamble. I resisted all attemptsto convert me, and I have paid out 65 Once inabout 4 years, so I am Still ahead of the game{ fingers crossed} I think that a fee of 65 for parts and labour renders the insurance unneccessary.
      colinb1604

cpu939 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

the insureance is good if your on a low income and can't pay out the 65 in one go other wise stick with the 65 service call fee. remember that the service call has a 90 day warranty to which is good. to those who think it should come with a full year they get round this by not giving you a new box but what they call a grade A "second hand" box.

Imajica is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you all for your help and advice. The letter did indeed come from Domestic and General, very sneaky lol. I thinki will just hold out and see what happens, never know, might be lucky with the Sky + box

Thanx again.

Paul

timb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I must say I think Sky Protect's pretty good value actually. We had three things go wrong with our Sky last year - the box was playing up, the connection was damaged by a storm, and somebody poured coke into the box (don't ask). Every time they came out quickly and cheerfully, explained the problem, and either fixed it or gave us new equipment. The fuss we get when Sky's not working I reckon the reassurance is worth it. I know it is DnG who actually do the warranty, but at least they are a proper company I've heard some horrer stories about other ones

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Companies make a lot of money out of protection plans. That's why people like Currys and Comet are so eager to sell them. I've had a Sky box since the late 1980's, and I've never had to call Sky out. When a box has been broken beyond economic repair, I've bought a new one to replace it, and I'm still in-pocket.