Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this setup possible?

This is a discussion on Is this setup possible? within the Sky+ forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi everyone, been reading the forum for a couple of weeks now - excellent advice and help to be had. ...

jarwyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Is this setup possible?

Hi everyone, been reading the forum for a couple of weeks now - excellent advice and help to be had.

This is my first post so please be gentle, lol. I've done a search and read through as many posts as I can, I can't see this question having been answered elsewhere so here goes.

Currently I have Sky HD in the front room, and multiroom in the bedroom using a Sky+ box. However, the feed to the Sky+ box is a 'single' feed due to originally having a standard box in there.

I've been thinking about getting a dual feed cable put through to the Sky+ box in the bedroom, however, the OH has recently been hinting about getting a TV in the back bedroom.

So the question is this, if I get a dual feed cable, is it possible to 'split' the feed so that 1 feed goes to the main bedroom and the other feed goes to a 'spare' Sky+ box in the back bedroom?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Is this setup possible?

From what I have read elsewhere this is not possible. By splitting cables it weakens the satellite signal and this needs to be at its maximum to benefit the box.

The only other way would be to run a LNB with 8 ports.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Oh - OK. Guess a rethink is needed then. Thanks for the info, newbuilder!

julessandra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ashton
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, I know exactly where you’re coming from and splitting a dual cable will not weaken the signal at all, assuming you mean you want to run just one cable in one room the other cable in the other room using the dual cable! The only thing is if you have sky+ in one of your rooms you will not be able to use all of the functions!

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Apologies, I should really re-read things.

Okay. If you want the dual feed to supply the newish box and the sky + you already have and have all the functions then this is not possible.

If you want the dual cable to turn two sky+ boxes in to two sky digital boxes then this is possible (i.e.) the boxes do not have two feeds each but only one feed each.

Hope this rectifies my earlier post.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Excellent - thanks guys, the missus will be pleased lol

jonathan488 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Great Malvern
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Further to this original post, can I ask something? Well I'm about to anyway so here goes!

I currently have standard Sky box but now Sky are dropping the Sky+ fee I would like to invest in a Sky+ box off eBay.

However... as I only have one feed from the dish, is there a way to get this to work?

I wouldn't even particularly want to record 2 things at the same time. It'd be cool to watch one program while recording another. For this I prsume I'd need 2 feeds?

Can I split my single feed in 2 and do it like this??

Thanks for any replies.

cpu939 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

to the last post here no you can't split the feed like that one lmb port = one program. spliting the wire would only give the same program. how every dual or quad or even octo lmbs are cheap and easy to install after all the dish is pointing the right way 28.2 degrees east of south or south, south east. i have sceen the lmb as low as £20 so nice and easy way to up grade. also to the 1st post why not go for this octo lmb and have the 8 ports there and have the hd and the sky+ and up to another 4 boxes runing all at the same time.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpu939 View Post
      to the last post here no you can't split the feed like that one lmb port = one program. spliting the wire would only give the same program. how every dual or quad or even octo lmbs are cheap and easy to install after all the dish is pointing the right way 28.2 degrees east of south or south, south east. i have sceen the lmb as low as £20 so nice and easy way to up grade. also to the 1st post why not go for this octo lmb and have the 8 ports there and have the hd and the sky+ and up to another 4 boxes runing all at the same time.
      Thanks for your reply cpu939. I'm very new to satellite TV so you'll have to excuse my novice questions!

The main reason I wanted to be able to do the setup myself is because I live in a very tall flat (Sky had to outsource a company to come and fit it for me) and this bloke arrived with their tallest ladder. He could only just reach and said that new laws in the next month or so will stop people from using ladders at that height (they'd have to use scaffolding instead).

So obviously, rather than pay for the same company to come back and set up a scaffold tower (which I presume will be quite a hefty charge) I wanted to split - to which I now know I can't.

So if I purchased an lmb how would I go about fitting it? Does it screw onto the dish itself? I could try leaning out the window and fitting it but I'd probably end up falling out and to my death!!

Is there a good tutorial on fitting these things?

Thanks again for your reply.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Anyone??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast