Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Some basic questions please ??

This is a discussion on Some basic questions please ?? within the Sky Viewing Card forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hi folks. I have a second HD+ box that i would like to use in a second home. The box ...

g4fne is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Some basic questions please ??

Hi folks.

I have a second HD+ box that i would like to use in a second home.

The box does not have a viewing card. I can watch & record freeview channels and playback anything that isnt Pin Protected. This is where my problem lays. I really need to be able to access the pin number.
      If i buy a second card and get paired up, can someone confirm that the Pin Number will automatically revert to last 4 digits of card number or will i still be stumped ??

By purchasing a viewing card can anyone confirm what (if any) channels it will add in comparison to watching without a card ??

Any assistance would be appreciated

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Some basic questions please ??

The majority of UK free to view channels are now free to air though I am not sure if this is true for all regional variations. The one exception that springs to mind is Channel 5 HD. So not withstanding this exception the only advantage of having a viewing card is that you would get the correct regional programming for your area on BBC and ITV channels.

What worries me is that you are able to use the record functions without a viewing card. This should not happen and it is possible that you would lose these functions by inserting a viewing card.

Just out of interest what is the version number of your box?

g4fne is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

How do i find out version number ??.

Should the Sky+/Recording facility not work even on a single channel (ie can only watch & record same channel) if using as freesat ??

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I too am surprised you can record and playback on the box. Officially you must have a Sky subscription or pay something like 15 a month for the privilege. Normally when you change the card in the box you cannot access any previously recorded programs. It could be you have a 'hacked' box which does not need a card to record, I know these are available on eBay. If this is the case introducing a card may void your recordings.

Version number is on the plate behind the box.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.