Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

old sky box

This is a discussion on old sky box within the Sky Viewing Card forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; hi a few months ago i got a free upgrade from sky to sky hd put our old viewing box ...

backupking is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: lye 01384
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile old sky box

hi
      a few months ago i got a free upgrade from sky to sky hd
      put our old viewing box is it possible to use it in our statc carvan and just take the viewing card from the hd box at home or do i need to take the full box has that is a lot more work would be easier just to leave our old sky box with our viewing card when we are there and just bring the viewing card home with us when we come back

i hope you can help me

thanks

conrad

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: old sky box

The viewing card is paired to a single individual Sky Box.

If you planned to do this, you would need to call Sky each time you went in your caravan to get the Viewing card paired again.

A couple of other solutions for you to think about:

a. take your new Sky+ HD with you

b. setup Sky Multiroom, but use your old STB if it was is Sky+, then you could take this with you instead

c. set up you Sky+ HD box to record all the things you would otherwise watch whilst you are away, and either watch FreeView or FreeSat whilst you are in the caravan

Do be careful about leaving anything of value in a static. You might not be aware that someone else is watching Sky courtesy of your account if you should leave an active card in it for long periods.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hi
      thanks for your reply

how hard is it to get a box paired again and does sky say anthing

has it would happen 4 or 5 times a year

also does it hurt to leave the system plug in when we are not there ourself just bring the sky card back

our orginal sky box is one of the old type no + on it at all just sky normal channels
      we already have got freeview in our caravan put we do watch a lot of sky sports at home

i await your reply

thanks

conrad

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You may be able to get a Freesat card from Sky for about 20. Obviously this will only allow you to watch Free programs but it would be a lot simpler than pairing your card 4 or 5 times a year. Sky may not object to this, but pairing cards can cause problems, especially if you are subscribing to the premium channels.

From what I have read the LNB does not like to be without power for a long period, whether a couple of weeks would make any difference, I don't know. Maybe Ken will come in with a definitive reply?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

If you have Sky Multi-room, then they are more likely to get both your Sky STBs to 'phone home'. If they do not both call back & from the same number, they can become upset.

That would be perhaps the easiest what, as you could leave the main Sky+ HD box at home, taking just the Sky STB with you when you go on holiday.

As for swapping the card between both boxes several times a year, I personally don't have an answer for you there. Hopefully someone else can respond for you.

Edit: Thanks Tom, but that wouldn't allow them to view the Sky Sports channels

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You may be able to get a Freesat card from Sky for about 20. Obviously this will only allow you to watch Free programs but it would be a lot simpler than pairing your card 4 or 5 times a year. Sky may not object to this, but pairing cards can cause problems, especially if you are subscribing to the premium channels.

From what I have read the LNB does not like to be without power for a long period, whether a couple of weeks would make any difference, I don't know. Maybe Ken will come in with a definitive reply?
      hi
      we have full digital tv in the caravan already via built in tv in main bedroom and freeview box in master bedroom has it has been only digital in that area since october 2010
      the main sky hd box would still have its power while i am away just not the viewing card

all the best

conrad