Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Another new viewing card question

This is a discussion on Another new viewing card question within the Sky Viewing Card forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; Hello all. I have started a new thread because I didn't like to hi-jack some one else’s post. Background info: ...

Miss Bucket is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Another new viewing card question

Hello all. I have started a new thread because I didn't like to hi-jack some one else’s post.

Background info:
      New card arrived, Monday just gone, put it in, box accepted it. Watching any channel after a while picture freezes. Put old card back, never freezes, but can't keep it as some channels "missing" (Which is what all blurb says will happen)

Box info
      SKY box Make: Grundig
      Box type: SKY (not SKY+ or SKY HD)
      Box age: (guess) 10 years. Never a problem until now.

Signal indicator: Exactly half way
      Signal quality indicator: Exactly halfway, occasionally for no more than a second it will drop slightly, then return to where it was.

“Chip” on new card is smaller than “Chip” on old card (Thought I would mention it)

I have.............
      Called SKY they said they would send a signal that would fix it. Had to go away for a few days, came back Friday still same problem.
      Called SKY 3 times, every time got some one who said something slightly different, even spoke to "Technical support" He said signal is too low. He even told me how to go into the menu and reset the LNB (Switch it off then on) which no one else had done.

I have read through other posts and I have also tried the "down power / re-power with backup button held, still the picture freezes.

Sky want £65 for an engineer to do what? All was fine until new card arrived.

Thanks to all for reading. If more info is required please ask. I will be back later in the day.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Another new viewing card question

New card could be coincidental, that box is old and liable to fail anyway. May be worth the engineer call out to be honest. Ours went after 6 years, replacement sky+ went after 13 months but was never right to be honest. May be worth biting the bullet or trying the cancellations route if you want to risk it.
      Did you explain that the old card works fine and only the new card causes the issue?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply, yes, I did tell them (every one) that the problems only started with the new card, but they don't want to know. They said its our cables, our TV, anything but their card.
      Since they are reading from a script, anything they don't know / understand is your fault / problem

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Well, they may well be right. 10 years is a long time for a box that is powered up 24/7/365. That's more than 61,000 hours. If the box can't stand the strain of a new viewing card, it will probably fail soon anyway.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Old_nick, but could you then please tell me, if my box is going to break down, why does the previous viewing card still work with no freezing problems?
      As I said its only when using the new card that freezing occurs.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Very old boxes (and yours is VERY old) didn't have the memory capacity or the processor speed of newer boxes. Over the years everything in a Sky Digibox has got bigger and faster. So the new card may simply reflect the ability of more modern receivers.

How about moving onto a Sky+ box? The cost might not be much different to having an installer call (and just replace your old box with a reconditioned box) and the Sky+ recording facility is simple and has no image reduction over watching live.

But it's your decision!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks dms05, that is the way its looking, just been in touch with SKY I have no choice but to upgrade to SKY+

Engineer call out £60

Total £60

Sky+ Box £150
      Installation £50

Total £200

So although its £140 more, I don't have any other choice (I have looked at free-sat, and free view, but they don’t have the channels I like)

When I just spoke to SKY, I have to register to have a SKY+ box, they will then notify me when one becomes available. Thank your god that you don’t have to pre-order washing machines