Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Viewing Card

This is a discussion on New Viewing Card within the Sky Viewing Card forums, part of the Sky & Sky+ TV category; I received my 2 new viewing cards today. Changed the one in standard box okay. When changing card in sky+ ...

LyndyLou is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rayleigh (EARAY)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

New Viewing Card

I received my 2 new viewing cards today. Changed the one in standard box okay. When changing card in sky+ box only message recieved is please insert sky viewing card. Left for approx 30 mins but message still there so tried to put old card back but still get message saying please insert viewing card. I was under the impression that if any problems with new card that the old card would continue to work. Phoned sky as I think this meant that the box is not reading that a card has been inserted. Told that this was not the case by person at sky. He said he reset everything for me and that my viewing should come back in the next 4 hours. Can view free channels but sky box has lost all functions needed by card. ( i.e. pause , rewind, view recorded programs)
      Anyone have any views on whether this is a box problem or not before I ring sky back.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Update re New Viewing Card

Spoke to tecnical services. Went through several procedures with them. Now have nothing. Just banner with message stuck on screen which says please insert old viewing card. wait 5 minutes and then insert new viewing card. (which I did) Can't get any channels now. Can't even turn box off. They say everthing will work after 24 hours. Was told that can't watch any chanels without viewing card inserted even though before the call could watch BBC & ITV. Was told not possible to watch any channels, even free to air channels, if card not inserted and that I was mistaken!!! I am sure that I have read on this site that you do not need a viewing card to watch free to air channels. Can anyone confirm whether I am right or whether Sky are right.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: New Viewing Card

Even the bit of paper that comes with the new viewing cards says that you can watch the FTA channels when swapping the cards over. (I was watching Sky news when I swapped mine over on both boxes and it was working fine with no card in)

Looks like Sky has messed up big time with something.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Maybe a bit obvious, but were the cards marked as to which you should use in which box? Would putting the wrong one in make any difference, when one was for a standard box and the other for Plus?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Have to put correct card in correct box and that is not the problem. Changed one for standard box first. No problems with that. New card was activted in seconds. Just my luck that I have problems with the main SKY+ box

Thanks

Have you tried putting the box into Standby for a few minutes, then switch off the power for a few minutes, then switch on again, leave it a few minutes, then press the Sky button.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Box does not respond to any button presses, either on box or by remote. Have turned power of for a while then turned power back on and waited but box turns itself back on with message on screen saying please insert old viewing card wait 5 minutes then insert new viewing card and still does not respond to remote or button presses on box. Can't even turn box off. Each call to Sky makes things worse.
      Last edited by LyndyLou; 04-06-09 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks

Have Sky taken you through an update? If not try this-

• Make sure the box is in Standby
      • Wait 1 minute
      • Turn the box off at the mains
      • Hold in the Backup button, on the box, not the remote
      • Turn the power back on, still holding the backup button.
      • When the lights on the front come on release the backup button
      • The TV will show a black screen with writing advising you that the software is being updated. This takes about 10-15 mins. When it is complete, wait 2 or 3 mins then press the Sky button on the Remote.

You should probably do this with your old card as it looks like your new one is corrupting something.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

No. they did not ask me to do this but the problem is I can no longer put the box into standby.

Thanks

I would just switch the power off and try it. The hard drive is probably not running anyway, which is the only reason for putting it into standby.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast