Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Broadband = Terrible.

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband = Terrible. within the Sky unhappiness forums, part of the Sky Broadband feedback category; I signed up for Sky Broadband (40gb per month) in January and had to wait a month to actually get ...

RMX
      RMX is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 40gb/month
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Angry Sky Broadband = Terrible.

I signed up for Sky Broadband (40gb per month) in January and had to wait a month to actually get the phone line activated in etc. in my flat (I'd just moved in and there was no active phone line).

was told the engineers (which most of these ISP's use) were busy. Fair enough, but in this day and age, especially in the UK - a wait of 1 month to get a phone line activated is ridiculous. It only took the engineer 30 minutes to activate it when he visited.

Had all my Sky gear ready to go. Router, disc etc. Install was easy, and I was online downloading at 850kb/s within 30 minutes. Awesome... Well, not for long.

About a week into my Sky Broadband experience, I start noticing some serious slow downs in the evening. Yeah. Seems I've gone over my pathetic daily limit (seriously, bandwidth limits in 2012??).

Every night now for the past 2 weeks, my connection drops to 56k modem speeds from 5pm to midnight. The internet is practically unusable. I download a lot (beta's, digital game downloads etc.), I use Youtube a lot and I send and receive large files related to work almost daily. If you're the same and you're considering an ISP - do not use Sky. Your speeds will get dropped very quickly as soon as you start going over your tiny 1.3gb a day.

I phoned and spoke to them and was told it's a BT limitation and they can't do anything about it. Still unacceptable. I'm going to wait it out, as they keep saying their gear is being upgraded and we'll all be on unlimited packages soon, but I'm in Scotland, and us Jocks will probably be the last to get it.

If you're not a heavy internet user, the 40gb a month deal would probably be decent. For gamers, youtubers etc. Avoid at all costs.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Sky Broadband = Terrible.

It looks like you were signed up to Sky Broadband Connect.

It is well known on this forum that this package is sub-standard. Please read through the thread linked below:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...ect-users.html

Basically I would advise you to gather the evidence (links in the thread above), get your MAC code and move to another ISP.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband = Terrible.

You're definitely on the Connect package, which is a rebranded BT service. It has a bad reputation. However, these limitations are actually explained in the terms and conditions. At least the ones regarding peak time usage are. You would also have been told at the point of sale about peak time usage.

1.3Gb a day is more than enough for most people.

Also, just because you are in Scotland does not mean your exchange won't be upgraded. Loads of exchanges in Scotland have been upgraded, and there have been plenty done in the last 3 months so it is an ongoing process. The only issue you may have is if your exchange is too small to support 3rd party equipment, or if your exchange serves a very small number of people. What area/town are you in?