Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Quit aol to go to sky...big mistake!

This is a discussion on Quit aol to go to sky...big mistake! within the Sky unhappiness forums, part of the Sky Broadband feedback category; Hi, I am a newbie, so hello everyone! We quit AOL a few weeks ago to take up the sky ...

debbie20 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Northwich
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quit aol to go to sky...big mistake!

Hi, I am a newbie, so hello everyone!

We quit AOL a few weeks ago to take up the sky broadband offer but since day one we have nothing but problems and still my lack of internet speed remains unresolved!
      To cut a very long story short, once connected it was v slow so I called sky and they said there were errors building up on the line, so after lots of testing etc etc, they decided to send a bt engineer. he came and changed my socket to a pre filtered socket, told me there was a problem with skys equipment at the exchange and that it was sorted now. skys engineers said there was no problem with their equipment at the exchange but still there were errors on the line, they sent a 2nd bt engineer. he too said there was a problem with skys equipment at the exchange but he had sorted it with their help and changed me to a faster cable as I am quite a way from the exchange. he found a wiring problem in the socket that had been replaced and tested with his equipment to find we got good connection to the point of entry to the house and also testing about 5.5meg on the socket with no errors building, plugged in the router and it fell over continually. called sky, they said the speed was too much so they reduced and reduced and reduced but still it fell over. they sent another router, btw, my previous netgear router I had with aol had been tested to find that it held the connection without any errors. router number 2 arrived and fell over continually, sky did the usual lines tests, tested the netgear aol router and have decided to send out another router. My feeling is that skys routers are too sensitive to cope with any fluctuation on the line and that this will never be resolved. Would I be better to go for sky fibre optic, if its available in my area? Has anyone else had this issue with the new sagem router, not sure which model it is but we have only had it from them a few weeks ago.
      Thanks anyone!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Quit aol to go to sky...big mistake!

Would I be better to go for sky fibre optic, if its available in my area?
      If you can get it and can afford the extra cost then go for it. Reports so far indicate that it is excellent.

In the mean time if you think your Netgear is better, extract the details from the Sky router and put them into the Netgear. You will be able to extract the username and password here-
      https://www.cm9.net/skypass/
      Make sure you copy and paste the details in and out of the generator to the other router. Remember it is the LAN MAC of the Sky router that you need to use.
      I would think the only changes you will need to make is the username and password, all the other settings should be fine.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

debbie20 (02-03-12)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

It might be worth mentioning that if there were a lot of problems with Sky's equipment in your exchange, then someone else would have mentioned it on either this forum or the Sky forum.

It is quite common for BTO engineers to put other ISPs down and give incorrect information. There are many such stories on this forum that would confirm this.

Since you've have the BTO engineers visit, a quick simple test that you can perform might be in order if you are still getting problems. using a corded telephone plugged in the master socket, dial '1' and listen for any noise. If you hear any clicking or load hiss (a quiet hiss like a high pitched fax machine is alright) then you have a problem with the wiring.

It could well be that the wires from your green street box have been damaged by a tree. BTO appear to be reluctant to replace underground cables. They are also replacing copper cables with copper coated aluminium cables due to the high rate of theft for copper cables.

As Tom has mentioned though, once SBUF has been launched, your would get a far better connection speed.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

debbie20 (02-03-12)

AspieMum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ROWNHAMS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

For me AOL was even worse. I get 1.7MBs now (about 0.8MBs when it was very bad for a few months). AOL switched me to a package with a maximum speed of just over 700KBs when I moved here and would not change it. Then their browser stopped working and reinstalling didn't solve it and AOL told me how to connect to AOL manually but the manual connection would only last for a few seconds (without logging on to their broadband using their browser it was no good).