Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Why have you made me do this SKY. I was happy and now I`m not.

This is a discussion on Why have you made me do this SKY. I was happy and now I`m not. within the Sky unhappiness forums, part of the Sky Broadband feedback category; Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy The only hope you've got is getting onto GDMT, but even then you'll be lucky to ...

Combiseries is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01554
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Why have you made me do this SKY. I was happy and now I`m not.

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      The only hope you've got is getting onto GDMT, but even then you'll be lucky to push 512kbps with that line length...as said, some ISPs will refuse you service as it's not good enough

The only hope you have is if your test socket (assuming you have one) highlights a MAJOR noise issue your end which can be easily fixed...
      The enginneer tested my side of the line for noise and found no faults. He tested the line at the exchange and found lots. The techies at sky tested my line and found over 2500+ errors.....

I repeat myself when I`m distressed
      I repeat myself when I`m distressed; the more I look at it.......

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You are obviously right and everyone else is wrong, even though your stats and everything else you have posted goes against what you have said

The fact is that currently, your router stats show a very high attenuation, this, as explained could be down to a fault but it could also just as easily be down to the line from the exchange getting older and starting to break down (nothing lasts forever), if this is the case then nothing you or your ISP can do will cure this, you will need to either be connected to a better line or have the current one replaced by BTOR.

You may only be 3 miles from the exchange, this is actually quite a long way in terms of signal and its demise, the longer your line is the more chance of the signal getting interference etc.

Oh and by the way, I get 18+mb

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Like I said, I was happy with SKY until I signed up for a new contract and now I`m not because someone ******** up`d the connection at the exchange.
      Now that you have posted your stats we can see that you are on ADSL2+, which does not suit very long lines like yours. Phone Sky and jump through the hoops for Tier 1 and ask to be put through to the CST. Once there ask them to transfer your line back to G.DMT, which it was on before. This will increase the speed on your connection.

If you are still do not get satisfaction, phone back and ask for your MAC and give it to BT. Put your number in the box and BT will tell you what speed you can get with them.
      BT Broadband

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      You are obviously right and everyone else is wrong, even though your stats and everything else you have posted goes against what you have said

No, everything I have said points to the fact that when I signed up for a new contract the problems started. And then the `highly skilled` enginneers and technicians couldn`t work out what you have just said below.....

The fact is that currently, your router stats show a very high attenuation, this, as explained could be down to a fault but it could also just as easily be down to the line from the exchange getting older and starting to break down (nothing lasts forever), if this is the case then nothing you or your ISP can do will cure this, you will need to either be connected to a better line or have the current one replaced by BTOR.

You may only be 3 miles from the exchange, this is actually quite a long way in terms of signal and its demise, the longer your line is the more chance of the signal getting interference etc.

Oh and by the way, I get 18+mb
      Show off

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Now that you have posted your stats we can see that you are on ADSL2+, which does not suit very long lines like yours. Phone Sky and jump through the hoops for Tier 1 and ask to be put through to the CST. Once there ask them to transfer your line back to G.DMT, which it was on before. This will increase the speed on your connection.

If you are still do not get satisfaction, phone back and ask for your MAC and give it to BT. Put your number in the box and BT will tell you what speed you can get with them.
      BT Broadband
      Sky cancellation couldn`t give me MAC code because they said they owned the line and I would have to have a new line from BT with a new number and everything.
      Incidentally I already had them test the line and they said it could give me 3.2meg. Hence the 180kBps and 250kBps I was enjoying before all this.
      Last edited by Combiseries; 18-09-10 at 11:29 PM. Reason: more info

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Combiseries View Post
      Incidentally I already had them test the line and they said it could give me 3.2meg. Hence the 180kBps and 250kBps I was enjoying before all this.
      That was then and this is now, things change and wires degrade over time, hopefully it is something that can be repaired but it could be something as stupid as a faulty transformer in a street light causing the interference.

Thanks

I am now with BT and my connection is as fast as `that clothing manufacturer with the swear word with letters mixed up on it`.

So, thanks for all your `ahem` help. God Bless you all.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Maybe you would like to post a test from speedtest.net to show us your exceedingly fast connection.
      http://www.speedtest.net
      Last edited by Isitme; 27-09-10 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Typo

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Combiseries View Post
      So, thanks for all your `ahem` help. God Bless you all.
      It's nice to have a happy ending. And one less thread to read...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123