Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Rupert bite yer legs!

This is a discussion on Rupert bite yer legs! within the Sky unhappiness forums, part of the Sky Broadband feedback category; Afternoon all, I'm at one with GP King (earlier posting). Like him, I was partly seduced by the hype, but ...

djjerryatric is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01375
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited - that's a laugh!
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Rupert bite yer legs!

Afternoon all,
      I'm at one with GP King (earlier posting). Like him, I was partly seduced by the hype, but I also figured that someone like Rupert, who did such a brilliant job with Sky was going to be alright. I wonder now.

Unfortunately, we don't know the extent of the problems. How many new subscribers are struggling? A very helpful woman at the call-centre said it wasn't too bad (honestly) and I'm only partly inclined to believe her. Here's my story.

Connection date 25/9/06. Problems at first with local exchange (including no phone tone)- (BT man came out fixed it -apparently by going back to the exchange-returned and tested, saying "everything's ok now")

Used the disc. Was online for a time- with a Pentium3 desktop, (using a 10/100 hi-speed ethernet adapter) then everything slowly unravelled - and has been doing so ever since.
      It varies from being unable to locate the website to partly accessing it at a snails pace, to the whole thing locking up. Resetting the modem doesn't work - the only thing that does is uninstalling/reinstalling the disc. That works a treat - for a short time........

I've activated the Wi Fi in my new Dell laptop and that generally works - though not all the time. I'm using it now, while the other one sits and sulks.

I've rung Sky everyday. Yesterday, the woman at the call centre said -rather than wait half an hour on the technical line - she would get them to contact me. That was 11.45 yesterday - no response yet.

I was with Pipex for 2 years. Expensive, but never a moments trouble. I - like most surfers am a punter. Put in a disc and everything pops up (we hope and pray) I have to say I am, so far, disappointed with Sky - I feel they could do better - even given the learning curve etc.

Like I said, we do't know the extent of the problem. If it's big and BT's fault, then it needs Rupert's Wapping approach to sort it. If it's isolated and local - then "why me Lord - why me?"

Any possible solutions anyone? God, I love the web - I'm getting withdrawal symptoms already.............

PS I've noticed SKY employees on the forum, getting peed off with the level of abuse etc. Take heart. It's not you I'm blaming - you're cannon fodder. It's people much higher up than you that Rupert should be giving a good "Wapping"...............

2. Advertisement
      dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Not noticed any sky employees getting peed off on here.

As far as the level of calls goes - judge for yourself 1-3 hour waits constantly for support who never phone back. I suspect a lot of people are having problems - judging by the small surveys on here it could be as much as 50%

spcdust is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      @dingdong

It could also be 40%, or maybe 15%....I don't know let's try 72% or you never can tell, possibly 28%.

Also, the amount of time a caller is on hold isn't going to give you an indication as for all we know Sky could have 1 or 100 or 1000 technical support staff taking calls

I'm pulling your leg here but who knows what kind of percentage are having problems as this forum really isn't going to be that representative of the entire Sky Broadband customer base - we all know that these forums are generally populated by those who are experiencing issues and are seeking advice (and for that I am thankful).

Regards

spcdust
      AKA (For This Posting) Peter Pedantic
      Last edited by spcdust; 29-09-06 at 04:16 PM.

djjerryatric is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01375
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited - that's a laugh!
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I'm just hearing from the wife that my eldest son has just had sky installed, by a Sky technician,this afternoon and, soon after he left - it started playing up like mine -i.e. up and down like Tower Bridge.

That suggests to me that it's either a local exchange problem or Sky's website. I wonder which...............
      As an afterthought, the wireless icon on my Dell gives signal strength as "excellent". Presumably that's just the output from my Dell?