Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Poll: Should sky be available to new customers at 1/2 price

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Am very fed up with skys unfair pricing

This is a discussion on Am very fed up with skys unfair pricing within the Sky unhappiness forums, part of the Sky Broadband feedback category; I recently contacted sky regarding the cost of my Sky package which works out at £36.50 a month. I was ...

Max2thous10 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01424
      Broadband ISP: talktalk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ /Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thumbs down Am very fed up with skys unfair pricing

I recently contacted sky regarding the cost of my Sky package which works out at £36.50 a month. I was appalled that a new customer (a friend) had been given the Sky World package at half price and with a free sky+ box and free installation for one year at half price.

When I talked to sky about this they first denied anyone had this until it was passed to the disconnection team.

After discussing this matter at length I am still dissatisfied after talking to them as they seem to think that adding Sky phones to my account with free 12 months line rental is equivalent to the discount the new customers are getting. They have not factored into this the cost my Talktalk broadband will rise when I havenít got the Talktalk phone service. They have not dealt with my original problem with my current service over pricing instead wanting another service from me when they have lied and mislead me about the one I have with them.

I cannot believe sky can offer one customer five mixes and 2 movie channels for £23.50 p.c.m for a year when they want £36.80 p.c.m for a year from me for the same service.

This means a new customer gets a years sky for £282.00 and I get a years sky for £441.60 .
      In addition they told me that I could have 3 months for £25.00 pcm not 12 months

The lucky new sky customer gets a free sky + box and free installation and free box maintenance for a year something I was never offered as Ihad to buy my own box which is no longer maintained.

I think Sky must think its customers are idiots. And they will pay regardless.

I am not very happy that they are unable to resolve my problems with my sky account without adding a further service. I have nothing against the other services being placed with sky but to be honest I you are going to offer me something it should be cheaper that what I have already got and the advisor should be better informed on the broadband fees.

I am left with nothing but to cancel my subscription as obviously the two years I have spent paying sky for their service my box and installation are nothing to what they will offer there new customers.

I feel like the man in the bank advert only I didnít get the juicy fat worm rate even at the beginning. Well as in the bank advert I am jumping out of the keep net and suggest others look at this and do the same.

:-(

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Am very fed up with skys unfair pricing

Can see where you are coming from, however, when I signed up to Sky I got a free box, and whatever deal was on at the time. Which, I guess as Sky+ was not invented at that time, was an equivalent offer. So if I was to expect a free box now, I think my request would probably be declined, as I had had a discount initially.

Did you not get a free box or a discount on one when you originally signed up?
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I suppose sky will argue that when you were a new customer, you were offered the best deal available , whether you got that only you will know. Obviously Sky are looking to attract as many new customers as possible, and if they lose one or two in the process then thats part of business. Not saying that is the right policy though. Out of interest would you financially better off migrating your broadband to sky ?

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Unfortunately for every customer that leaves, god knows how many new customers join.

Until this swings the other way, Sky has no reason to change their pricing policy. sky is a business and a well run business no matter what anyone thinks. Sky is there to make a profit for the shareholder and whilst the churn levels stay as they are, Sky will continue with this pricing policy. Existing customers need to vote with their feet and change the churn levels to force a change in pricing policy from sky.

I'm afraid that's business.

Thanks

no i had to buy my sky+ box as i had a free sky box myself prior to upgrading. i do not think this pricing is fair and i belive the new costomers will feel the same way to when sky announces its next offers. I believe having sky broadband would cost me 17.00 pcm as my excchange in Battle east sussex does not support LCU.see my exchanges stats

Exchange Information
      Exchange: Battle. BT Code: NDBAT
      Distance:- Direct: 15.67 km
      (appx)* By Road: 20.12 km
      Status
      ADSL enabled : July 31, 2003
      DSL Max enabled: March 30, 2006
      SDSL enabled : No info
      21CN due : (PSTN) Phone No Required
      21CN WBC (Broadband) Not available
      Available ISPs Other Broadband Technology & LLU Providers

Although your exchange is BT owned, this does not limit you to just BT Broadband and a vast range of ISPs are able to supply you with adsl.
      Available ISPs are too numerous to list, but some examples would be: Zen, Plusnet, IDNet, Enta, etc

The vast majority of UK ISPs use BTs exchange equipment to supply their broadband, for those ISPs you should use the information on the left.
      The following is a list of providers offering an alternative service to BT Wholesale based broadband in your area.

LLU
      AOL Not available
      Be* Not available
      C&W/Bulldog Not available
      Edge Telecom Not available
      Homechoice Not available
      Lumison Not available
      NewNet Not available
      Node4 Not available
      O2 Not available
      Orange Not available
      Pipex Not available
      Smallworld Not available
      Sky Not available
      TalkTalk Not available
      Tiscali Not available
      UK Online Not available
      WB Internet Not available
      Zen Not available

Cable
      Virgin Media Not available
      Smallworld Media Not available

Wireless
      LTT Broadband Not available
      EMnet Not available
      Kijoma Not available
      Now Wireless Not available
      OnLincolnshire Not available
      UrbanWimax Not available

BT Line Speed Estimation

Fixed ADSL: 2048 kbps (2 Mb)
      DSL Max : 8000 kbps (8 Mb)
      21CN WBC : Not Available

Important: The above figures are obtained from the BTw database, which is often conservative.
      DSLmax speeds are best guess based on the surrounding area and cannot take into effect individual line conditions which may effect the result such as the type of equipment you use or other issues which may affect the Signal to Noise Ratio.

If you already have adsl then you may be interested in Max dsl speed calculator which may give a better indication of your lines capability.
      RAG Test Results

Fixed: 1Mbps and 2Mbps available
      radsl: 512Kbps and 256Kbps available
      MAX: ADSL Max is available
      SDSL: Exchange Not Enabled
      TPON: No info
      Check: The check identified another service on your line which may prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection. Examples are : Existing adsl connection, DACs, LLU, TPON etc

adsl 1 linecode : GGEC
      dslmax linecode: GEGEGEC
      sdsl linecode:

Explanation of RAG codes.
      *Distance calculations are provided as a guide only, using information from google maps.
      Postcodes cover a particular area and therefore should not be taken as "door to door" distance .

Thanks
      Blog Entries

no i had to buy my sky+ box as i had a free sky box myself prior to upgrading.
      Sky's argument would be that the standard box would have cost the same price at the original sign up, as new technology becomes available, the costs decrease on supply and demand.

I had to pay for my HD box when I wanted to upgrade. I think the only thing Sky have got wrong is the £60 install for existing customers. As for subscriptions, same in most walks of life, the new customer always gets the better deal.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

Have you not heard of skys HD offer to new customers SKY HD + from Tescos one years free subscription for £199.00 pick it up in your tescos today.

new customer always gets the better deal
      hence why I want to disconnect in a year or too they may think the £400+ per year (oh I mean £282per year) might be worth sorting this out shame theyre not interesting in doing it today and saving themselves the reconnection engineers visit that they will have to pay again and the new free box they will eventually offer me with a new warranty if they get me back :-(.

Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

understand where your coming from, however in business terms the minute after you leave, dozens of people will sign up. Had an engineer here today who said he had never been busier with installations.

Thanks

I wonder how many millions sky pays out to its engineers to re-install sky in its old customers property. I guess its just another huge write off large companies dont worry about . Funny I thought Rupert Merdoc was a shrewd businesmen I guess hes not so hands on as R.Brandson?

I also see sky has just hiked up its broadband fees for existing customers too

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Funny I thought Rupert Merdoc was a shrewd businesmen I guess hes not so hands on as R.Brandson?
      Sky are a lot better off financially than VM are. Sir Dickie wasn't that smart to put his name to them though.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast