Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is this the service I can expect?

This is a discussion on Is this the service I can expect? within the Sky unhappiness forums, part of the Sky Broadband feedback category; Just had a really frustrating morning on the 'phone to Sky; here is a copy of the email I have ...

roughtfish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is this the service I can expect?

Just had a really frustrating morning on the 'phone to Sky; here is a copy of the email I have sent to Head Office detailing the events;

Unfortunately, I have been forced to write to you with a tale of Sky woe.

On Friday, I received an email from the excellent broadband resource site The Broadband Resource informing me that Sky have upgraded my exchange (Plympton). Excellent I thought, and although happy with my current broadband supplier I am a sucker for new technology (as you can see with my Sky HD subscription of 53.50 a month) and decided to change.

So I use your online availability checker and telephone Sky on Friday to double check this information, and was told "yes", Broadband Max is available on your line by BOTH. Having made those checks, I then give my 30 days notice to my current supplier and request a MAC, which I received this morning.

Imagine my surprise therefore when I 'phone you this morning and the gentleman informs me that Max is not actually available on my line as my exchange has not been upgraded. He did say he would go to double check, but then elected to hang up on me instead.

So I 'phone back and again am told it is not available, but this time because "it could all be used up". So far I have had 3 different opinions (not including the website!). By this time I am slightly annoyed and request to speak to a supervisor, a request that, surprise surprise, is refused. Instead I am put through to Customer Services...

Stephanie of Customer Services is very understanding, does another check and lo and behold I can now get Max!! Unfortunately, she is unable to put through the order herself, so gives me the number 08705 515 515 and tells me to press 2112 when I hear the lady speak and to inform the next operator that I can in fact receive Max.

So I dial again...

Amy deals with my call, and after checking my line informs me that my Exchange is not yet enabled and that the two operators who have told me I can receive Max were, quite simply, "lying". She did offer to keep checking the system for me (as it is obviously fruitless me doing so) and to phone me back when Max is available (so full marks to Amy).

So to summarise;

2 Operators tell me I can receive Max
      1 Operator hangs up
      2 Operators tell me I can't
      1 Sky website that said I can (and still says I can!)
      1 non-Sky website tells me I can
      Oh, and the fact that I have CANCELED my existing supply on YOUR say so.

As you can imagine I am extremely angry at this state of affairs and leave it in your hands to unravel this whole sorry adventure and restore my faith in Sky.

Regards

2. Advertisement
      englishrick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alsager
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Is this the service I can expect?

Just because you have requested your MAC from your current ISP doesnt mean you have cancelled it. You have 30 days to use the MAC and if it has not been used by then, then nothing changes with your current ISP

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hi

If we assume your exchanged was upgraded to Sky / Easynet LLU last week, it can take up to a month to then become available to sell slots on it so to speak.

Yes, it may be ready for MAX etc, but until it has gone through Quality Control etc then Sky would not be able to order the work for BT to change you over.

It does not however excuse the way you have been spoken to, but remember, Sky would not probably have the all clear to start putting orders on it.

Good Luck!
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Hi

If we assume your exchanged was upgraded to Sky / Easynet LLU last week, it can take up to a month to then become available to sell slots on it so to speak.

Yes, it may be ready for MAX etc, but until it has gone through Quality Control etc then Sky would not be able to order the work for BT to change you over.

It does not however excuse the way you have been spoken to, but remember, Sky would not probably have the all clear to start putting orders on it.

Good Luck!
      After reading on this (excellent) site I understand this now, it's a pity the Sky rep on Friday (or the Sky website) wasn't privy to this info or the trials this morning could have been avoided. Still, it doesn't seem like anyone at Sky really knows what is going on and I wonder on Friday if I was requesting a new broadband provisioning rtaher than just confirmation what would have happened...

With regards to the MAC, it does say on my current suppliers site that they take the request as your 30 days notice but a phone call will sort it I imagine.

Cheers

roughtfish

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

There is a good chance that within the 30 days life of your MAC that you should be able to order Sky (if you still want to) as long as the MAC is used within 30 days, that is sufficient.

Some ISP's that I have been with, do not treat your MAC as a cancellation, ie:

1) If used then the MAC is your 30 day notice so to speak

2) If not used then your original contract will continue

This was policy for Plusnet and Freedom 2 Surf when I was with them.

Remember though, if you do leave your current ISP, then you are liable to 30 days notice as a payment.

For example, your contract date is 1st June (normal monthly payment) you request a MAC on 15th June, use your MAC and actually migrate say 30th June, then you should be able to walk away from your contract.

However, you get your MAC on 15th June and then migrate 4th July, you would be liable for the difference ie 3 days. ( I am not a lawyer and that is my interpretation of it)
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I've just had a reply to my email and it turns out Max is available! Lets hope the information is reliable this time....

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Stick your details in at the Sky site or on the Sam Knows site and you will able to see what packages are available.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      Stick your details in at the Sky site or on the Sam Knows site and you will able to see what packages are available.
      Umm, I did;

On Friday, I received an email from the excellent broadband resource site The Broadband Resource informing me that Sky have upgraded my exchange (Plympton). Excellent I thought, and although happy with my current broadband supplier I am a sucker for new technology (as you can see with my Sky HD subscription of 53.50 a month) and decided to change.

So I use your online availability checker and telephone Sky on Friday to double check this information, and was told "yes", Broadband Max is available on your line by BOTH. Having made those checks, I then give my 30 days notice to my current supplier and request a MAC, which I received this morning.

SKIMBLET is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WORLE
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You say you are a sucker for new technology !! broadband is not new and should work fine, I think someone forgot to tell sky this, if I was in your position I would stay with your current isp, hold on I was in your position several months ago and was told the same things and had problems signing up, but still went on with it...........Hindsight is a wonderful thing to have, shame I aint got it.

TSx
      TSx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quite often, the online checker doesn't tally with the billing system, and it can't be overridden...

LinkBacks (?)