Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Just when I thought my troubles were over.....yeah right!

This is a discussion on Just when I thought my troubles were over.....yeah right! within the Sky unhappiness forums, part of the Sky Broadband feedback category; After a battle of 2 months I was finally activated over the weekend. There I was, happily surfing a short ...

GillyB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect , which is pants!
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Just when I thought my troubles were over.....yeah right!

After a battle of 2 months I was finally activated over the weekend.
      There I was, happily surfing a short while ago then all of a sudden no internet connection, although the router is displaying a green internet light. I've rebooted the router and carried out a repair of the network connection on my laptop but am still unable to connect to the internet.

Once again am connection to my neighbours wireless network.

Anybody got any clues and what can I try next. Apart from demanding a MAC and going elsewhere that is.

2. Advertisement
      Laurentl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Just when I thought my troubles were over.....yeah right!

Might be to do with same problem in other posting. see my post in 'Down for about 15 minutes error code 200'.

allen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Midlands
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Anybody got any clues and what can I try next. Apart from demanding a MAC and going elsewhere that is.[/QUOTE]

Have you checked whether your connection drops if you link to the router by wire? This might help isolate the problem and avoid wasting time on elements which are working. It certainly helped me.

Good luck

GillyB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect , which is pants!
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks, I'll try connecting via ethernet cable next time it happens.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I had a problem like this when I was on BT and setting up wi-fi for the 1st time on my wife's laptop it kept on dropping every 10 mins and then I had to fully reset the wireless for another 10 mins.

In the end it was due to the wireless card drivers having "an issue" ie the card dropped out if there was a wireless frequency clash and so needed to get the updated ones from the manufacturers website.

So like stated earlier try ethernet if that works look for updated device drivers.

Nebiroth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Try connecting direct to the router by using the 192.168.0.1 address. If you can't do it wirelessly, try it using a wire instead. If a wired connection works but wireless does not then the problem is likely the wireless bit. You can connect direct to the router regardless of the state of the connection to the outside world so it's a good test of the router-PC wireless bit.

If that is the case try changing the channels on the wireless card and router (remember they will have to match!).

I had horrific problems getting my Asus card and router talking to each other. At first I thought the internet connection wasn't working at all, but then I tried just connecting to the router itself and that didn't work either, unless I used a wire, which worked fine.

I had to change the Sky pre-set channel (1) to something different. I've no idea why this helped, because the nearby routers weren't using the channel I was trying. I reset the router and card to use channel 6 and it worked perfectly. If you do this try to use a channel your neighbours aren't.

As has been suggested, also try seeing if your wireless card has newer drivers.