Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DSL-AC88U on Sky Ultra Unlimited

This is a discussion on DSL-AC88U on Sky Ultra Unlimited within the Sky Ultra Fibre Optic Broadband forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, I am looking for a help from all you experts out there . I was helped on this ...

Heavynetpro is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Exclamation DSL-AC88U on Sky Ultra Unlimited

Hi All,

I am looking for a help from all you experts out there . I was helped on this forum once and I am really great full for that but this time its for a friend of mine.
      He recently got sky ultra fiber (~ 1 Gbps) internet and I recommended to him to get DSL-AC88U. When everything is connected I get no DSL light on the modem.
      I plugged it the yellow cable in the WAN port at the back of the router but I just couldn't get it to work? Is it even possible to get this to work with DSL-AC88U or does he need a new modem/router?
      I assume that the box in the picture below is a modem but I am not 100% on that. Does anyone has any experience with this setup?

Thanks for your help.

DSL-AC88U on Sky Ultra Unlimited-20200915_220102.jpgDSL-AC88U on Sky Ultra Unlimited-20200915_220129.jpg

2. Advertisement
      skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Zen VDSL 80/20 - ex sky fibre pro
      Router: ECI CAB - Zyxel vmg3925 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: DSL-AC88U on Sky Ultra Unlimited

Quote Originally Posted by Heavynetpro View Post
      Hi All,

I am looking for a help from all you experts out there . I was helped on this forum once and I am really great full for that but this time its for a friend of mine.
      He recently got sky ultra fiber (~ 1 Gbps) internet and I recommended to him to get DSL-AC88U. When everything is connected I get no DSL light on the modem.
      I plugged it the yellow cable in the WAN port at the back of the router but I just couldn't get it to work? Is it even possible to get this to work with DSL-AC88U or does he need a new modem/router?
      I assume that the box in the picture below is a modem but I am not 100% on that. Does anyone has any experience with this setup?

Thanks for your help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200915_220102.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	304.6 KB 
ID:	6866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200915_220129.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	526.6 KB 
ID:	6867
      Hi. So assuming the pic shows the modem you just need a router that's compatible. Looking at the manual the 6th port as you look left to right at the back shows that being a wan port. Try connecting that to the modem.

I assume you would need to configure the unit to set it up in "wan" mode rather than modem/router mode. You could also check the firmware version and update too. If this all fails then I would stick with a router only device that supports sky's wan config as you don't need an all in one solution for this setup.
      zyxel VMG3925 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6 now Zen ex Sky fibre pro
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for ECI VDSL line stats by pi3

click for Huawei VDSL line stats by pi3

coipu is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: opnSense-I78550-Fanless
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

From the ONT in the pic to router should be same as what he is using LAN to WAN on router. The router's setting is the thing, it needs to know how to connect. Does sky still use opt61 nonsense for FTTP (I don't know the answer to this) if it does the ASUS ain't gonna work without custom firmware or SSH into router and give it the commands it needs to connect. If Sky don't do this any more it will just be setting WAN to PPPoE then a default user pass combo search for BT 3rd party router in Google for a clue. You could try ringing and asking them, T&Cs might be different for FTTP.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes I know its the router that needs the configuration. Personally I would have gone with the RT variant and merlin in case option 61 is reqd for fttp... he needs to call them I guess to find out what settings may be required in case its different as you say.
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

Heavynetpro is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Thanks to all for the valuable information. The only reason I suggested him to get DSL-AC88U was because I assumed that he has the same setup as mine. I have identical DSL-AC88U and it didn't require a custom firmware to enable (opt61). Only when I went to his house I discovered that he already has a modem in place and only then I realized that it might not be as straight forward setup as I thought. I didn't know that the has FTTP setup otherwise I would have bought RT version.

I had it connected to WAN port on the modem/router and I had WAN option selected, I tried to use the same generic username/password but without luck, DSL light was still off and no internet.
      Does anyone know if sky still use opt61 nonsense for FTTP?

Are there any other options left without selling this unit & getting RT version?

In the meantime I will do some more googling with hope to find some answers.

Thanks to all, much appreciated.

Exchange:
      Thanks

If you use the wan port the dsl light will not be lit. You need to ask sky what the wan port config is and look in the gui/manual to see what settings are required when you have a modem in front of it.
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap