Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Sky Ultrafast

This is a discussion on Sky Ultrafast within the Sky Ultra Fibre Optic Broadband forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've not noticed this posted anywhere, but I'm sure I must have just missed it as it seems fairly big ...

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Ultrafast 1
      Router: Sky Hub SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Sky Ultrafast

I've not noticed this posted anywhere, but I'm sure I must have just missed it as it seems fairly big news .. however, it sounds like Sky are finally about to start their (delayed) rollout of ultrafast:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...p-service.html

Unfortunately its currently a fairly small pilot and no-one seems to know what the criteria is for joining. I just tried ringing and spoke to a very friendly but fairly unknowledgable guy from a call centre abroad, who stated categorically there is no fttp pilot scheme going on. which seems unlikely judging by the comments made by others who have been given it.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Sky Ultrafast

hahaahahah!!!! I got it! I gave up as a bad job with the guy who had no knowledge, but we're currently having issues with our Sky Q mini box linking to the main box - had an engineer out previously that fiddled with stuff, and advised to get another engineer out if it didn't work - which it didn't. So I asked the guy to see if he could transfer me through to someone who could arrange for another engineer to come out.

I was on the phone for a VERY long time - organised for an engineer to come out and, at the end, asked the lady if she knew anything about the pilot scheme. She was a bit cagey about it, and said she'd check my number, and I was convinced she was going to come back and say no .. but she didn't.

By the 23rd July I should have the same number, but be paying Sky for Ultrafast 1, at around 145Mb download speed, guaranteed minimum of 100Mb, and the phone, and "boost", 35. I'm currently paying BT 65 for 75Mb download.

She also looked at my TV package at the same time, reduced the price of that by 6, but also added Netflix premium into it, which with Sky is apparently 6, and we're currently paying Netflix direct 9. So, if my calculations are correct, I've just saved myself 45 a month. Happy days :-)
      seawright likes this.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Lucky that you hadn't locked yourself into a new contract with BT.
      Will Sky be sending you a new hub (router)?
      edit:
      I'm presuming that you will keep your existing ONT though you will probably have to move your telephone patch lead from the ONT to the Sky hub, assuming that they send you one.

Thanks

Yes they're sending me a new hub. She made a big thing about it being their "newest and best". It should be a straight swap, removing the BT hub from the ONT and replacing it with the Sky one. The only difference is that currently my phone plugs directly into the ONT, whereas with Sky it plugs into the back of the hub. She said that therefore means that any phone extensions will not work, but I'm assuming that means any "plug into a phone extension socket" extensions - mine are all wireless (although obviously plugged into power sockets).

I did have to ask to keep my number - she'd gone through most of the process and forgotten to ask about that, so had to start again. So worth remembering, if you want to keep it.

I was very close to re-signing with BT once lockdown happened. I'd resigned myself to the fact that with lockdown, Sky wouldn't be progressing any further, and decided that it was probably better to try and get a better deal with BT and just suck it up. The only reason I didn't was that, when I tried to do it on the BT website, it told me to ring them, and whenever I rang them it told me to use the website and then disconnected me :P So thanks for that, BT :P
      Last edited by Stumpy; 09-07-20 at 11:05 PM. Reason: more info

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

@Stumpy

Been following it on this Kitz forum thread:
      https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,24863.0.html

No FTTP at my address (only FTTP on demand) but Sky Ultrafast is offered as FTTC G.Fast
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      The only difference is that currently my phone plugs directly into the ONT, whereas with Sky it plugs into the back of the hub. She said that therefore means that any phone extensions will not work, but I'm assuming that means any "plug into a phone extension socket" extensions - mine are all wireless (although obviously plugged into power sockets).
      Don't know if you have changed your phone setup but if I remember correctly your builder provided you with a patch lead to connect between your ONT and extension telephone socket. If you now have a cordless phone base station directly connected to the ONT then yes you will have to move the connection to the Sky hub. One thing I will say is that having a DEC phone base station next to the Sky Hub could interfere with the Wi-Fi signal slowing down the wireless connection so if possible try to keep a minimum of two metres between the two devices.
      That figure sounds familiar, now where have I heard that before?

Thanks

I've just read the blurb that came from Sky mentioning about the phone base station .. may well have to move that. Although I also have a mesh system in the house, so hopefully shouldn't be too much of a problem.

My builder was a little "hit n miss" with the telecommunications provision - it was only when I kicked up a fuss that they realised they'd forgotten to actually let the BT engineer into the majority of the houses on the site - and the BT engineer simply knocked on doors of empty/unoccupied houses and then moved on. Even after we got the ONT installed (where they thought they may have cut the fibre too short, so that was all sorts of drama) it turned out they'd forgotten to test the telephone extension sockets .. one of which did not even have a wire to it (still doesn't) and one where the socket was faulty. AND no patch wire provided. In the end I sorted that myself after they fixed the socket .. but we don't use them anyway. However .. I do currently have a phone splitter, so I'll just have to move that.

Thanks

In an amazing coincidence, today I got a mass mailed pamphlet through the letterbox this morning advertising "Lightning-fast speeds are here", offering Superfast (59Mb) at 27/m or Ultrafast (145Mb) at 35/m - so I guess they're just in the process of rolling this out on a larger scale. It is an offer "for new customers only", but I'm assuming that as we're not necessarily a Sky Broadband customer, then it might apply :P

The only thing I'm a little concerned about is the Broadband Boost that is bundled for free with the package. Mainly because it states it tests your line daily which may result in up to 90 seconds outage. On their website it states this happens between midnight and 5am. We have several of us in the house who regularly are still using the internet - streaming, gaming, etc, until into the early hours - I'm not sure I'd be happy if that regularly cut people off.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Is this the same thing?

Sky Ultrafast-capture.jpg
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

Looks like it .. although your offering seems to be cheaper!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast