Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Like Tree6Likes

Sky rule out own FTTP network

This is a discussion on Sky rule out own FTTP network within the Sky Ultra Fibre Optic Broadband forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I wouldn't say that I am any good at haggling and it is something that I would hardly ever do ...

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky rule out own FTTP network

I wouldn't say that I am any good at haggling and it is something that I would hardly ever do in a shop (in this country anyway) but insurance, energy, TV, telephone and broadband are entirely different entities. If you accept the asking price without challenging it (especially for re-contracts) you are bound to get ripped off. It would be great to be offered a decent price that would stay the same (cost of living increases accepted). Unfortunately that is not how the market works. While ever marketing and retention teams offer discounts to meet their targets there will be good deals for new customers and potential leaver while existing (happy?) customers are charged unnecessarily high prices to pay for these subsidised deals. I can't say I like the system or the aggravation of playing it but I don't want to be taken for a mug either.

At one time having the majority of your services with one supplier was the best way to save money but this no longer appears to be the case. Indeed it wasn't so long ago that Sky were offering a deal on telephone and broadband that was not available to Sky TV customers or those wishing to also take Sky TV.

Another thing, as Stumpy says, is the cost of phone calls. For some people it may be a no-brainer to take an all inclusive package. It can certainly give peace of mind that you are not going to be confronted with an unexpectedly high bill, but for others who make few calls on their home phone pay as you go will work out cheaper. The problem is for those in the middle where some months call charges may be more than an all inclusive charge and other months pay as you go would save them money. Add to this the time of day, or day of the week, limited calls packages and saving money gets even more confusing. I would like to see a pay as you go tariff with a monthly cap, something that I have occasionally seen being offered by some mobile service providers but not in the home phone market. Sorry if I'm going slightly off topic.

2. Advertisement
      gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Actually, I think I'd prefer FTTP through a premium provider!

I don't have the choice of VM here, it's FTTC or nothing. Thankfully I have 2 lines that are pretty performant and together I get a good speed.

I'd much prefer FTTP @ 330Mbit or 500 if I could get it!
      Stumpy likes this.

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Ultrafast 1
      Router: Sky Hub SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Another thing, as Stumpy says, is the cost of phone calls. For some people it may be a no-brainer to take an all inclusive package. It can certainly give peace of mind that you are not going to be confronted with an unexpectedly high bill, but for others who make few calls on their home phone pay as you go will work out cheaper. The problem is for those in the middle where some months call charges may be more than an all inclusive charge and other months pay as you go would save them money. Add to this the time of day, or day of the week, limited calls packages and saving money gets even more confusing. I would like to see a pay as you go tariff with a monthly cap, something that I have occasionally seen being offered by some mobile service providers but not in the home phone market. Sorry if I'm going slightly off topic.
      Completely agree here. We're one of those "middle of the road" customers where some months I may not use the phone virtually at all .. yet other times I'll use it quite a lot (and when I say quite a lot .. perhaps a couple of hours total during the month, but often at peak times). So in order to have peace of mind, we're paying an extra 9 ish a month for inclusive calls.

To be honest, phones over fibre confuse me. It's not the same as copper .. it's effectively using your broadband connection to transmit your conversations as data I think? They claim that my "package" of phone and broadband includes the line rental .. but it's the same line as my broadband .. used in the same way. Yet I'm still paying for it as if it were the standard copper line. But I can't, without a lot of hassle, switch to a different phone provider. Currently I can't even switch to another company for phone and broadband, or even just for broadband. And from the enquiries I've been making, if I wanted to currently get a phone/broadband deal anywhere other than BT, I'd have to split it. Some companies WILL support the FTTP .. but they won't do the phone as well. So I'd have to go to a VoiP provider .. which sounds more hassle than it's worth at the moment, and still no cheaper.

Yet .. I could "phone" someone from my computer using my internet connection, or using my wifi via my mobile, using things such as Facetime, Skype, Whatsapp, etc .. and that is all included in my broadband package. So why do I pay for individual phone calls from a phone, using the same connection? Very confusing.

At the very least, it would be nice to have the phone side of things paid for similar to mobile phones .. where you have so many bundled minutes per month, regardless of the time of day .. and you'd just pay for the bundle of minutes that you think would suit you. If you thought you'd be going over for a month .. you'd just buy an addon pack of, say, another 60 minutes. Although that could get annoying real quick if you're having to sit in a queue waiting for some customer service guy to answer the phone ...
      seawright likes this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      Actually, I think I'd prefer FTTP through a premium provider!

I don't have the choice of VM here, it's FTTC or nothing. Thankfully I have 2 lines that are pretty performant and together I get a good speed.

I'd much prefer FTTP @ 330Mbit or 500 if I could get it!
      I just checked on the BT site .. they have a 330 speed FTTP .. although they actually only guarantee 100mb... which is weird. 60 per month rising to 65 after 18 months.

Interestingly .. it had an option to click through to see the "current customer offers" .. logged in to see what the price would be for me to upgrade to that package .. and it told me "You don't have a landline with us, so we can't show you any offers at the moment. To transfer your line over to BT, and get one of our fantastic bundles, click the link or call us". Nice ... they're charging me for a phone line that they don't have a record of.

** Oh it's worth noting, by the way, that spam phone calls appear to be on the rise. And I'm noticing them more because .. although my "package" includes a nuisance call protect on it ... it doesn't work currently on FTTP.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

FTTP with some providers can go to 1Gbps. A chap I work with who lives about 30 miles from me can get Freeola FTTP as he is in a new build house - I think he said he could get 500Mbps, but felt 330 was more than enough.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      FTTP with some providers can go to 1Gbps. A chap I work with who lives about 30 miles from me can get Freeola FTTP as he is in a new build house - I think he said he could get 500Mbps, but felt 330 was more than enough.
      Ooooh they didn't pop up back when I was doing my search. Says the max I can get is 330. I thought all fibre could do the same speeds. That one also says that I don't have a BT phone ... don't know why. Perhaps I should ask BT about that!

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Although your BT bill may show that you are being charged for their telephone service if you haven't got a copper pair connected to your property from a BT exchange or PCP then you don't have a BT line.

You may have internal telephone wiring, though this will be connected to a telephone socket feeding an analogue telephony adaptor (ATA) built into the Fibre to the Premises Optical Network Termination device (FTTP ONT).

It is Voice Over IP (VOIP) - though BT Openreach call it Fibre Voice Access (FVA) - but unlike VOIP from any another provider it bypasses your router.

dog-man is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Does anybody have any photos they could post or link to of the boxes they install on telegraph poles to enable FTTP?

I know that BT are in the process of upgrading my area to FTTP but I have no idea where in my area they currently are working.

Thanks

Not on poles above ground in our area .. all below ground and then green cabinets. The box on the side of the house is a fairly large grey box where the fibre goes into the property, so that could be an indicator of properties getting it.

dog-man is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Well, if reports are correct, Openreach are 7 months ish into a 12 month project to install FTTP in and around my area but so far, I have seen nothing to convince me that it has actually started.
      It was supposed to have begun last July.

- - - Updated - - -

Surely Openreach are not going to dig up all of our pavements?

They were all dug up by Virgin last year.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast