Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree6Likes

Sky rule out own FTTP network

This is a discussion on Sky rule out own FTTP network within the Sky Ultra Fibre Optic Broadband forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by The Realist But BT are so poor in catching up with other countries setups and they are ...

vfx
      vfx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub 2 SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD x4 MS
      Thanks

Re: Sky rule out own FTTP network

Quote Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
      But BT are so poor in catching up with other countries setups and they are way behind and should of invested for the future years ago, now its catch up and by god its slowwwwww.
      Ain't that the truth.

2. Advertisement
      BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

BT are a business as well as monopolising the infrastructure so it is hardly surprising that they prioritise work that is going to benefit themselves.

vfx
      vfx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub 2 SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD x4 MS
      Thanks

While other countries are so far ahead.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I suspect that Sky were just too afraid of spending years on the project with little immediate reward.
      Unfortunately this is a criticism levelled at Sky all too often. They only do things that will give them a short term gain. All too often they don't look at the long-term picture. The world is moving towards on-demand IP based viewing but Sky continue to spend ridiculous amounts on football instead of things that give a long term return.
      speedyrite likes this.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Ultrafast 1
      Router: Sky Hub SR203
      Thanks

I've just seen these .. I wonder when it will all start to happen? I'm bummed that I'm currently forced to use BT for my FTTP as they currently have a virtual monopoly on it, but when I spoken to them back in May/June time, they did say it would be around a year before other companies would be able to start offering it, due to it still being classed as in "testing" stages.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...broadband.html

(that article also links to: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...broadband.html )

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Not sure how Sky will manage to "build their own FTTP" network. Like the copper network, surely all the ducts and telegraph poles are owned by BT/OR?

Still, as I now have FTTC connections with two different ISPs, I am very interested to see what options I will have going forward. I am counting the days to FTTP, I just have absolutely no idea how many.

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

VM will be available in my road at the end of the year.
      If there is no concrete evidence that Sky will be offering better speeds in my area, I will be jumping ship.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      Not sure how Sky will manage to "build their own FTTP" network. Like the copper network, surely all the ducts and telegraph poles are owned by BT/OR?

Still, as I now have FTTC connections with two different ISPs, I am very interested to see what options I will have going forward. I am counting the days to FTTP, I just have absolutely no idea how many.
      I thought they were trialling it for a while .. installing their own cables etc (like Virgin does .. so completely seperate from BT). See https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...d-network.html for a bit of info on that.

Quote Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
      VM will be available in my road at the end of the year.
      If there is no concrete evidence that Sky will be offering better speeds in my area, I will be jumping ship.
      I'm not a fan of Virgin. Their prices "sound" good, but when you actually compare like for like, they're not much different (other than the fact that they advertise much faster broadband speeds).

We moved into a new house where the options were BT FTTP or Virgin .. at the time we were spun all sorts of lines about how long each would take to get set up, so we ended up on a three month trial with Virgin as they promised to get us up and running within 10 days of moving in. Unfortunately due to a combination of muck-ups, it was a lot longer than that, and even when it was installed we ended up with them back several times as (a) it turned out they'd not installed everything on installation day and (b) some of it wasn't working properly.

We had recently signed up for the Sky Q silver boxes, and wanted to continue using them, but it turned out the Virgin Hub didn't play well with the Q boxes .. causing regular drop-outs of the Sky boxes, and regular resets of the Virgin Hub (which would then take around 10 minutes to start up again). The phone number we were given was a recycled one, and the previous owner obviously owed debts, judging by the phone calls we received .. plus the sound quality was poor and the cost of phone calls was huge. The broadband speed was reportedly 200Mb (and speedtests indeed stated that) but actually using "real world" didn't bear that out. When we switched to the BT FTTP 76Mb download speed, I did a test download of a movie. Same movie, same quality. Took almost three times longer to download using Virgin.

Our experience with Virgin doesn't mean everyone else will have the same problems .. or anyone else for that matter .. but I'd only use Virgin as a last resort. We had so many problems with them, in fact, that by the end of the three month free trial period (where we paid a silly amount for phone calls), we still ended up in profit because of the compensation they'd given us.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

When it came down to it, if I had the choice of having VM today, or waiting a year for FTTP - I know which I would choose.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      When it came down to it, if I had the choice of having VM today, or waiting a year for FTTP - I know which I would choose.
      Well sure .. that's a no brainer Was why we went Virgin initially when we first moved into the new house. And if your choice is either FTTC or Virgin, it's an even easier decision to make, as long as you don't have the Sky Q box (unless they've fixed the incompatibilities now).

FTTP is "kinda" great .. but at the end of the day it costs more and, because it's fairly new, getting decent customer service if something goes wrong is a major pain. I reckon in 3-5 years it will be more mainstream and better supported ... at which point it becomes a slightly more complicated decision. Heck, when we first moved into this house, the first thing we did was ring Sky to get broadband installed .. not realising at the time that Sky didn't support FTTP .. unfortunately Sky CS were also unaware of what it was, what we had and what they could provide .. they just kept telling us we had to wait another few weeks for it to show on their system. It took many phone calls and messages on forums before we realised our only choices were VM cable or BT fibre.

We're actually currently tied in to an 18 month contract with BT, so I'm just hoping that Sky will have launched their FTTP options by the time that contract is up. And that it's at a reasonable cost. I really hate BT's (and Virgins) way of dragging you in with special deals, and then boosting the prices signficantly when the contract is up, or forcing you to basically beg on bended knee for another price reduction. I'd much rather pay a more reasonable subscription monthly, without having to beg every 12-24 months. Not that I don't do that with Sky anyway .. but it is with reluctance.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast