Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree7Likes

Discovery & Eurosport channels etc.,

This is a discussion on Discovery & Eurosport channels etc., within the Sky TV Channels forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Anybody got any ideas on what is going on with regard to BSkyB & Discovery Network Channels? It is one ...

Gazzadp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newbury
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD,Finally!
      Thanks

Discovery & Eurosport channels etc.,

Anybody got any ideas on what is going on with regard to BSkyB & Discovery Network Channels?

It is one of either....

Discovery Networks demanding more money?

or

BSkyB demanding more money?

Either way, why is it always us the paying viewer (subscriber) who is the one who is made to either worry or lose out!

PS: Note to admin, I was really unsure of where to post this thread, so feel free to move it if needs be.

Gazzadp

2. Advertisement
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Discovery & Eurosport channels etc.,

Discovery goes to war with Sky over channel fees with blackout threat

Discovery, the US media giant behind the TLC and Eurosport channels, has issued an extraordinary public threat to withdraw all its programming from Sky over claims it "refuses to pay a fair price".

The company, which has spent 1bn acquire pan-European rights to the Olympics, said its channels will be switched off on Sky at the end of the month if a deal is not reached.

Discovery's decision to make a public blackout threat comes after months of fraught negotiation that the company said had reached an impasse.
      Sky Help Article - Highlighted on sky.com home page:
      Important information - Changes to your Sky channels

Discovery's desperate plea to their viewers? :
      CALLING ALL SKY AND NOW TV VIEWERS: YOU MAY LOSE YOUR FAVOURITE DISCOVERY PROGRAMMES AND CHANNELS
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,247 Times in 2,108 Posts

It would be a shame if these channels were removed from the channel we have available. As an example Discovery has long been associated with Sky and has delivered many good documentaries.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/ch...hannel_changes
      Animal Planet, Discovery HD, Discovery History, Discovery Home & Health, Discovery Science, Discovery Shed, Discovery Turbo, DMAX, Eurosport1, Eurosport2, Investigation Discovery, Quest and TLC.
      Of all those channel I personally don't watch more than an hour's content each week normally. That's between them all. So personally I would be a little upset, but I realise that there is a lot more content on Sky that what Discovery is suggesting.

Discovery goes to war with Sky over channel fees with blackout threat
      Sky has argued in negotiations that events that take place every four years do not draw monthly subscribers.
      I'd have to agree with that. Eurosport does offer an on-line service which people can sign up to. Ok it's normally 59.99 per year, currently on offer for 19.99. A day pass is currently 5.99.

The Telegraph article is suggesting that this is all related to the increase costs for Sky Sports PL content. This is believable. I'm not sure if it is 100% true, but certainly possible. Discovery though is looking to retain the monetary value they get from our subscriptions in order to help recoup the costs for the Olympics.

When this country hosted the 2012 Olympics the BBC offered additional channels so that people could watch a larger number of live events. This was hugely popular at the time. It wasn't repeated last year for the Brazilian Olympics. I can't see Eurosport offering such a service for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics and beside, most of the action will be happening whilst we are all fast asleep.

The real issue isn't perhaps so much about the detail I've listed above, but more about what might happen with other providers? UKTV, Universal, NatGeo and many more will all be watching these events knowing that they too will face these price changes.

I'm sure that Amazon, BT and Netflix will each be watching these events with bated breath and already working behind the scenes in order to scoop up Discovery's portfolio should Sky let them go.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Discovery channel or set of channels are not what Discovery used to be. When it first started it was a pretty unique channel, but that type of content is in a lot of places now. The sky David Attenborough series were just brilliant.
      The discovery channels all just seem to be turned into endless reality shows now.
      That section of channels from 420 is well populated but not somewhere I often visit. Just forget its there most of the time.

As a sports fan and do watch occasional things on Eurosport, like some tennis and Le Mans. Their commentary is just awful for motorsports and always has been and the advertising and sponsorship is often a big turn off. But do like their tennis round up programme and that surpasses anything I've seen elsewhere. Its not something I would pay for.
      The BBC will still ahve the olympics, but not quite what we have had in 2012 and 2016 with all the extra channels.

By the way Discovery and Europsort is already on BT TV.
      Nat Geo are owned by 21st century Fox.

Gazzadp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newbury
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD,Finally!
      Thanks

I am hoping that this will get sorted out on before the 31st January, but I think realistically it may not be. If that is the case then it will lead to one of 2 possible outcomes...

1. Discovery Networks pull *ALL* of their channels from BSkyB and then try and launch a subscription package via Internet and IPTV, similiar to Eurosport Player.

2. Discovery Networks possibly launch as a stand-a-lone extra channel package, as is the case with ESPN/BT Sports package.

Having been with Sky since 1991, as Lettice has said Discovery Networks has in many ways ruined its flagship Discovery Channel, the days when it was a decent documentary style channel have long gone. It now produces more of the same old usely reality TV styled programmes, You only have to look at what they did to Storm Chasers, Gold Rush has gone the same way and sadly Deadliest Catch is just as bad now.

I am interested in Weather and especially the type of servere weather that the US gets each Spring and Summer, but Discovery changed the format of Storm Chasers to focus of the people and not the science they were doing, they ruined their own show and then blamed the viewers for nolonger watching.

As for me I watch more sport on Eurosport than I do Sky Sports, I have never been a football fan, I can take or leave cricket. So if I am forced to make a choice between Sky Sports or subscribing to Eurosport player, then I am more than happy to cancel my Sky Sports and pay for Eurosport player.

But I am hoping that will not happen, having been on the old Independent Television Commission now OFCOM that regulates ITV, CH4, CH5 and Sky/Virgin etc., I think that they need to urgently get involved and bang some heads together, as it is not fair on the viewers, the customers and PAYING subscribers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gazzadp View Post
      1. Discovery Networks pull *ALL* of their channels from BSkyB and then try and launch a subscription package via Internet and IPTV, similiar to Eurosport Player.
      Just one point on this. BskyB ceased to be in November 2014.
      In 2014, after completing the acquisition of Sky Italia and Sky Deutschland, the merged company changed its name to Sky plc.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,247 Times in 2,108 Posts

Certainly there is a lot of shuffling going on behind the scenes.

I don't know if someone is gambling with this and hoping that Discovery will realise that they might be better staying with the current setup, albeit with less income.

I thought I saw some viewing figures, but I can't see them in this thread or the linked articles. The only reference was to a 17% drop in viewing figures over a given period of time.

Unfortunately for Discovery, their once unique content has been replicated on other channels and they gone off course to show stuff which quite frankly is boring. Sure I know that series such as 'Big Brother' were hugely popular and still retain a loyal following, but there has been too much of it.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

146Kg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Is B.T. the only option if Sky/Discovery split ?

I agree there is little real in the reality shows, it is most often either self hyping to make a crisis out of an incident with senseless violin accompaniment, or recreated for the camera if it actually happened at all.
      Also the intro after the break repeating the outro before the break and "coming up" adds up to take an hours schedule down to 30 minutes of actual content, but I would miss Discovery to the point of downgrading my Sky package. Some of the Discovery content is still worth watching.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 146Kg View Post
      Is B.T. the only option if Sky/Discovery split ?
      The Discovery channels (Discovery Channel, TLC, Eurosport 1, Eurosport 2, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, DMAX, Discovery Turbo, Discovery Shed, Discovery Science, Discovery History and Home & Health) are available via BT TV, Plusnet TV, Virgin Media and TVPlayer.
      Sky yesterday said Quest will also be affected, but Quest would turn into a FTA channel on satellite. It is already on Freeview, but still encrypted on Sky not allowing Freesat users from accessing the channel.

I did have a look at those Discovery channels last night and for me they are all just utter trash reality tv mostly. Not sure what all the fuss is about. They are not anything like Discovery was a decade or more ago.
      The old discovery ideal is so well catered for on other channels not sure many will really miss it.
      Europoort will be ad ifferent matter, but their sports rights value will be reduced considerably.

The Olympics Eurosport deal will be an issue for Eurosport as I was told last night that Astra and Sky backbone team work closely with the Olympic broadcaster to supply/provide much of the extra stream content (which is what Eurosport will have over the BBC ) before any delivery for all those extra feeds to the UK and will need Sky on board for it to happen across Europe for the next few Olympics. Plans already in place.

nodrog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wskiw
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub SR102
      Sky TV: SKY+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

Ok many people don't watch discovery euro sport tlc etc but if they go sky packages will soon be poor value for money I for one record a fair bit of content from discovery history and missus likes tlc I don't subscribe to sky sports or cinema so my package will loose around 40% of it's value is this going to be reflected in a reduction in subs?

- - - Updated - - -

Watching turbo and a banner message coming up stating that certain channels will not be available from February 1st

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast