Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Like Tree7Likes

Discovery & Eurosport channels etc.,

This is a discussion on Discovery & Eurosport channels etc., within the Sky TV Channels forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Who wins if this happens ? The advertisers can't advertise on the Sky platform in a Discovery ad break at ...

146Kg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Discovery & Eurosport channels etc.,

Who wins if this happens ?

The advertisers can't advertise on the Sky platform in a Discovery ad break at that targeted audience.
      Sky loses revenue from the loss of adverts.
      Discovery loses revenue from Sky.
      The viewer can't get their fix of Discovery goodness and may downsize their bundle or even leave (in either case Sky lose out again).
      It looks like Discovery have done this before, they will price themselves out of the market and lose out if they keep doing this.

Could it all be a publicity stunt ? If both sides met in the middle, both could claim a victory. Discovery get more money and Sky can increase their subscription rate to cover it & can blame Discovery and everybody is happy (apart from the subscription increase).

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 146Kg View Post
      Who wins if this happens ?

The advertisers can't advertise on the Sky platform in a Discovery ad break at that targeted audience.
      Sky loses revenue from the loss of adverts.
      Discovery loses revenue from Sky.
      The viewer ...

Could it all be a publicity stunt ? If both sides met in the middle, both could claim a victory. Discovery get more money and Sky can increase their subscription rate to cover it & can blame Discovery and everybody is happy (apart from the subscription increase).
      Insert targetted ad. for mouth wash.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I've just spent a few hours going through the BARB figures for December 2016. I've identified all the different broadcasters/owners and then extracted their respective viewing figures. From this I've compiled the chart below which shows the main broadcasters as a couple of others, but not quite all of them. It makes for interesting reading...

Position
      Broadcaster Percentage of viewers December 2016
      1 BBC 31.62
      2 ITV 21.77
      3 Channel 4 10.37
      4 Sky 8.9
      5 Viacom 8.51
      6 UKTV 5.72
      7 Sony 1.92
      8 Discovery 1.86
      9 NBC Universal 1.01
      10 Turner 0.91
      11 Disney 0.7
      12 BT Plc 0.52
      13 Channel 4 & Bauer 0.22
      14 Sky & Arena 0.1
      15 National Geo TV 0.07
      16 ABN TV 0.06
      17 Global Radio 0.03
      18 Zee TV 0
      Percentage shown

The sources for BARB's data include Freesat, Freeview, Sky, IPTV & various on-line players (i.e. BBC iPlayer, Sky Go). They don't appear to include Amazon and Netflix. We'll never get the full picture from just Sky, so this is as close as wee can get.

Viacom, for example, owns Channel 5. Turner includes TCM, Cartoon Network and several others. The Discovery figures include all their respective channels.

From these figures it's possible to see whilst Discovery does hold a nice share of the market compared to many, they are in 8th position. So should Sky be paying them what could amount to just under 250 million a year, when according to Sky's 6 monthly results that have just been published, Sky (UK) took 4,267m pre tax?

It works out, assuming Discovery's share of the 1.86% of the viewing figures was an accurate reflection of Sky's viewing share, that Discovery would account for an equal share equivalent to 79.37m. This equates to 158.7m for this year or 634.9m over a 4 year period.

Of course this figure takes no account of how much it costs Sky to run the Satellite operations and so much more. It simply splits Sky's pre-tax income amongst the different providers.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

There are more channels on Astra than those that appear in Sky's EPG. Does Sky charge content providers for the privilege of being listed?

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      There are more channels on Astra than those that appear in Sky's EPG. Does Sky charge content providers for the privilege of being listed?
      https://corporate.sky.com/documents/...price-list.pdf

https://corporate.sky.com/documents/...8-may-2015.pdf

146Kg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Where did Sky Sports come and how much do they pay for the rites to show all that they show ?

If I read this correctly Discovery came 8th behind 5 subscription free channels and Sky Sports didn't make it into the top 18 ?

Playing devils advocate..................cancel Sky sports channels as not enough people watch them and just transmit BBC ITV etc and Sky 1. (Meant as a joke).

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I've just spent a few hours going through the BARB figures for December 2016. I've identified all the different broadcasters/owners and then extracted their respective viewing figures. From this I've compiled the chart below which shows the main broadcasters as a couple of others, but not quite all of them. It makes for interesting reading...
      Nice work.
      Seen quite a few threads on digital spy and tv forum doing similar. None of them agreeing

What was interesting to read was that the Discovery rights for Virgin Media comes up soon too, even though they are part of that group, but that has not helped some other groups around the world.
      The rights for the History channel and Nat Geo which many see as the better of the genre channels are also up for rights on BT, Virgin etc soon (owned by Sky and Fox respectively)

Seems it would actually cost Discovery more to add a subset of their channels to freeview, not that their is currently the space and of course the loss of subscription money and they would lose the revenue form the Sky deal for Quest.

All the HBO content on Sky for reference is 55 million a year for a five year deal.

Sky do a lot of deals with broadcasters based as percentage on advertising revenue.
      They also have a huge advertising group that handles a lot of the advertising in many forms not just linear TV for broadcasters.
      Last edited by lettice; 29-01-17 at 05:24 PM.
      Scubbie likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 146Kg View Post
      Where did Sky Sports come and how much do they pay for the rites to show all that they show ?

If I read this correctly Discovery came 8th behind 5 subscription free channels and Sky Sports didn't make it into the top 18 ?

Playing devils advocate..................cancel Sky sports channels as not enough people watch them and just transmit BBC ITV etc and Sky 1. (Meant as a joke).
      Since Sky Sports are a part of Sky's network, their respective figures are included within Sky. You can get their figures from the links I included above, but collectively it comes to 1.95%. This alone is higher than Discovery's entire collection of channels. (ouch!)

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      Nice work.
      Seen quite a few threads on digital spy and tv forum doing similar. None of them agreeing
      Thank you.

I've kept away from the extremely heated threads elsewhere. You're post showing that Discovery had exactly the same issue with Scandinavia was very enlightening as it shows that they have an attitude issue.

Discovery have also been using Twitter and Facebook to garnish support. A search of the hash tag 'keepdiscovery' on Facebook is full of propoganda connects and pictures.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=%23keepdiscovery

I haven't bothered looking at Twitter as it'll be much the same tripe.

Here's one of the pictures:

Now looking at this evening's listings I see that Eurosport 1 has a really great game on from 18.45. Egypt vs Morocco (Quater finals of the Africa Cup of Nations). Obviously a highly important European match which a lot of native Europeans will be watching. Of course it's worth pointing out that any Moroccans on Egypt will find their visas cancelled tomorrow if Egypt loses. I'm not sure what happens in Morocco but it'll be something similar.

In the mean time SS1 has Altheletics; SS2 has boxing; SS3 Ping Pongl SS4 Gold; SS5 F1 interview, followed by WWE at 7 and SS Mix has World's Toughest Mugger. Eurosport 2 has the Alpine Skiing World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      What was interesting to read was that the Discovery rights for Virgin Media comes up soon too, even though they are part of that group, but that has not helped some other groups around the world.
      The rights for the History channel and Nat Geo which many see as the better of the genre channels are also up for rights on BT, Virgin etc soon (owned by Sky and Fox respectively)

Seems it would actually cost Discovery more to add a subset of their channels to freeview, not that their is currently the space and of course the loss of subscription money and they would lose the revenue form the Sky deal for Quest.

All the HBO content on Sky for reference is 55 million a year for a five year deal.

Sky do a lot of deals with broadcasters based as percentage on advertising revenue.
      They also have a huge advertising group that handles a lot of the advertising in many forms not just linear TV for broadcasters.
      I don't think that Freeview has the spare bandwidth available to add all the Discovery Channels. I do think that thy would have to remain with the Satellite system, so it could be Freesat instead for them.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

AndyMc1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Given that the likelihood is that these channels will go by weds 1st february, is there any way I can use this as leverage to get some money off my subscription ?
      I'm a month into a year long Sky Q package (If I had known that half my viewed channels would disappear then I would have thought twice - Discovery etc was one of the reasons I got sky in the first place!) after being an "out of contract" Sky+ customer for 10 years.

I'm not that bothered about the channels but I'd rather not pay for something I am not getting....

I only noticed last night when watching a documentary and the message came up.

Thanks

Will any downloaded or recorded programmes from these channels still be playable once they are removed from Sky's EPG?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast