Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree7Likes

Discovery & Eurosport channels etc.,

This is a discussion on Discovery & Eurosport channels etc., within the Sky TV Channels forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; If they don't sort this I am probably off. They have demonstrated zero proactive communication to customers (and apparently according ...

Dave_R is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01625
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: BT HomeHub v5
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Discovery & Eurosport channels etc.,

If they don't sort this I am probably off. They have demonstrated zero proactive communication to customers (and apparently according to the anticipated loyalty programme I am super special thanks to over 10 years subs, yeah right...) I don't visit their website on a daily basis and have not noticed any of the alleged banners on programming about this, and no-one can tell me this has all blown up over the last week or whatever, that's just complete incompetence if true.

I've spoken with someone about it and heard the sob story about increased costs. Yeah? well that's us the customer, year in year out. Welcome to our world.

As for the advice about alternate channels, are they serious? They just don't seem to get it that for those that are vexed by this, other channels just won't compensate. How out of touch is that?
      Loyalty programme and no-dish service initiatives? All too late in my book. If they don't sort this out it will cost them many customers, and I think they deserve a bloodied nose.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I realise that Sky's response included things such as pointing out that instead of Eurosport, Sky has several Sports channels, including Sky Sports Mix which is available to all Sky subscribers. This was an obvious attempt to help people rethink what they watch but the truth is that many people will only want to watch a specific sport that may only be available on Eurosport (i.e. Tour de France).

As for the documentaries, as has already been pointed out, the Discovery Channel no longer seems to be the bastion it once was. Many other channels are shown more documentaries and are often better presented(well at least IMHO).

Reality programmes, at least in my personal opinion, are simply rubbish. Forcing people to do things which any sane person would never in their right mind consider. This is of course all just for the camera and audience figures, nothing more.

Some content, such as Mythbusters, I've found fun in the past. I haven't watched it for a long time though.

Of course some series have generated a loyal following, as I've mentioned already. When the Phil Harris, Captain of Cornelia Marie featured in The Deadliest Catch, died, there was quite a lot of public interest.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Sorry to keep correcting you
      Tour de France in UK is provided as live daily coverage on ITV4, S4C and Eurosport until 2019.
      Eurosport does not have sole rights, but shared and is the case for a lot of their sport rights, that is shared with another UK channel.
      Not ever watched as its not a sport Id ever watch.

World Superbikes will be a popular motorsports one that will be affected. British Superbikes, not so as that will be on Quest as well as Eurosport and Quest will probably not be affected.
      Le Mans is on Eurosport, but its been mentioned that non geoblocked coverage online will be provided to the UK and Germany.

Snooker tournaments maybe affected, but the Beeb will probably extend their deals to still share with Eurosport.

The current list that is updated regularly and is current.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports...United_Kingdom
      Last edited by lettice; 27-01-17 at 04:26 PM.
      Scubbie likes this.

146Kg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

I had a moan about them but I for one will miss Fast & Loud, Ice Road Truckers (but not the violins), Moonshiners, Wheeler Dealers, Gold Rush, Deadliest Catch etc etc to the point of downgrading my subscription package.
      If not for Sky 1 and Atlantic I'd consider going back to (shudders) B.T.

Thanks

Sky.com | We Love Discovery Too
      We have something for every customer. Drama, documentaries, entertainment, comedy, sports, movies and more.

We have worked really hard for more than a year to get a deal done for our customers with Discovery, so we are disappointed with their misleading claims and aggressive actions. We now feel itís time to set the record straight. Because despite our differences, we love Discovery too.

We were prepared to pay a fair price for the Discovery and Eurosport channels and invest more in those channels to make them even better for our customers. We have offered hundreds of millions of pounds to Discovery, a $12bn American business, but that wasnít enough. They asked the Sky Group to pay close to £1bn for their portfolio of channels, many of which are in decline.

Sadly, we have now had to prepare for Discovery to take their channels away from Sky customers, as they have threatened to do. It is Discoveryís choice to do this, not ours. We never left the negotiating table and they havenít come back to it since they made their threats public this week.

Sky doesnít boot channels off our platform. If Discovery donít want their channels to disappear, as their public campaign suggests, they could have made arrangement to stay on Sky, including free to air with advertising funding or with their own subscription, but theyíve chosen not to do so.

Our commitment to our customers is this: We will spend every penny that we were going to pay to Discovery on more and better content that our customers value. This will come from sources around the globe and home grown shows and documentaries from the UK. We will continue to offer customers a huge range of content including hundreds of shows from The History Channel, National Geographic, PBS, Sky Arts and Sky Atlantic, along with more amazing sport on Sky Sports Mix, available to all our customers.

We hope our customers understand that we have been working on their behalf and will always do that. We thank them for their support.
      If you have any questions about the changes, you can find more information here: sky.com/channelchanges

Exchange:
      Thanks

If that is true then no gripes with Sky, can't blame them, but I don't want substitutes, I want to watch what I have been watching already.
      I'll have to look into B.T. TV further, along the lines of can you subscribe to their TV without having to suffer their broadband.
      Is Discovery milking B.T. also or are they picking on Sky ?

I just looked on The Discovery site, picture of the Gold Rush characters.........

"If they played football, maybe Sky would love them to".

As I don't watch any soccer I find that very amusing but sadly true. I did get the impression that Sky is too keen to spend too much on sports and that it is having a knock on effect on non sports channels before this Discovery scenario popped up.
      Last edited by 146Kg; 27-01-17 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks

BT Sport caught Sky off guard. They out bid Sky for the rights to various matches in the Premier League. Obviously BT had an axe to grind and I fear that the honey pot has started to run out for them.

Ofcom is now pushing for BTO to be split from BT Plc. I strongly believe that BTO's profits have been used to subsidise ventures such as the takeover of ESPN and setting up BT Sport, along with making the content free to BT Broadband subscribers. They have simply pushed themselves into a corner.

Of course Sky are to blame too. They started pushing the Sky Sports channel when they first launched with various exclusive rights to different sports and football joined their portfolio very quickly. Of course Sky has increased the portfolio considerably since the early days and instead of the single channel for sports coverage, they currently have 8 in both SD and HD. The also have the red button channels for additional material when some particular event are on. All this costs money.

As a subscriber who doesn't take the Sky Sports package, I do object to my subscription fees being used to prop up the Sports costs, but then that's the decision of the board, not mine. At least Sky has improved the movie/cinema content in the last year.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

I take the sports subscription for the NFL and cancel it just before the Superbowl. I used to keep it all year but when Sky dropped NASCAR coverage (around the same time as the soccer was getting expensive for Sky) I stopped doing so.
      If the Discovery/Sky split happens it will be most inconvenient.
      I am in contract with Sky Q I believe, and I don't want to cancel that even if that wasn't the case. I don't want B.T. broadband but can't get their TV without it and even then I'd lose Sky 1 and Atlantic if I did switch.
      Have both or wait until other channels show the older Discovery stuff as happens now seems the only options at the moment. Maybe some other broadcaster will snap up the Discovery channels or it will all blow over.
      lonewisper likes this.

Caley Shaun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Caithness
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I will really miss my Eurosport Tennis coverage it is only channel I get Australian and US Open live matches, thankfully ITV have French Open, BBC have Wimbledon and Davis Cup and Sky Sports have a vast majority of Masters series.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

The Eurosport Player has been reduced in price to only £19.99 for a year, instead of £59.99, until end of January.
      Eurosport Player
      A sneaky marketing ploy.

Quite shocked that Discovery wanted £1 billion for their channels, that is crazy. They are not worth that, even with the limited Eurosport exclusives.

Someone above mentioned Nascar. Your best bet there is to watch on youtube, they have full races delayed and a lot of excellent daily coverage, all free. Premier sports is not worth the sub just for that.
      Mind with all the crazy Nascar changes for this year, it may be a turn off for many.
      With Motors TV now being owned by the Motorsport Network and from the March launch along with going HD, its expected that they will bring forth a lot more motorsport to UK Viewers.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast