Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

am I being ripped off?

This is a discussion on am I being ripped off? within the Sky TV Channels forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hello! I am just about to ring sky as first time ever I am having trouble with my sky - ...

sugarthief1978 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

am I being ripped off?

Hello! I am just about to ring sky as first time ever I am having trouble with my sky - started a couple of weeks ago where a lot of free channels were not getting signal but gradually bit by bit over the last week or so, I can barely get any channels at all so anyway im about to ring them because of this and I thought id have a check over my account to see what I actually am paying for (I never have looked at my online account before - just knew the amount that came out bank every month) I have had sky for about 15 years on and off... I have been at this house for 4.5 years paying what I am now - I have looked online at all their packages and everythings different to when I last signed up to it so im a bit lost! I pay 41.40 a month - this is for variety although it was never called this before but that's what it says on my account plus 10.25 for sky+ HD pack, plus 5 for multiroom - now im looking at their bundles available now and theres the family bundle which gets more than what I have now - for 33 - but theres no mention of paying for the hd pack anymore? have I been paying this needlessly for ages? as over 50 hd channels are included in this bundle? please someone explain to me about it as I want to know what im talking about when I ring up and not sound stupid - im hoping to change it to pay less if I can! Thanks for any help!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: am I being ripped off?

As you do not have movies or sport you are probably wasting money on the HD subscription. This is included in the Family bundle which costs 33 a month, plus 5 for your multiscreen Lite would mean you would be paying 38 a month. The only caveat is if you watch the Formla 1 channel, you would loose this, as it only comes with Sports or the full HD subscription. It also entitles you to box sets which you will get with the Family bundle anyway.

As it stands you are receiving a discount somewhere as the full cost of your package would be 28+10.25+5=43.25, so the full saving of 5 will not be reflected in your new total.

As for loosing channels, check that the dish connections are properly made at the back of the box and no wires are loose.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

sugarthief1978 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

thanks for your reply... ive actually just come off the phone to them - been on phone a fair while as I first got a completely arrogant horrible man who said I had to pay for an engineer to come out - I nicely told him that I don't think I should have to pay anything when whatever is wrong is not from anything I have done - he wouldn't back down and got ruder so I asked him to put me through to cancellations department as I wasn't prepared to pay the charge and would go elsewhere for my tv service. he REFUSED to put me through and started asking me in a really horrible tone, if my mobile phone stopped working and a years warranty had passed, would I expect O2 to fix my phone for free? (bizarre?) anyway, I ended up putting the phone down on him because he was getting quite scary with his horrible manner and I redialled and got a different man (who was lovely!) he bent over backwards to apologise about the previous man - said that as soon as he saw my account he could see I shouldn't be paying that charge for the engineer visit as ive been a customer so long! And to top it off as a goodwill gesture and to apologise about the horrible experience I had with the other man as in his words "theres no excuse for him to have treated me like that" I now have all the movie channels plus the family pack for a fiver less than what I pay now! RESULT!!!

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Wrong guy in the wrong mood on the wrong day.
      It happens everywhere.

Well done for not retaliating & doing the sensible thing by hanging up.
      These calls are monitored / recorded.

Also, great result.
      Sky's call-out charge is 65 & movies is 16.50* per month, so that's quite a 'gesture of goodwill'.

*Not the 38 i originally posted.
      Last edited by gymno; 25-08-14 at 06:44 PM. Reason: pricing error typo nonsense

wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max + Sky Talk
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110UK + SkyQ Booster EE120
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2Tb + mini
      Thanks

Hello Sugarthief1978
      Well done for not losing your temper on the phone with this moron who
      should not be in this position !! talking to customers who are making
      genuine comments regarding the service they receive from sky.
      I must mention that the few problems I have had over 15 years have
      always been dealt with very well by CS staff its just a pity that a few
      rotten eggs spoil the basket.
      Lets hope that as gymno states they are recorded & the person(s) are
      dealt with & removed from that position of dealing with the public.
      Just a Thought........