Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By seandox

Lost terrestrial channels !!

This is a discussion on Lost terrestrial channels !! within the Sky TV Channels forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hello There.... I live in Sweden now and initially had some Sky TV teething problems , got those ironed out.... ...

seandox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Lost terrestrial channels !!

Hello There....
      I live in Sweden now and initially had some Sky TV teething problems , got those ironed out.... Using Sky + HD box..... had all the channels that we subscribe to....but just recently have lost BBC, ITV, 4 & 5..... although can receive ITV 2.....
      Any helpful advice gratefully received.... have just bought a new remote , the problem existed before we purchased it .

Many Thanks in advance

Regards

Seandox

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Lost terrestrial channels !!

Hi Seandox and welcome to the forum.
      If you lost the BBC channels on 6th February then this was when the BBC (and probably the other channels you mentioned) were transferred from satellite Astra 1N to Astra 2E.
      See: BBC - Help Receiving TV and Radio - Astra migration

I know this has caused loss of reception in parts of Spain, Portugal, Italy and the south of France so suspect that Scandinavia may be similarly effected.
      It is possible that a larger dish may help but I would check with others in your area before rushing out and spending money.
      The alternative, if you have a reasonably fast internet connection, is to view these channels online.
      You will probably need to use a VPN or UK proxy as the BBC and ITV domestic services are only intended for viewers in the UK.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I think this has effected a lot of people abroad. The new satellites beam/footprint is focused more sharply on the UK, which means the signal is stronger in the UK but weaker at the edge of the beam. A bigger dish might help but many people have lost the signal completely.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

It's a bit hit and miss for viewers. The new Astra 2E satellite continues to be receivable by many in Spain and Portugal and in some cases on smaller dish sizes. The reason is not that the primary focus is tighter because these people weren't receiving this before. The farther flung viewers were in the first side-lobe of the satellite which isn't as strong as the primary focus spot and has some other properties that are a disadvantage. However when many channels were switched to the new 2E transponders some users found that the 'null' points between the primary and first side-lobe were in different locations. So reception between Barcelona and the French border was very much reduced along with some areas of the Costa del Sol whereas some other areas like Alicante were receiving much stronger signal strength than before the switch to 2E. However signal strength isn't the only criteria and signal quality is very important. In a side-lobe its very advisable to use a high quality LNB which will deal with the characteristics of these signal much better than a budget LNB as typically used by Sky.

Exchange:
      Thanks

To all that replied,Thank you so much for taking the time ......Is there any thing I can do apart from the VPN route ...If I were to purchase the Sky wi fi box would I be able to at least watch those 'lost' channels albeit not live as it were?
      I am probably not the guy to talk to if you are talking technically to....bit of a technophobe !!
      Thanks in advance

SeanDox

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you !

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you ...will try the link you provided for more info.

SeanDox

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Unless you use a VPN the wifi route is unlikely to work as due to licensing issues Sky only allow their channels to be streamed to IP addresses registered in the UK or Ireland.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Seawright... again .. thanks for the response.... I have used a vpn before,,,,, but then got my SKY all up and running.... now that it has changed.. for the worst.... guess I will just have to revert to a VPN..... unless any of you know any different I will try the brodband route and modem thing first,,, fingers crossed... tho not so hopeful !!

Kind Regards

Sean dox
      seawright likes this.