Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Details of Sky Talk

This is a discussion on Details of Sky Talk within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Unlimited UK* calls 24/7 for just 5.00 a month AN EXCLUSIVE DEAL ON PHONE CALLS JUST FOR SKY CUSTOMERS Sky ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Details of Sky Talk

Unlimited UK* calls 24/7 for just 5.00 a month

AN EXCLUSIVE DEAL ON PHONE CALLS JUST FOR SKY CUSTOMERS

Sky Talk is exclusive to Sky TV customers and - just as you'd expect from Sky - is big on value. It gives you unlimited calls to UK* landlines, day or night, weekdays and weekends. Which means you can talk any time and save all the time.

Here's the deal

Unlimited UK* landline calls

All calls to mobiles and international numbers are 5% lower than BT Together Option 1 rate

One simple package at a low cost of only 5 a month

You don't need to change your BT line or number

You simply pay BT for your line rental and Sky for your Sky Talk charges

You can either pre-register for Sky Talk on this site along with Sky Broadband, or if you want to purchase Sky Talk now just call 08702 419 920

You'll save 59.40 a year on monthly fees, compared to BT's equivalent package BT Together Option 3.

* To UK numbers starting with 01 or 02 only (i.e. not to 0844, 0845, 0870, 0871 or mobile or Premium Rate numbers)
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 08-09-06 at 09:25 PM. Reason: added info Heinz sent me
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

2. Advertisement
      Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Unlimited UK* calls 24/7 for just 5.00 a month
      * To UK numbers starting with 01 or 02 only (i.e. not to 0844, 0845, 0870, 0871 or mobile or Premium Rate numbers)
      Last edited by Heinz; 08-09-06 at 09:15 PM.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

thx have added to orignal post :-)
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

neil. is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: caerphilly
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Details of Sky Talk

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      All calls to mobiles and international numbers are 5% lower than BT Together Option 1 rate
      Is there a difference between the rates for BT Together Option 1, 2, and 3? If so how does Option 2 and 3 compare to SkyTalk?

P.S.
      I'm mainly intrested in the mobile rates, I don't make any international calls.

beethoven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRWAL (LLU since Oct06)
      Broadband ISP: connect billed as 17 - 12 = 5
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

sky talk on the new 26 deal "surf speak see" is only weekends and evening though. Both packages as NR desribes, and the 26 exclude mobys nongeographical (0845etc), channel islands and premium rates.
      Living in an ntl cabled area we have had the new deal leaflets through the door and ads in the papers.

Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neil. View Post
      Is there a difference between the rates for BT Together Option 1, 2, and 3? If so how does Option 2 and 3 compare to SkyTalk?

P.S. I'm mainly intrested in the mobile rates, I don't make any international calls.
      Surely, nobody uses BT to call mobiles?

Everyone I know routinely uses either 18185 (5p connection and 6p/minute weekdays [2p/minute weekends]) or consults the MSE UK Callchecker to select a cheap 0844 or 0871 gateway provider for their calls to UK mobiles.
      Last edited by Heinz; 18-01-07 at 08:57 PM.

neil. is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: caerphilly
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

thanks for the info Heinz I had no idea you could do that

bewin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Laindon
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
      Surely, nobody uses BT to call mobiles?

Everyone I know routinely uses either 18185 (5p connection and 6p/minute weekdays [2p/minute weekends]) or consults the MSE UK Callchecker to select a cheap 0844 or 0871 gateway provider for their calls to UK mobiles.
      Does Sky Talk allow the use of 18185 and Phone Cheap? I currently use both on BT with no problems.

18185 - Welcome to 18185.co.uk: UK's Leading Telephone Discounter
      Phone Cheap - PhoneCheap! Stop wasting money on international calls

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bewin View Post
      Does Sky Talk allow the use of 18185 and Phone Cheap? I currently use both on BT with no problems.

18185 - Welcome to 18185.co.uk: UK's Leading Telephone Discounter
      Phone Cheap - PhoneCheap! Stop wasting money on international calls
      Yes, both Sky Talk packages are CPS (Carrier PreSelect) packages - which means that, although users still have a BT landline and their incoming calls still arrive on BT (so Caller Display, 1471* and 1571* work normally), they will have opted to have the BT exchange programmed so that, by default, (nearly) all their outgoing calls are sent via the CPS provider (and BT don't even 'see' the calls even though they carry the first leg).

The 'default' part of that sentence is the key to CPS. It means that, if users want to, they can use a prefix to send an individual call via another provider (i.e. override the CPS programming for a single call). For example, using just a 1280 prefix will send that call out via BT, using just a 18185 prefix (not 128018185) will send that call out via www.18185.co.uk and so on.

In other words, CPS still allows users to pick the best carrier for their calls even though they've opted, normally, to use one provider (in my case, Primus Saver Option 2 CPS because of the free evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls).

So, for those with a BT line, CPS has the advantage of allowing the line rental to be left with BT (now 10.75 per month if you pay by Direct Debit and opt for online only billing) - leaving 'all options open' for making your calls. In other words, the use of 1899, 18185 etc. will remain possible because BT are obliged to allow it (unlike other firms now providing either LLU or WLR landline rental - some of which can, and do, bar such access).

Although I'm on Primus Saver Option 2 CPS and use them for the free evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls, I use 18185 (5p per call regardless of duration) for my weekday daytime UK 01/02 calls - as I do for my calls to Spain (5p connection and 1p per minute at any time).

For my 0844 and 0871 calls, I use a 1280 prefix to 'hop back onto' BT (because I know the call charges will be in a accordance with BT's published price list for such numbers).

Similarly, for 0845 and 0870 calls, I usually just use the 1280 prefix but, if I can be bothered, I check HERE to establish whether 18185 is cheaper at a particular time/day.

* If you dial 3 after checking who called on 1471 or dial 0 after checking a 1571 message (because that nice BT lady's voice invites you to and it seems like the easy way to return the call), BT charge 7p regardless of whether the call is connected or not. Additionally, you have to pay BT prices for the call because such 'returned calls' do not route via your CPS provider but are sent via BT.
      Last edited by Heinz; 25-01-07 at 03:36 PM.

bewin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Laindon
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
      Yes, both Sky Talk packages are CPS (Carrier PreSelect) packages - which means that, although users still have a BT landline and their incoming calls still arrive on BT (so Caller Display, 1471* and 1571* work normally), they will have opted to have the BT exchange programmed so that, by default, (nearly) all their outgoing calls are sent via the CPS provider (and BT don't even 'see' the calls even though they carry the first leg).

The 'default' part of that sentence is the key to CPS. It means that, if users want to, they can use a prefix to send an individual call via another provider (i.e. override the CPS programming for a single call). For example, using just a 1280 prefix will send that call out via BT, using just a 18185 prefix (not 128018185) will send that call out via www.18185.co.uk and so on.

In other words, CPS still allows users to pick the best carrier for their calls even though they've opted, normally, to use one provider (in my case, Primus Saver Option 2 CPS because of the free evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls).

So, for those with a BT line, CPS has the advantage of allowing the line rental to be left with BT (now 10.75 per month if you pay by Direct Debit and opt for online only billing) - leaving 'all options open' for making your calls. In other words, the use of 1899, 18185 etc. will remain possible because BT are obliged to allow it (unlike other firms now providing either LLU or WLR landline rental - some of which can, and do, bar such access).

Although I'm on Primus Saver Option 2 CPS and use them for the free evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls, I use 18185 (5p per call regardless of duration) for my weekday daytime UK 01/02 calls - as I do for my calls to Spain (5p connection and 1p per minute at any time).

For my 0844 and 0871 calls, I use a 1280 prefix to 'hop back onto' BT (because I know the call charges will be in a accordance with BT's published price list for such numbers).

Similarly, for 0845 and 0870 calls, I usually just use the 1280 prefix but, if I can be bothered, I check HERE to establish whether 18185 is cheaper at a particular time/day.

* If you dial 3 after checking who called on 1471 or dial 0 after checking a 1571 message (because that nice BT lady's voice invites you to and it seems like the easy way to return the call), BT charge 7p regardless of whether the call is connected or not. Additionally, you have to pay BT prices for the call because such 'returned calls' do not route via your CPS provider but are sent via BT.
      Thanks for the reply .... I'm not a Sky customer presently but I'm thinking about signing up for the latest Sky offer -'Surf, Speak, See' at 26 per month.

Does the included Sky Talk Freetime package allow CPS as you describe?

I use 18185 for daytime calls in the UK and Phone Cheap for calls to USA, Spain and France at anytime by dialling 08448613838 + phone number - can I continue to do this with the Sky Freetime package?

Will I have to dial 1280 as you decribed for Phone Cheap - 1280 08449613838 + 0012024561414 (USA) or another prefix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast