Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Details of Sky Talk

This is a discussion on Details of Sky Talk within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Originally Posted by bewin Thanks for the reply .... I'm not a Sky customer presently but I'm thinking about signing ...

Heinz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAELC
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Entertainment+
      Thanks

Re: Details of Sky Talk

Quote Originally Posted by bewin View Post
      Thanks for the reply .... I'm not a Sky customer presently but I'm thinking about signing up for the latest Sky offer -'Surf, Speak, See' at 26 per month.

Does the included Sky Talk Freetime package allow CPS as you describe?

I use 18185 for daytime calls in the UK and Phone Cheap for calls to USA, Spain and France at anytime by dialling 08448613838 + phone number - can I continue to do this with the Sky Freetime package?

Will I have to dial 1280 as you described for Phone Cheap - 1280 08449613838 + 0012024561414 (USA) or another prefix
      Yes, Sky Talk Freetime is a CPS package (so you'll keep your BT line and continue paying BT for the line rental).

You will be able to continue using 18185 as you do now.

The only real change (apart, obviously, from free evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls) will be the need to use a 1280 prefix (exactly as you describe - 1280 08449613838 then 001xxxXXXxxxx) when you want to route a call via BT either because they're cheaper or because, by doing so, you're certain of the cost of calling the 0844 number you're dialling.

BTW, 18185 charge 1p/minute to Spain and USA and p/minute to France so you're saving nothing using Phonecheap for the first 2 and are actually paying double to call France (see HERE).
      Last edited by Heinz; 25-01-07 at 04:53 PM.
      Want to save on your phone costs? Click HERE then.

2. Advertisement
      sc0tsman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: livingston
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

All calls to mobiles are 25% cheaper than BT option 1 m8

Unlimited UK* landline calls

All calls to mobiles 5% lower than BT Together Option 1 rate

CYMRAES is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

As someone who is about to take the plunge and join sky broadband - upgrading my sky package, I notice online that the only option is sky talk (evenings/weekends) and not talk anytime, so if I took this option will I be able to upgrade to sky talk anytime, say after a few months?

I am currently on sky tv (2 mix) and if I upgrade to tv 6 mix, broadband mid package and sky talk free, it comes to 26 a month. At present I am on NTL FREEDOM broadband/talk anytime (not cable) 24.99 a month and although I am at home all day (making occasional calls during the day) I was wondering whether to take the sky talk for a few weeks to see what my phone bill is after making a few calls during the day and see if it is worth going sky talk anytime for the extra 5??

I hope that makes sense to someone out there!

Broadband ISP: Not on Sky - only the (expensive) 'connect' available in my area.
      Thanks

My daughter 'upgraded' to STU when she signed up. 5 extra per month.

Great when you've got 3 teenage girls.

CYMRAES is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Ha ha! Well I live alone so I can't blame anyone else for the phone bill! So from what I understand, if I took on sky talk I could upgrade to STA any time in the future? THank you for that Heinz.

NickS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Seethelight FTTH
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
      Yes, Sky Talk Freetime is a CPS package (so you'll keep your BT line and continue paying BT for the line rental).

You will be able to continue using 18185 as you do now.

The only real change (apart, obviously, from free evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls) will be the need to use a 1280 prefix (exactly as you describe - 1280 08449613838 then 001xxxXXXxxxx) when you want to route a call via BT either because they're cheaper or because, by doing so, you're certain of the cost of calling the 0844 number you're dialling.

BTW, 18185 charge 1p/minute to Spain and USA and p/minute to France so you're saving nothing using Phonecheap for the first 2 and are actually paying double to call France (see HERE).
      Sky talk unlimited for 5/month also includes unlimited international landline calls to US, Ireland, Spain, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, New Zealand, Italy and Netherlands, so it's a case of working out if your cheaper off with Sky or 18185.

surfsup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitchurch
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

"....the use of 1899, 18185 etc. will remain possible because BT are obliged to allow it (unlike other firms now providing either LLU or WLR landline rental - some of which can, and do, bar such access)."

Heinz: Do you (or anyone else) have evidence that Sky is, indeed, blocking access to 18185 etc?
      (There's no direct refererence to it in their t&c's and one line rental customer of theirs that I asked said he could still use 18185.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by surfsup View Post
      "....the use of 1899, 18185 etc. will remain possible because BT are obliged to allow it (unlike other firms now providing either LLU or WLR landline rental - some of which can, and do, bar such access)."

Heinz: Do you (or anyone else) have evidence that Sky is, indeed, blocking access to 18185 etc?
      (There's no direct refererence to it in their t&c's and one line rental customer of theirs that I asked said he could still use 18185.)
      No, but a lifetime of cynicism just makes me wonder when (not if) they'll do so (like Talk Talk etc. have done) when the numbers on their line rental allow them get away with it.

IMHO, the outrageous hikes in the cost of 0845/0870 calls from 1 July 2008 is an indicator of their hidden agenda.

surfsup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitchurch
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
      No, but a lifetime of cynicism just makes me wonder when (not if) they'll do so (like Talk Talk etc. have done) when the numbers on their line rental allow them get away with it.

IMHO, the outrageous hikes in the cost of 0845/0870 calls from 1 July 2008 is an indicator of their hidden agenda.
      I tend to agree with your cynicism, Heinz, but on the other hand, Sky have just offered me a half price (5 quid a month) line rental deal for the first six months if I switch it to them. Obviously, that's a significant saving compared to staying with BT (who, of course, are offering me nothing!) So my question is, what would be the cost to me if, when those 6 months are up (by which time 18185 etc. may, indeed, be unavailable to me) I decide that I want to return to renting the line from BT?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12