Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Andrew1961

No Dial Tone after Broadband Upgrade

This is a discussion on No Dial Tone after Broadband Upgrade within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I wonder if anyone can explain fibre broadband connectivity in relation to the telephony side of Sky's service, please? I ...

Andrew1961 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky ???
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

No Dial Tone after Broadband Upgrade

I wonder if anyone can explain fibre broadband connectivity in relation to the telephony side of Sky's service, please?

I was upgraded to Sky Superfast Broadband from Sky standard FTTC broadband. At the same time as this was implemented, I lost my dial tone although I could hear a clicking sound on my phone. I reported this to Sky who diagnosed an external fault and passed it to OpenReach. On the same day I reported it, the clicking sound went off and there is now absolute silence on the phone.

What I would like to know is, is there anything physically done when upgrading to Sky Superfast Broadband or is it done in software? If it is software, then it might just be a coincidence that Sky Talk stopped working at the same time as the upgrade. If it's a physical change, then I suspect that although the broadband service is connected in the cabinet, the telephone service back to the local exchange hasn't been connected. The broadband is working perfectly.

I've tried different phones plugged into the master socket and plugged directly into the voice port on the router (just in case), but none of that has solved the issue.

An OpenReach operative came today but apparently "didn't have the skills" to fix the problem. I asked if there was dial tone at the cabinet, but he commented "I don't need to check that". I'm wondering why he wouldn't check there to determine whether the fault is towards my house or back towards the exchange. If it is towards my house, the broadband is working incredibly well on a faulty pair of copper wires.

Any answers, comments or suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

2. Advertisement
      coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: opnSense-I78550-Fanless
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Re: No Dial Tone after Broadband Upgrade

Just another poor bugger trapped at the mercy of OR, even Sky struggle to get them to do anything. I've had intermittent fault on my line for over 8 years, won't do anything. Until we get true competition it will never change. Doesn't help you I know but good luck. Don't be tempted to fiddle, turn that router off enough times on the trot and your speed will drop, just keep on at Sky. Peserverence is your primary weapon here.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

What happens if you call your home number from a mobile?
      Does the phone ring?
      If not what tone do you hear on the mobile, ringing, engaged, number unobtainable, special information tone (three notes of rising pitch repeated), or does the call go straight to voicemail?
      If engaged unplug your phone and any extensions and call again to see if you get the same result.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry seawright, I've only just seen your reply. It's fixed now, but to answer your question - ring tone and then to voicemail. Line tested "dis".

The fault was where I assumed it would be. The phone and broadband do combine in the cabinet and whoever had swithced the broadband over hadn't reconnected the phone service from the E side in the cab. A really simple fault to diagnose and fix. The OpenReach engineer who eventaully fixed it took less than 30 mins to diagnose and fix the problem.

10 years working as a Subs App & Line Mtce Engineer for Post Office Telecommunications and British Telecom certainly pointed me in the right direction - although that was way before broadband was introduced in the UK. That's why I was uncertain as to what happens during the broadband upgrade and where the two services combine.

Now to see if Sky will pay its Automatic Compensation (and fix the problems with the new Sky Q box that was installed last week).

Exchange:
      Thanks

If anyone is interested, Sky has paid the Automatic Compensation. It wasn't quite automatic though, it took a couple of phone calls.
      seawright likes this.