Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Talk Shield

This is a discussion on Sky Talk Shield within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Oh well so much for that. After reading a post on here about the new all singing and dancing Sky ...

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Sky Talk Shield

Oh well so much for that. After reading a post on here about the new all singing and dancing Sky Shield I decided to try it. I have been paying four pounds a month for a long time to stop callers that withhold their numbers. That, to be honest, has been pretty pathetic as far as foreign scammers are concerned. As I have posted previously I have a phone that has BT call Screening on it and that to an extent has been fairly successful. I still get "unavailable" calls registered on my phone though. I have no idea what these calls are and they do not get past the BT Call Screening robot but I still have to delete the entry. I was hoping that Sky Talk Shield would block these numbers but nnnaaaaa not a chance. Oh well at least Sky Talk Shield is free even though it doesn't actually work fully so I am saving my £4 a month so I suppose that is a result of sorts.

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Talk Shield

I am a bit puzzled! My Mum has Sky Talk Shield and if enabled it appears to invited the caller to say there name which it records. Itís then says please hold whilst we try to connect you. It then rings my Mums phone and plays the recording of the caller and says do you want to add to blocked list or add to friends list by pressing either hash or star. Mum says since having it she gets zero nusance calls. I guess because the robot calls cannot handle talking to another robot and sales people canít be arsed to wait for the call to be authorised. Once a number is added to the Ok list from then on it will get through straight away.
      Hope this helps!
      Kev.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      I am a bit puzzled! My Mum has Sky Talk Shield and if enabled it appears to invited the caller to say there name which it records. It’s then says please hold whilst we try to connect you. It then rings my Mums phone and plays the recording of the caller and says do you want to add to blocked list or add to friends list by pressing either hash or star. Mum says since having it she gets zero nusance calls. I guess because the robot calls cannot handle talking to another robot and sales people can’t be arsed to wait for the call to be authorised. Once a number is added to the Ok list from then on it will get through straight away.
      Hope this helps!
      Kev.
      Nope sorry. that is exactly what the BT call guard thing does. It does stop the calls but I still get this "unavailable" entry coming up. If a number is registered then I can either block it, which I do with all numbers that I do not recognise, or if the caller does talk to the robot I either pass it or block it. But these "unavailable" calls whilst they don't actually get through to me are still registerd and because they are listed as "unavailable" I am unable to block them. It's only a slight nuisance in the grand scheme of things but it is a bit frustrating. Someone will pop up no doubt and tell me that they are foreign numbers and cannot be blocked but that's rubbish. They could be blocked IF the providers had the wherewithall to do it but for some unknown reason they wont. But, as I said, I am at least saving my four quid a month and that isn't going into Sky's pocket now.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

Sounds like there is something wrong with your Sky Talk shield.
      Those calls should not be getting through.
      Check Mysky that both your sky talk shield options are on. Also check your call history list to see that is is blocking numbers.
      If not, you need to report it to sky as there is something wrong with your Sky Talk and Sky Talk Shield setup.

Thanks

I think the problem is that it isn't a number as such, or at least not recognised as a genuine number. It is also, probably, from foreign climes and all the providers who claim to block nuisance numbers trot the excuse out ad infinitum (ye gods and little fishes, where on earth did that come from) that they can't block these numbers. Anyway as I have said nothing has changed except that I am not putting four quid a month into Sky's pocket for something else that never worked and that is a result for me.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think you have answered your own query. It is impossible to block a number that is not recognised as such, but these calls should not get as far as your phone. Since I enabled the Shield I have not had one nuisance call. As I have said before I miss my weekly joust with 'Microsft' experts telling me I have a virus. Its a bit of a chore at first until you get all your regular callers registered, but it is worth it. The service is free for phone and broadband customers.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

wizard200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gatwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max + Sky Talk
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110UK + SkyQ Booster EE120
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2Tb + mini
      Thanks

Hello pete. i.
      I am sure that lettice is correct that your Sky shield is not 'setup' correctly I have had the shield
      since the beginning & it has Worked great I was plagued by nuisance calls & scammers every day
      I even got to the point of turning off My answerphone because of these calls & was at the point
      of obtaining a New Phone with BT shield from Amazon when Sky launched talk shield.
      Since then I have No nuisance calls at all. So give Sky a ring & check through your setup......

Plus you have the 'Bonus' that its 'Free' with Sky Talk...........
      !!!! Just a Thought................Time for a Beer.......
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky Talk Shield-images-6-.jpg  

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

There is a danger with services like this. Some legitimate callers withhold their number as a matter of routine. Typically these may be local authority or medical contacts, but there are others.

By all means block everyoe who withholds their number if you wish, but you could end up missing important calls.

Some callers I get claim to be from certain important people, but I simply play devils advocate. I want proof it's them calling me. It's great fun because no one seems to think it important to set up a password with you to ensure that it is they who are calling you, not someone else.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms