Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Dialtone changes from normal to high pitched tone after keying in first number

This is a discussion on Dialtone changes from normal to high pitched tone after keying in first number within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, I have this problem three times in the last year. I have a normal Dialling tone but as soon ...

steveharvey2001 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01905
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Dialtone changes from normal to high pitched tone after keying in first number

Hi,
      I have this problem three times in the last year.

I have a normal Dialling tone but as soon as I press a number button it changes to a high pitched tone - similar to the "number unobtainable" tone. Incoming calls ring, but I get the same tone as soon as I pick up (and the caller gets disconnected).

The first time this happened earlier this year, the fault cleared shortly after calling Sky customer services, but they told me that they could not find any fault.

The second time this happened, the fault cleared itself within a week, and a few days later, an Openreach engineer called to the house and was unable to detect any issue (because it apparently had corrected itself).

Last week it happened again and I called customer services at the weekend who talked me through all of usual faceplate & master socket bypassing routine, and then insisted that I need to pay 65 for another openreach engineer callout.

This time the fault cleared 48 hours later which I am assuming is down to the intermittency of the fault, so I have cancelled the Openreach call.

I have fibre internet from Sky, and have never had any problem with availability or speed, so I am sure it must be a problem with the copper voice circuit between the cabinet and the exchange ..

Has anyone else had anything like this happen ??
      Last edited by steveharvey2001; 23-10-17 at 02:48 PM.
      -------------------------------------------------------------
      "How can one little insulated wire bring so much happiness?!"
      Homer J Simpson

2. Advertisement
      Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Dialtone changes from normal to high pitched tone after keying in first number

Have you tried a different handset? If it's not that it sounds more like an equipment fault at the exchange rather than cabling to me, cabling would give you a crackly noisey line or no dial tone. A high pitched tone is probably being generated by the exchange! For what reason I don't know.

steveharvey2001 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01905
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Dialtone changes from normal to high pitched tone after keying in first number

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      Have you tried a different handset? If it's not that it sounds more like an equipment fault at the exchange rather than cabling to me, cabling would give you a crackly noisey line or no dial tone. A high pitched tone is probably being generated by the exchange! For what reason I don't know.
      Yes I have tried different equipment each time and I get no difference

Next time it happens, I will record it and post in on YouTube with a link from here.
      -------------------------------------------------------------
      "How can one little insulated wire bring so much happiness?!"
      Homer J Simpson