Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree2Likes
    • 1 Post By seawright
    • 1 Post By seawright

Sky Talk Shield

This is a discussion on Sky Talk Shield within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I've just tried to activate Sky Talk Shield on my Aunts phone, she has Sky phone and broadband and receives ...

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Talk Shield

I've just tried to activate Sky Talk Shield on my Aunts phone, she has Sky phone and broadband and receives a combined itemised bill from Sky, but when I tried to order on line, it said 'cannot complete order please call Sky' So I did! They said she cannot have Sky Talk Shield because she is actually connected to BT equipment in the exchange! So I said 'Is my aunt on the old Sky Connect product' they says no she isn't, so now I am confused! The exchange was LLU enabled in 2005 and she joined Sky in about 2009, so why would she be connected to BT equipment? She has broadband Shield??
      Any ideas
      Cheers,
      Kev.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Talk Shield

Check the telephone number on BTs DSL checker. If the number is recognised her line is a Shared Metallic Path Facility (SMPF). The telephone service will be provided to Sky by BT Wholesale and the broadband {ADSL) service will be provided by Sky. When the exchange was unbundled she should have been given the option to change to SVBN or retain wholesale line rental from BT. Many people chose not to transfer as (at the time) it made switching service providers so much easier.
      speedyrite likes this.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply! I've checked her number and it does come up on the BT checker, so I guess there right! weird because I think I'm on SMPF but I still pay my phone bill to BT and broadband bill to Sky, but both her bills are paid to Sky.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You're probably both on SMPF but your aunt pays Sky who in turn buys the telephone service from BT at wholesale rates.

I was wrong in my original reply when I said BT Wholesale. It is actually Openreach now, one of the changes made to ensure that no communications service provider has an unfair advantage.
      speedyrite likes this.