Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By pete.i

Tempted in new ISP but can I leave calls with sky talk

This is a discussion on Tempted in new ISP but can I leave calls with sky talk within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi All, I have been on broadband unlimited for a number of years and on the whole quite pleased with ...

Brad65 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wakering
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Tempted in new ISP but can I leave calls with sky talk

Hi All,

I have been on broadband unlimited for a number of years and on the whole quite pleased with it, although I really don't like the supplied router!

I have been tempted by fibre, especially as my speed of late has been slowing down and I noticed Plus net had an up-to-76MB service on a line only basis and as they also let you use your own router, i was very tempted.

My current phone line is with BT, to whom I pay the rental, but the calls are on the sky talk. It works.
      Anyway, I used the "chat" facility to ask a plusnet representative whether i could give them the line and the internet, but continue with sky for the billing of calls.
      Plus net version of line only is that calls will be chargeable as there is no plan.
      He was rather confused by this and after lots of exchanges he thinks it can't be done.
      What I am asking for is a second opinion, as I have had some very useful information from this forum in the past. Is there not an override that can direct calls to sky?

Regards

Brad

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Tempted in new ISP but can I leave calls with sky talk

I doubt it very much. For some time now all the major ISPs have insisted that you take their line rental and call packages.

To be fair when Sky first introduced this policy I was quietly happy for improved customer service. Preciously when an issue would crop up the poor customer would be bounced from one call centre to another with each denying responsibility. We tended to have to identify the cause and give them the ammunition to speak with the correct provider. More often than not the issue was a broken line or short and this was always the call provider's responsibility.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Brad65 (31-08-16)

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

If you switch to Plusnet but don't like the cost of their calls you might consider a voip solution.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

Brad65 (31-08-16)

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I doubt it very much. For some time now all the major ISPs have insisted that you take their line rental and call packages.

To be fair when Sky first introduced this policy I was quietly happy for improved customer service. Preciously when an issue would crop up the poor customer would be bounced from one call centre to another with each denying responsibility. We tended to have to identify the cause and give them the ammunition to speak with the correct provider. More often than not the issue was a broken line or short and this was always the call provider's responsibility.
      This is a huge problem IMO. I do voluntary work for the RNIB and I am part of their Technology team. I recently had cause to visit a customer who had BT line rental but Plusnet was their ISP. Her internet speeds were absysmaly slow and, in fact, were totally unworkable for the program she was using (Dolphin Guide). I diagnosed a faulty external line but couldn't prove it one way or the other really. I had taken a different router to her house and my laptop and her speeds still showed as being unusable. Both Plusnet techs and BT techs agreed that her speed was slow and well below the accepted minimum but they both denied that there was anything wrong with their equipment. This happened three or four months ago. In the end after 5 visits I had to give up and as far as I know the lady in question still hasn't had her broadband fixed.

My internet is supplied by Sky and My line rental is with Sky and, so far, I have not had any problems with my internet connection, apart from the absolutely rubbish SR101 and 102, so I have had no need to call on Sky's techs. But my advice is that if you are contemplating changing your ISP provider change your line rental and internet access to the same provider. That way they cannot bandy you back and forth between each other.
      Scubbie likes this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pete.i For This Useful Post:

Brad65 (31-08-16)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

pete.i : We are in agreement then.

Splitting your line rental and/or call services with a different provider looks sensible on paper when looking at the figures or T&Cs, but in practise, it's a nightmare when things go wrong.

Since Sky made it policy for all new customers, with the exception of O2 & Be migrated customers, everyone joining Sky has had to take their line rental & call service (Sky Talk). The amount of issues which we previously handled on this forum relating to multiple providers dropped significantly to the point where now we don't see them on the forum.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Brad65 (31-08-16)