Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Nuisance and Unwanted Calls

This is a discussion on Nuisance and Unwanted Calls within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Apparently there is a new scam which has developed over in the US and the authorities are worried that it ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Nuisance and Unwanted Calls

Apparently there is a new scam which has developed over in the US and the authorities are worried that it could make it's way over here soon.

Essentially someone calls your number, asks the question "Can you hear me?", to which the obvious response is "Yes". They record that and stick it is a fake recording to show that you've agreed to a contract.

‘Can you hear me?’ Scam has Police Warning People to Hang up Immediately | WNEP.com
      NORFOLK, Va. – 'Can you hear me?' It is a simple question, but police say answering it could make you the victim of a scam.

Police in Virginia are now warning about the scam, which has also been recently reported in Florida, and, in 2016, in Pennsylvania.

“Anytime you become victim to a crime, you just feel violated,” said Officer Jo Ann Hughes with the Norfolk Police Department.

Here’s how it works – police say you’ll receive a phone call from a number you do not know.

“Usually it has a familiar area code,” Hughes told WTKR, making the potential victim more likely to answer the call.

Police say after you answer the phone, a person – or automated recording – on the other end of the line introduces themselves and their business.

“That kind of warms you up,” Hughes said.

After the introduction comes the question, "Can you hear me?"

“All of us, our natural response is to say, 'Yes,' or 'Sure,' or 'Yes I can,'” said Hughes, but she says this is exactly what you do not want to do.

Police say scammers record your ‘yes’ response. In one variation of the scam documented by the Better Business Bureau in October, 2016, the criminals may pretend to be from a cruise line or home security company and will later bill you for products or services you never asked for.

If you try to deny the charges, the scammers will playback your verbal confirmation ‘yes’ and threaten to take legal action if you don’t pay.

In another variation, scammers may use the recording to authorize charges on a stolen credit card or with a utility company by tricking an automated system, according to CBS News. The con artists may have already stolen other personal information through a data breach that would allow them to pass the security checks.

“A lot of times, victims do not want to come forward because they are embarrassed. They feel like, ‘It was my fault. I should have known better,’ and they are just embarrassed by it all together. So we do not get a whole lot of reports, unfortunately,” said Hughes.

Police say to avoid this scam, follow this advice:

1. Do not answer the phone from numbers you do not recognize,
      2. Do not give out personal information,
      3. Do not confirm your number over the phone,
      4. Do not answer questions over the phone.

And finally this piece of advice: hang up the phone and call 911 instead.

“We really want people to hear this,” said Hughes. “[We want people to] say, ‘Look, I just heard about this scam on TV,’…and to hang up.”
      Comment: My highlighting.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Superfast + Boost
      Router: Sky Broadband Hub SR203
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tbV2+mini
      Thanks

As Trump would say ' Fake news'.
      Sky the other day mentioned there were no known attempts or cases of this happening.
      That would never stand up in a court of law.
      They would need a lot of personal information prior and also to be agreed on that call to be able to bill you anyway.

As for landlines, just glad we no longer have to suffer any of the pain anymore.
      Not sure why there is no standard scam blocking on landlines as default, like the mobile and voip services do. But then BT would not make any money form these scammers calls

Thanks

As much as it would be nice to say fake news, I believe that the possibility of such threats is there.

Sure it wouldn't hold up well in court, especially if there were dozens of such cases, but a vulnerable person could easily be conned out of their money.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

SadBloke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I'm sure the police would love people calling 999 to report nuisance calls. I think they have more urgent things to do.

I go with Fake News / Urban Myth too.

Thanks

Unless the call is threatening violence I would suspect that even the more serious calls should only be regarded as suitable for a 101 call.

Of course the correct process, under normal circumstances such complaints should be placed through Ofcom.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-tele...s-and-messages

BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

I had to go ex-directory and change my number because we were getting persistent calls from a stalker.
      That was reported to the police as well who found somebody stalking my wife and prosecuted him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BurnIT View Post
      I had to go ex-directory and change my number because we were getting persistent calls from a stalker.
      That was reported to the police as well who found somebody stalking my wife and prosecuted him.
      I'm glad that the person was caught. No doubt it caused a lot of stress whilst it was going on.

BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Yes it is a great relief that it is over for a few years at least. Whilst she is capable of looking after herself - being a red-headed farmer's daughter - it was when our kids were little and I was working away a lot and I felt guilty enough about that without the extra hastle.

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Just been on the phone with Sky to re-negotiate my Fibre Max package (as BT currently have an offer where they are offering upto76 mbps fibre for the same price as standard fibre). Got £7.50 a month knocked off anyway......the agent did confirm that Sky are about the launch their own call protect service very soon.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to James_Mitchell For This Useful Post:

speedyrite (18-05-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by James_Mitchell View Post
      ...the agent did confirm that Sky are about the launch their own call protect service very soon.
      I wouldn't say it was imminent, but it is something I've heard is in the wind

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

speedyrite (18-05-17)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast