Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

0845 & 0870 from July

This is a discussion on 0845 & 0870 from July within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I recently removed my 1571 voicemail service & in the confirmation email from sky was this: From 01 July 2015, ...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

0845 & 0870 from July

I recently removed my 1571 voicemail service & in the confirmation email from sky was this:

From 01 July 2015, the cost for calling non geographic numbers starting 084, 087, 118 or 09 will change.
      The cost will consist of two parts, an 'access charge' which goes to your phone company for connecting the call to the service you want, and a 'service charge' which is set by the organisation or service you are calling.
      The access charge for calls made from a Sky Talk landline will be 9.5 pence per minute from 01 July 2015.
      For more information about call charges please visit here
      The link is to the sky talk tariff guide which hasn't updated to include changes from July, so i'm left wondering if 0845 & 0870 will still be free with my 'anytime uk' tariff.

Also, further down the email is this:

If you take Sky Broadband Lite, Sky Broadband Unlimited or Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro without Sky Talk an additional 5 monthly charge applies.
      Which i thought they'd stopped enforcing a long time ago.
      So not the best communication i've ever had.

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: 0845 & 0870 from July

They still charge 5 a month if you have those broadband products without Sky Talk but I think they stopped the 2.50 one if you took broadband and talk without Sky TV.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      They still charge 5 a month if you have those broadband products without Sky Talk but I think they stopped the 2.50 one if you took broadband and talk without Sky TV.
      Hmm i keep reading different things about this.

Like they stopped both supplements last year but only for new customers.
      Or that a new contract will be subject to the new terms, so supplements won't apply.
      Or that existing customers can't start a new contract - only a new minimum term re-contract, so supplements will continue to apply.

I wish sky would make it clear & put something official on the website at least, including call charges from July.
      If they do go up & i want to cancel sky talk, then presumably i'll have to give 30 days notice.
      But there's only 20 days left in this month to find out before i'll be affected by any price changes.

Then if i do cancel they'll cut their nose off to spite their face by increasing my broadband sub by 5 because i'll cancel that too.
      Or is it that all isp's now insist on taking their phone package with broadband thus making that a moot point?

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Right, i've just phoned them.

1) The 2.50 supplement for not having sky tv is no more.
      Anyone still paying it just needs to call sky to arrange new terms, as they're not allowed to without the account holders' consent.

2) The 5.00 supplement for not having sky talk is no more.
      A sky broadband customer simply cannot cancel sky talk separately - only broadband or talk & broadband at the same time.

3) Any changes to sky talk occurring on 1st july will have no effect on whether a call is classed as inclusive or not.
      So if 0845 and / or 0870 are free currently, they will remain so.
      Last edited by gymno; 11-05-15 at 01:12 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

2) The 5.00 supplement for not having sky talk is no more.
      But as a new customer you can't get broadband without Talk rental. I would be surprised if they have removed the surcharge for not having Talk rental as it means there is no longer any incentive for anyone on a legacy, BT Phone/Sky broadband, to take Sky rental.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      But as a new customer you can't get broadband without Talk rental.
      Exactly, yet the email i received said this:
      If you take Sky Broadband Lite, Sky Broadband Unlimited or Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro without Sky Talk an additional 5 monthly charge applies.
      Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I would be surprised if they have removed the surcharge for not having Talk rental as it means there is no longer any incentive for anyone on a legacy, BT Phone/Sky broadband, to take Sky rental.
      TBH i did have the same thought initially but the lady i spoke to was quite clear about it.
      Maybe it caught out a lot of ex o2/be customers after their first year & like with the rule on third party routers, sky decided to just drop it for everyone?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

It is rather strange. If you decide to leave Sky Talk rental, your broadband is automatically cancelled. There is a discrepancy somewhere in their rules they had better sort out.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Well although the lady was very good & obviously knowledgeable, fwiw i'm still not 100% convinced on this one.

I think the email i received was just bad communication from using an out of date template.
      Much of what was in there had no relation to my 1571 cancellation.

It was retentions that i chose to speak to.
      Partly because they generally are a cut above & also so i could ask the hypothetical question:
      "If i cancelled tv would my 7.50 for broadband rise to 10"?
      I have faith that she was correct in saying no & the advice regarding anyone who is still paying it.
      She was extremely clear on those points & also the 0845 / 0870 charges from july.

What wasn't discussed in greater detail was the 5 for not having sky talk supplement, other than that "it is no more" & "anyone still paying a supplement just needs to phone in & agree to new terms".
      I really should have pressed a bit further on that one.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

For anyone with questions about telephone pricing structure changes occurring on 1st July the following website should provide most of the answers:

FAQs | UK Calling

Note: These changes are being introduces by Ofcom and effect all mainland UK telecommunications operators not just Sky.