Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By coipu

Line Rental dilemma

This is a discussion on Line Rental dilemma within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; My dear ol' mum joined in 2009 and has never been charged line rental. It shows correctly on view my ...

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pfSense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Line Rental dilemma

My dear ol' mum joined in 2009 and has never been charged line rental. It shows correctly on view my package but never has been charged. Bless her she is old school and wrote letters of complaint (kept copies) and it was resolved by a Mr P**** D****** chap who reassured her everything was golden, my mum (being ancient) believed him and even wrote another letter praising him and thanking him. She had line training activated and noticed her internet going slowly hence calling in tech support (me) and I find she is still not being charged correctly we are up to around 72 months now of not being charged line rental. She pays her bills on time I feel this is Sky's cockup and they should be liable, I've advised her to try and tell them again that they are wrong but she is awfully frightened of a 1000+ bill suddenly appearing. Anyone heard of anything similar or have any ideas on liability from a legal standpoint?
      cheers

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Line Rental dilemma

This happened to my dad & our local water company.

I noticed after about 18 months & when i phoned on his behalf they said it's policy to only backdate bills for exactly 1 year from the day the mistake was discovered, which is what they did.

I've no idea if that's law or up to each company.
      I bet this chap knows: Martin Lewis - find out about the Money Saving Expert

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gymno For This Useful Post:

coipu (03-01-15)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks I shall ask there too!

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK, long time coming but I rang Sky on her behalf as she was way too nervous. Sky were brilliant to be fair, acknowledged their error put everything right altered the package to get fibre and drop TV. The advisor then said we were not liable for any line rental as it was Skys fault (so I got her name and tag number straight away ) so job sorted.
      gymno likes this.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by coipu View Post
      OK, long time coming but I rang Sky on her behalf as she was way too nervous. Sky were brilliant to be fair, acknowledged their error put everything right altered the package to get fibre and drop TV. The advisor then said we were not liable for any line rental as it was Skys fault (so I got her name and tag number straight away ) so job sorted.
      I'm pretty sure that will have been a gesture of good will or maybe even sky's own policy, rather than law.

Nice result.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If adding fibre has changed the line from WLR to SVBN then this should sort out the problem otherwise the situation may carry on as before. Either way it would be interesting to see how it appears on your Mum's next Sky bill.

I've known something similar with BT not charging for broadband for eighteen months following a house move.
      BT had been told about it but their only action was to reduce the budget account monthly payments.
      In the end they sent a letter of apology confirming that there would not be any backdated charges.
      That was the trigger to move services to Sky. So much for brand loyalty.