Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New 1571 feature

This is a discussion on New 1571 feature within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I just picked up a message using 1571 & there was an extra notification there regarding a missed call from ...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

New 1571 feature

I just picked up a message using 1571 & there was an extra notification there regarding a missed call from yesterday.

I've never had that before so assume it's a new thing?
      Could be handy for those with basic phones which don't log missed calls.

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: New 1571 feature

I've let a few missed calls happen since & none are recognised by 1571.

Whatever happened before is definitely something different to the 1471 service, which merely notes the last number that called me.

Is there something i'm missing here?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Whether the call goes to 1571 depends on whether the caller left a message. I have mine disabled. With a digital answer machine there is no real need for it and my phone stores all calls whether they are answered or not. 1471 only records the last call made, so you don't really know if you have missed any calls which are not on the answer machine.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

What happened was i missed a call on the 25th & no message was left.
      I then missed another call on the 26th & they did leave a message, indicated by the dual dial tone.

So i ring 1571 to listen to the message just left, but have this extra notification.
      It went something like: "You have one recorded message & one missed call".

I listened to the message, deleted it using the 3 button & then pressed 1 to hear all the details of the missed call from the day before, such as number & time, with options to call back, store etc.

This has never happened before or since.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I just figured out that this happens when a caller leaves it ringing long enough for voicemail to kick in, but hangs up before the tone to leave a message is heard.

No dual dial tone is produced when this occurs.

The notification is:
      "A person has tried to reach you. Call received today at... From..." etc.

Is this new?

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Whether the call goes to 1571 depends on whether the caller left a message.*1 I have mine disabled. With a digital answer machine there is no real need for it and my phone stores all calls whether they are answered or not. 1471 only records the last call made,*2 so you don't really know if you have missed any calls which are not on the answer machine.
      *1 Obviously not.
      *2 1471 records the last call received.

JPL
      JPL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

I am amazed that anyone uses a local answerphone when the facility is available at the exchange. But then I am old enough to remember dial-up internet access - it was a great step forward for mankind when exchange based voicemail was introduced by BT and a caller could leave a message while you were on the internet for hours.
      JPL

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
      I am amazed that anyone uses a local answerphone when the facility is available at the exchange.

Because a home answerphone offers better notification such as flashing light, audible alert or text display of messages waiting? Plus better customisation of messages, time dependant etc?

Personally, I use a landline so infrequently that I'd have to keep remembering to pick up a handset to check for a dial tone notification. Which would be a right pain.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I'm not stuck that far back in the dark ages.

My phone does have caller display, so if i miss one that's what's displayed on screen.
      Which in turn prompts me to press the green button & see if there's a dual dial tone.

This logging of missed calls must be a new thing though surely?
      I've had sky talk since late 2011 & the scenario where it occurs must have happened 100's of times before now.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      *1 Obviously not.
      *2 1471 records the last call received.
      1. Doesn't this confirm it
      I just figured out that this happens when a caller leaves it ringing long enough for voicemail to kick in, but hangs up before the tone to leave a message is heard.
      2. That's what I meant. My point is that it only records the last call, you could miss 10 calls but only get notified about the last one.

My first answer machine was a Panasonic. It was about the size of a small suitcase and cost about 200, with one handset if I remember correctly, which was a lot of money in the early 70s. It served me well until I gave up my business in the late 90s

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast