Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Nuisance calls

This is a discussion on Nuisance calls within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Thanks for the info. It's good to know that those call blockers do work. Should have got my mum one ...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Nuisance calls

Thanks for the info.
      It's good to know that those call blockers do work.
      Should have got my mum one for christmas.

It's a shame that people have to resort to such measures though.

I recall watching a BBC documentary on this subject once & although it appears the TPS do have a lot of clout, i don't think they've ever actually taken a company to court.

2. Advertisement
      Tazmaniandevil is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cameronian Street
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by winnywood View Post
      Please dont be to hasty in criticism of sky because the do provide a good service.
      Yeah..... sorry Chief. In my experience, since I joined in December, the service has been dreadful.
      If my details have been passed on, and I'm not saying they have, this is a severe breach of the Data Protection Act.
      I can't help being suspicious given the circumstances. Anyroad - I'm sure it will all be fine once I move to my new provider next week

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Did you set up your preferences? To do this log into your MySky page and click the Marketing and Personalisation Links.

If your number is in the 'wild' and your taking it with you, going to another provider is not going to stop the calls. Unfortunately the so called Marketing calls are a fact of life and nothing short of government action will stop them. The fake computer help scam is a global problem, effecting just about anyone in the world who has a phone number.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

One of the major sources of nuisance calls is VoIP from abroad (mainly India). I was receiving so many that I used my Call Blocker to bar incoming VoIP and International calls. One type that is very difficult to deal with is where the nuisance caller mimics a UK number and so can bypass many blockers as it is no longer private nor VoIP. Nowadays with unknown numbers I don't answer the phone until the answer machine starts and I can screen the incoming call - 99% drop the line when the nuisance callers system spots an answer machine.

One VERY persistent caller on both landline and mobile as well as SMS asks Miss Clare Partington to call the following number. I must have received that call (from a UK number that changes but isn't private) dozens of time.

If you ever buy online and have to give a phone number as part of the ordering process than you are almost guaranteed to receive nuisance calls within days of divulging your number. It seems common practice to sell your customers number even if you've ticked the correct box 'I don't want to share my info'.

Tom is quite correct - changing your provider but keeping your number will have zero effect on the number of calls received. The only solution is a new number and not tell anyone that number. However that isn't totally foolproof as some nuisance caller use a random dialler to call numbers on selected exchanges.

Thanks

My number should not be "in the wild" as I always choose not to have a directory entry, and if buying online etc. always give a mobile number.
      I always choose to refuse as the saying goes when it comes to marketing preferences.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmaniandevil View Post
      My number should not be "in the wild" as I always choose not to have a directory entry, and if buying online etc. always give a mobile number.
      I always choose to refuse as the saying goes when it comes to marketing preferences.
      If you are receiving nuisance calls then your number is in the wild. The question is how it got there. For example when ordering on-line the seller will often insist on the ability to use your number for that order which means it's passed on to the courier and you have no agreement with him............it's all part of the modern world I'm afraid.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

As Tom has mentioned, go to the sky.com website and click on the 'My Sky' link.

I do not know what the current default settings are so I don't know whether they are going to be good or bad.

As for nuisance calls, we have all received them at some time or the other. If you are registered with the TPS, check again as I believe it has a time limit. Also all it takes is just one firm to take your details and misuse them.

Check too any recent reports of sites which have been hacked or where the data is being used in an unsuitable manner. Have you ever used them and provided your details? One such issue at the moment is Barclays Bank.

BBC News - Barclays customer data 'stolen and sold', newspaper says

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      If you are receiving nuisance calls then your number is in the wild. The question is how it got there. For example when ordering on-line the seller will often insist on the ability to use your number for that order which means it's passed on to the courier and you have no agreement with him............it's all part of the modern world I'm afraid.
      I only ever give a mobile number, never the landline number. I have never had these issues before

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12