Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Line Tests

This is a discussion on Line Tests within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Can anyone please tell me exactly what a Sky line test involves? Apparently 3 such tests were carried out on ...

Tazmaniandevil is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cameronian Street
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Line Tests

Can anyone please tell me exactly what a Sky line test involves?
      Apparently 3 such tests were carried out on my line and all passed. I kept complaining about not being able to make/receive calls and eventually the EST arranged for BTOpenreach to come out on Saturday.
      The engineer plugged a device into the test socket and diagnosed a line fault, which was traced back to the exchange.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Line Tests

Just as connecting a tester to the NTE5 test socket ignores any faults with your local wiring running a test from the exchange will ignore any exchange faults prior to the point at which the test is applied.

The majority of faults on an electronic digital telephone exchange would be flagged up automatically within seconds of them occurring however some faults would only become apparent under call conditions.
      On analogue exchanges such faults would be found by automatic routiners making simulated calls in the early hours of the morning when the exchange was at its quietest. They would typically make one thousand calls per night which meant that a fault could go unnoticed for days unless the effected subscriber reported it.

I am sure that tests on modern electronic exchanges can be performed much quicker however there is still the possibility that an end user may become aware of a fault before it is diagnosed by the automated test equipment.

Thanks

O-kay... Please excuse my ignorance here. Does this mean the Sky line test is only applied between their end and the exchange, ignoring the circuit from the exchange to my master socket?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmaniandevil View Post
      O-kay... Please excuse my ignorance here. Does this mean the Sky line test is only applied between their end and the exchange, ignoring the circuit from the exchange to my master socket?
      No their line test will check your line. It will not check the equipment in the exchange, in the same way that a line test conducted from the NTE5 test socket at your residence will not check your internal wiring. Testing of the exchange equipment is a separate function and as I pointed out previously diagnosing certain types of fault depends on routine testing and may not show up immediately.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

Tazmaniandevil (04-02-14)

Thanks

Cheers. It's good to know how these things work.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This has confused me!! Dosent take much I know :-) I assumed that if you take your phone service and broadband from Sky then the phone service is routed through Sky equipment in the exchange, so surely the only thing that can go wrong is the bit of wire between your house and the exchange, and the Sky equipment in the exchange??
      So if it is Sky equipment in the exchange handle the calls then it is Sky's job to test ALL there equipment if someone reports a problem?

Kev.
      Last edited by Koala5; 04-02-14 at 02:43 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koala5 View Post
      So if it is Sky equipment in the exchange handle the calls then it is Sky job to test ALL there equipment if someone reports a problem?

Kev.
      I don't know Sky's procedures but I can only assume that when a fault occurs Sky trusts its telephone switching equipment to be self reporting and >99% of the time this is probably true.
      If the automated test equipment doesn't find a fault then an engineers visit would be required as it is unlikely that the exchange would be permanently manned.
      Whether to send the engineer to the exchange or the end user's premises is a moot point. Get it wrong, as in this case, and a second visit is required.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If it is the exchange I think it is, then it is a very large one and is permanently manned.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

What the engineer told me in this instance was that no cease order was raised by Sky for my old service so I am still connected to the equipment installed by my last provider. In order to make my Sky service work, a pair of wires was strung between 2 cabinets, which is what caused the line fault.
      Sky, naturally, are denying this.

My conclusion is, as it was when Sky failed to book my switch with BTO in the first instance, someone somewhere is telling me porkies.
      I know who I am inclined to believe.
      This line fault, and Sky's failure to address the issue, is the reason I am leaving after less than 3 months. It was the last straw. I just do not understand why a company would consistently refuse to take ownership of failures.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

In order to make my Sky service work, a pair of wires was strung between 2 cabinets, which is what caused the line fault.
      That is what normally happens. It is what is known as a 'tie pair' which transfers the service from the main cabinet to the Sky one. If you were still on your old ISPs equipment you would not be able to get Sky, so someone is telling porkies. If the work has not been carried out properly or faulty material has been used, that is down to BTO, who have complete control over what happens in their exchanges.

I just do not understand why a company would consistently refuse to take ownership of failures.
      I have to agree there, BTO consistently refuse to accept the blame for anything that goes wrong.
      LiamMc03 and gymno like this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast