Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

So fedup with Sky and TT..

This is a discussion on So fedup with Sky and TT.. within the Sky Talk forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi, my father transfered his phone and BB to Sky from TalkTalk several months ago now ( worse thing he ...

Kmog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02920
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

So fedup with Sky and TT..

Hi, my father transfered his phone and BB to Sky from TalkTalk several months ago now ( worse thing he could have done in my opinion )

Obviously between TT & Sky they failed to port his phone number, prob TT didnt release it and Sky just pushed ahead with the switch as usual..

Anyway after MANY phone calls to both and each blaming the other etc.. It seems the ONLY way to get his phone number back is to switch to a BT line rental and hopefully Sky (BT?) can get them their number back.. I hope this true and not just another load of B$..

The old phone number is now dead and I have been told by TT that it has gone back to BT..
      I`ll believe that when I contact Openreach to confirm and if this is possible..

This is a real pain and may seem trivial to many but its causing my elderly parents problems as they forget they have a diff number, cant remember the new number and keep giving their old number. Doctors/Hospital etc..

How much would this switch to BT for line rental cost? Transfer costs and penalties etc..?
      Also can Sky operate on a BT line?
      Would I be better off just waiting till end of contract and just switch to BT?

Any advice MUCH appreciated..

2. Advertisement
      bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: So fedup with Sky and TT..

Quote Originally Posted by Kmog View Post
      Hi, my father transfered his phone and BB to Sky from TalkTalk several months ago now ( worse thing he could have done in my opinion )

Obviously between TT & Sky they failed to port his phone number, prob TT didnt release it and Sky just pushed ahead with the switch as usual..

Anyway after MANY phone calls to both and each blaming the other etc.. It seems the ONLY way to get his phone number back is to switch to a BT line rental and hopefully Sky (BT?) can get them their number back.. I hope this true and not just another load of B$..

The old phone number is now dead and I have been told by TT that it has gone back to BT..
      I`ll believe that when I contact Openreach to confirm and if this is possible..

This is a real pain and may seem trivial to many but its causing my elderly parents problems as they forget they have a diff number, cant remember the new number and keep giving their old number. Doctors/Hospital etc..

How much would this switch to BT for line rental cost? Transfer costs and penalties etc..?
      Also can Sky operate on a BT line?
      Would I be better off just waiting till end of contract and just switch to BT?

Any advice MUCH appreciated..
      The only reason your number would be dead is if you cancelled with talktalk.
      This would mean that no provider could take over the number.

If you had placed a number port request with Sky then that process would have cancelled the number with talktalk when Sky took it over.
      If talktalk had failed to allow the number port request from Sky then this should have resulted in the Sky order failing and they would have had to place a new order with a new number.
      Sky would have called to confirm you wanted to go ahead this way.

BT might be able to recover the number providing it hasn't been allocated to another customer (unlikely) given that there is supposed to be a 6 months wait.
      My understanding though is that a number cancelled on one provider is then re-used by that same provider ~6 months later for a new customer.

Is it possible that you didn't follow this process correctly?
      Otherwise you may need to escalate this process through Sky's and talktalk's senior executive escalation processes but this will still probably result in having to keep the new number.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I helped a friend switch from TalkTalk to Sky about 18 months ago.

The order process would not allow Sky to take the number from TT and TT kept billing her for the next 6 months, despite knowing that she had moved away from them.

Their excuse was that they thought that she might like to keep the same number on her new provider's line. Thankfully she had cancelled her Direct Debit with TT and they couldn't take any more money from her. However they threatened her with the Bailiffs. I suspect that they also gave her a bad credit rating for non-payment of a debt she never owed but we never looked into this at the time.

There is something in the system with TT making it difficult for people to migrate their number across from TT to Sky. It is no excuse for their incompetence and the issue should have been fixed a long time ago.

Also the number had originally been issued by TT as she had not previously been with BT.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Number porting issues with Talk Talk are very common, sadly. And once that happens, the number is usually gone.

janitor is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01983
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Switching to BT is unlikely to achieve anything, if BT could get you the number back, there would be no reason sky or TalkTalk couldn't do it, BT retail have no more power over BT wholesale/open reach than any other provider. So can't really see how BT would be able to get the number back if sky or TalkTalk can't.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      The only reason your number would be dead is if you cancelled with talktalk.
      This would mean that no provider could take over the number.

If you had placed a number port request with Sky then that process would have cancelled the number with talktalk when Sky took it over.
      If talktalk had failed to allow the number port request from Sky then this should have resulted in the Sky order failing and they would have had to place a new order with a new number.
      Sky would have called to confirm you wanted to go ahead this way.

BT might be able to recover the number providing it hasn't been allocated to another customer (unlikely) given that there is supposed to be a 6 months wait.
      My understanding though is that a number cancelled on one provider is then re-used by that same provider ~6 months later for a new customer.

Is it possible that you didn't follow this process correctly?
      Otherwise you may need to escalate this process through Sky's and talktalk's senior executive escalation processes but this will still probably result in having to keep the new number.
      The TT cancellation was part of the switch to Sky, my father certainly didnt request a cancellation from TT. It was all handled between Sky/TT.

The line was still active (unavailable when dialed) for over a week after the transfer, during this time I was phoning Sky/TT to get it transfered but both were busy blaming the other, nothing happening and given the run around.
      The line went dead and further calls to either their response was " If only you had contacted us when the line was still active... "

He had definitely requested a number port, Sky confirmed the request had been made but "oops sorry nothing we can do.. now give us the cash"
      My brother and sister had both successfully switched to Sky from TT and this gave my father the confidence to switch as he was very concerned about losing his number. Sod`s law I guess..

Your second paragraph is the way it should work but unfortunately Sky just goes ahead regardless (like all ISP`) , there was no phone call.

TT have said they no longer own the number so I cant see how it could be given to any new TT customer..

I don't believe that it cant be recovered its Sky just doesn't want to go through the process..

I will try and contact BT to see if the number can be applied to the line if he transfers to them..
      I say "try" because BT like all ISP` hide away any useful contact details..

Thanks for the replies, I know I may well be flogging a dead horse but gonna keep trying..

Thanks

Could I suggest an email to the Executive team at Sky?

You may get a more detailed response, but I am unsure in this instance what can happen.

email: jeremy.darroch at bskyb.com

The email won't be dealt with by Jeremy Darroch, but will instead be passed to a team of people who deal with high level complaints. Try to put your whole case together in a concise manner. Also since this is about your parent's account you may need to include something to indicate that you have their consent to discuss their account.

As for any promises from BT, based upon what I have seen on the forums, I would be very loath to believe them. Be very careful there. Remember that they are after one thing and one thing only: sales.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Kmog (16-01-14)

Thanks

Thanks Scubbie, dad and I will knock our heads together to get all the details of what happened into an email..

My father is still good at putting these type of official letters/emails together (80+ but still got it upstairs thank God), its just the old telephone number is engrained in his DNA.. Its been several months now and he still cant help but give the old phone number..

I appreciate your responses guys and apologise for all the as you can guess I am extremely fedup with both Sky/TT..

I`ll let you know what their response.

Thanks..

Thanks

No problem.

I trust that whilst that issue is upsetting, you can see that you are not alone, which is often a good help.

What the specific is I do not know. I would love to blame TT, but I have never had access to the intricate systems involved, nor am I involved in the politics between the two companies.

The problem must be known about, but someone somewhere needs a polite kick in the rear to get it fixed.

As for yourselves, I think that in this case someone should step up and get it fixed but I seriously do not know if this would be possible.

My friend had only moved to her new place just over a year before switching. Since she uses her mobile most of the time, only 3 people had her land-line number, so it was not an issue for her.